• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a roof rack recommendation

While everyone is discussing tires and hi lifts on an assortment of racks. One thing to keep in mind is that if you use the factory rails or crossbars, They probably are only rated to 100-150#'s total. With a rack that mounts to the gutters it should handle closer to 100-150# per cross bar.

If you plan on wheeling with a 33 or larger tire, hi lift, and the rack it's self you are really pushing the limits of a rack on the factory crossbars or rails.

Just for info.
Michael

Is there a tire size limit on the surco roof rack? I mean, im not going huge by any means, but just curios as to what it can handle.

The Con-Ferr rack is pretty nice, but I guess they don't make them anymore. I can stand on my rack with no problems. All the weight up top, and having to get the tire down every now and then is a real pain. The only time I use mine is when I go camping, then when I offroad everything comes down. I also had a tire swing out, but hated not being able to see out the back window, so now my spare is in the cab. Now I have way less room. No real winner here.

Is getting a roof rack even worth all of it? I mean, looks great and great for the extra storage space, but in the long run do the cons seem to outweigh the pros? I hear a ton of people who complain about the fuel economy drains and such, and I undersatnd the reasons. But is it only huge losses with a spare tire up there or even with the rack and lights would I see huge economy losses? Aka, in the long run, do most of y'all seem to like you rack or regret purchasing it?

regret.

my hi-lift got caught on a tree in a tight trail section twisted up my rack mounts which were easily fixed, but the torn up gutter rails weren't.

I'm running no swaybars and the x-tra weight on the roof is killer! the instability on the trail is horrible, and the mileage is super ultra crappy. I

I can't figure out when it is actually practical to have the damn thing.

long trips = no .......mileage goes down the crapper.
trail = no I almost flopped where cj's and tjs were just a little uncomfortable
around town to keep spare out of cab = no. Mileage and instability combine to make it a chitty dd

oh wait......its cool looking......car shows? = no, rock modifications and pinstriping gurantee I would always have ugliest in show.

unless an FC also entered

yeah, i see what ya mean, its more or less a situation where I could pick up a rack for 200, have the exra storage for bringing stuff to and from school when i need it (not like i need it that often, bu still) as well as have a place to keep my spare since it wont really fit well in the back. So I am kinda stuck as to what I am doing, I cant afford a rear bumper/tire carrier or I would def do that instead. I mean, i have a 2 dr and could def get away with tearing out the rear seats and fabbing up something for the back, but I like the seats there even if I dont use them often. Anyone have recomedations on what to do with an oversize spare if I wanted to steer clear of a rack?

In addition to my above comments, my main concern is economy loss. I know to expect some due to the drag, esp at highway speeds, but should I be expecting 2-3 mpg loss or like 5+? Off road if I was doing anything serious I would most likely be bringing the tire into the vehicle as when wheeling I dont usually have more than 2 people in my car so it could be done, and same on long trips. Its just the around the town type of driving I need the tire out of my car for. I cant afford a bumper/tire carrier or I would take that route. Only other option I can see having is either fabbing up a cage inside with a tire mount on it, idk. but that would still very much limit visibility as well as space. Any recomendations on where to keep an oversize spare if not using a rack or tire carrier? Like I said, if mileage is only dropped 2-3 mpg I could deal, but it all depends.

I have the Surco 45x60 and see no loss in mileage at all when it's empty. I used to hang it up in the garage when not in use, but left it on the last 6 months or so. Still get 18 - 19 mpg.

Fully loaded with the wind at my back on a trip last year I actually got 20 mpg. But, on the way back...into the wind, got about 15 mpg. No spare tire up there, just camping stuff wrapped in a tarp.

EDIT - Sorry, I forgot I don't have a sig line here. For reference, I have a '93 stock XJ - 4.0L HO - AW4 - 4X4

Last edited:
I set the cruise at 80 and the mileage is 12 with rack and spare, 13-14 with just rack, and 16 with no rack

slower driving will yield smaller differences.

bowhunter said:
Got it from Summit Racing Im using the j100 rail mounts you can also get the gm100 gutter mounts. I like the j100 mounts and used my factory cross bars and mounted the rack to them as well.
55e7.jpg

67de.jpg

Not my jeep but what I did.

Also bolted it down up front:

76188324.jpg

76188331.jpg

77680792.jpg

81691099.jpg

:wave:

I Have the Garvin-Wilderness rack "sport rack"..
I was able to get it at about half the price so I was willing.. regular the Garvins are way over priced at 500$ each with floor and roof mount [gutter or factory rack rail ]..

PIC:
x1pUr2osLO3XWiv91_3U7wTAuP8bIggo1-acWER81O-N43FTvZdu_pDWTbkxOqxwmQx9vnYm-Rjt8YPPv2ElWiM_wQI0VBlKt0wMZP1jddl4r2OSKdUablwSVDKF_EgFeUZ4WTpFBv9RCI

Having rotated my tires and other crap myself, I would never consider putting a 33" tire up on my roof.. I think that it is hard enough to get it on and off of the swing out on the rear let alone the top... and yes COG is a huge issue..
I have my roof rack for adventure reasons.. camping etc.. not for wheeling so much. I would never put more than 150# up there simply due to handling and road behavior issues.

As far as seeing out of the rear window, for the same price as a good roof rack you could get a small rear mirror emmedded LCD and rear camera set up.. install it yourself and it would be on all the time instead of only in reverse..

I like seeing out of the rear but more importanly i like not rolling the jeep.

Lastly the MPG thing sucks in general.. 99% of Mods that we do reduce the MPG and some of them drastically since I reset my computer when I installed my overhead console about a 6 months ago, my numbers have gone down and down..

Recently I reset it again afterputting on my front warn bumper and the rear swing out + moving from 265 to 285 [33"] tires I am now at 9.6 mpg with the regular speado gear set...... so I think I more at 12 or something....
whatever it is it sucks...gonna have to get a DD instead and garage the jeep for awile...

Aaron

Last edited:
I picked up the "cheap" ebay rack for 75 bucks off a buddy of mine and put in on some Thule load bars. I put my 31" spare up there and some tools etc... It does not look bad but I don't like it one bit. As stated in other posts my COG is WAY high and driving Icelands "roads" gets scary at times. I am a some what fit dude and getting the spare off the roof can be interesting also. I want to ditch the rack and get a bumper carrier asap......as always IMO.....

unless when of the better little shops out there is marketing one in the last year i dont know about i can only think of three i would spend my money on ... well two really since the ARB one is two pricey but it is nice.

1. Kevins http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/roof_rack.html
2. Naxja's very own farmer matt, i dont know if he is still making them but his was nice.
3. ARB if you gotta have the bling name and have cash burning a hole in your pocket.

4. if your not liking these making a roofrack would be a good first project, and you can get custom and add to it as you see fit in the future. I would borrow very heavily from farmer matts and kevins rack.

my kargomaster rack was $300 and is super tough. I hauled a 350lb toolbox with it and the floor didn't even bow. the factory rack mounts for this keep it close to the roof as well. don't see the point of spending $500 or more when a $300 rack will do the same thing.

my kargo master bowed when I put my spare on it. See thats the thing, when you mount your spare to the roof, its only the weight of the tire. What is not often considered is that YOU have to SECURE the thing.

And when you do it will fold like a taco :D

Back