• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for shop reccomendation

the_chief

NAXJA Forum User
Mom's 2000 xj 4.0 went to midas today (they replaced her radiator 12 mos ago) as her heater is on the blink. they told her either the head gasket is bad, or the block is cracked and they'd go no further. Looking for a reputable shop to correct the situation. West side of town preferred, but not critical. thanks in advance, David.

IIRC, 2000 was a bad year for cylinder heads. Might even have been a recall or class action?

I imagine a search here would turn up a couple of threads about these heads and might give you a better idea of what to expect for repairs.

A hydrocarbon test would turn up positive if you've got a bad head gasket or cracked block so that's an easy first step a shop could do.

If my heater was on the blink I'd check or replate the 3-way valve (forget it's name) that is inline between the t-stat housing and the heater core. I'm not 100% sure on the 00's since they were the last revision but on older ones it's vaccum actuated and lots of potential for gremlins there.

If all you're looking for is a good repair shop I hear Astro Auto is a good shop and knows jeeps pretty well, 4x4's in general.

Quality Auto Works best in town and honest as the day is long. Good People!!!
633-1600
Tell Paul that JD Murray sent ya.

OH just east of DT on boulder

Back