• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for quality pistons?

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
After much deliberation, I'm going to be pulling my motor again soon and assessing the noise/damage. I'm 90% sure I'll find either a knocking piston pin or a cracked skirt. The more I ponder the noise, the more I think back to the rebuild and little things that happened during it. When I was pressing the pistons onto the rods, one got stuck halfway in. We had to heat up the piston, press out the pin, and re-install - hoping for the best. Another thing I TOTALLY forgot about, was that when I got my block and pistons back from the machine shop it appeared one of the pistons had been dropped. There were some little dings it in that looks exactly like rock marks in the corner or a cell phone when you drop it on pavement. They were tiny, and I filed any burrs smooth, but who knows maybe one is SLIGHtLY mis-shaped. The pistons came in the "enginetech" kit that I bought. It seemed like a reputable company from the reviews I found online, but the shop I had bore the block said the pistons were DEFINITELY not American made... but that "it shouldn't be an issue"... right.

So now my question, what are some good quality pistons? I don't need anything crazy like Keith Blacks or Mahle etc. But I would like them to be USA made, of good quality, and decent price. Same question goes for matching rings, any preferences? Block is .030" over.

If you change pistons you will need to get your block bored to fit those pistons, unless they have the exact same dimensions as the current pistons and are of the same material. You can't just swap pistons like that. Heating the piston up enough to expand the rod to remove that pin could have definitely caused some problems.

For cast/hyper pistons there really isn't that much of a quality difference. I would just get one or two more of the same pistons from engine tech and verify that the size is the same as what you have now.

Oh I see, so each cylinder is specifically honed after boring to fit each piston? Makes sense. I'll see what is available from Enginetech. I'd also like to know what brand they were, since there was NO marking on the box, nor the piston itself. Just a directional arrow. Is there anything I should do to the suspected cylinder's rod while it's out?

Nope, nothing. My stock pistons had a black, what looked like "anti-friction" rectangle on the skirts. Of course it was pretty worn through and beat. But these didn't have anything on them. All aluminum, an arrow on top, no other markings whatsoever.

Good rods and good pistons are almost priceless !!! You just never will regret paying for some forged rods with the H-beam design and good pistons wit full-float wrist pins. You are on the right track... Made in the USA rules ! I skip full lunch every day and just eat 2 oranges at my desk so i can save up the coins for 4340 FORGED STEEL CONNECTING RODS w/ ARP 8740 CAP-SCREWS !!! That ARP stuff is all made in America, and their cylinder head studs rule...

Lol crimson I laughed at your post. You know what maybe they are decent pistons? I'm gonna call Enginetech monday and see if I can get some more details on them.

If your rotating assembly is bulletproof (rods and pistons) you can run it worry free (providing you have adequate lubrication and other obvious things).

I also insist on USA made parts. This even includes brake pads for the econobeater I drive every day. I like the quality, and like to know I'm supporting my country.

Back