• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limit flex when lifting

ai2160

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!

I have a 6.5" full traction lift and 35s on my '97 XJ. I use the hi-lift mount points on my JCR front bumper and my 48" hi-lift jack maxes out before the tire is off the ground. To be clear, the vehicle goes up quite a bit but, the tire stays on the ground due to the flex.

I just installed roof rack mounts for hi-lift jack and prefer not to upgrade to a 60", which is what folks on the forum have recommended. I have seen some videos on youtube where folks have used ratchet straps to limit flex and easily lift the tire off the ground on a land cruiser. I would like to try that.

My question is, what should I wrap the ratchet strap around to prevent the wheel from slopping?

Cheers!

Limit straps and proper bumpstops

Put the stock bottle jack back under the back seat and add a few pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 lumber, if you want to change tires. Hi-lift for that is last resort kind of stuff.

We used to use a cheap ratchet strap before jacking to hold the axle up.

Truly...without some of these attachments listed and a bit of ingenuity, I find a hi-lift to be pretty useless. Much smaller and lighter items (scissor and bottle jacks) tend to work better for me most of the time.

I still hold tight to mine (64") thinking the day will come that I really want it...but it has yet to come.

Truly...without some of these attachments listed and a bit of ingenuity, I find a hi-lift to be pretty useless. Much smaller and lighter items (scissor and bottle jacks) tend to work better for me most of the time.

I still hold tight to mine (64") thinking the day will come that I really want it...but it has yet to come.

I carry all three. I have a jack stand combo bottle jack unit and my hilift with some attachments. Ill be adding a scissor jack to my arsenal as well. However i use my hilift almost every time i go out for either my rig or someone elses.

Do you have rock sliders? If I use the hilift on my bumper the axle droop does the same thing as you describe and I can't get my tires off. I had some foot long 2x4 lying around from another task so I stacked 6 horizontal and then 2 vertically with a couple inches sticking up to act as protection against the bumper falling off the jack... so it gets high enough now, using a spacer. But tbh it is SUPER sketch! The jeep isn't stable and it wants to fall to either side. It'll work as an only option on the trail, but I'd lift from slider before going bumper.. it starts too high and lifts both at once.

Ratchet strap could help keep the suspension from unloading and continue drooping, I'd go to sway bar or around the motor mount if I absolutely had to.

Do you have rock sliders? If I use the hilift on my bumper the axle droop does the same thing as you describe and I can't get my tires off. I had some foot long 2x4 lying around from another task so I stacked 6 horizontal and then 2 vertically with a couple inches sticking up to act as protection against the bumper falling off the jack... so it gets high enough now, using a spacer. But tbh it is SUPER sketch! The jeep isn't stable and it wants to fall to either side. It'll work as an only option on the trail, but I'd lift from slider before going bumper.. it starts too high and lifts both at once.

Ratchet strap could help keep the suspension from unloading and continue drooping, I'd go to sway bar or around the motor mount if I absolutely had to.

This is 100% the case. I have a log that is about 6" tall. If I put the traction boards on the ground, then the log and then put the hi-lift on the log, it gets the wheel off the ground.

There seems to be a stronger consensus around using a traditional bottle/scissor jack for changing tires. It makes sense. I should just get one and keep it under the rear seat. The stock screw type bottle jack is missing the handle/crank.

Here is a super sketchy use of hi-lift jack. I wouldn't have thought of it if I were in this guy's situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01E1m7YF_2E

I think with some ratchet straps around the axle and sway bar or motor mount you could keep the suspension from fully drooping and change a tire ok the trail. The wooden spacer isn't my favorite... using the slider would definitely be my first choice. Even if the hilift is in a base, it still wants to teeder-totter from side to side ie passenger to driver or left to right. I had the jeep fall off the hilift fromt bumper lift once. I woke up to 2 front flats and thought the hilift on front bumper best due to floor jack not being low enough,, so I know I'd be super sketch about being under it when lifting from the front on the trail.. uneven terrain withstanding.. this happened in my flat garage.

I'm interested what bottle or scissor jack goes high enough to change a 35-37" tire. A low profile floor jack would probably be a good trail jack. Got me rethinkn my trail gear now

Last edited:
Put the stock bottle jack back under the back seat and add a few pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 lumber, if you want to change tires. Hi-lift for that is last resort kind of stuff.
Lol, this is exactly what I do. I have about 8 4x4s cut so they stack in the floor behind the driver seat.

I think with some ratchet straps around the axle and sway bar or motor mount you could keep the suspension from fully drooping and change a tire ok the trail. The wooden spacer isn't my favorite... using the slider would definitely be my first choice. Even if the hilift is in a base, it still wants to teeder-totter from side to side ie passenger to driver or left to right. I had the jeep fall off the hilift fromt bumper lift once. I woke up to 2 front flats and thought the hilift on front bumper best due to floor jack not being low enough,, so I know I'd be super sketch about being under it when lifting from the front on the trail.. uneven terrain withstanding.. this happened in my flat garage.

I'm interested what bottle or scissor jack goes high enough to change a 35-37" tire. A low profile floor jack would probably be a good trail jack. Got me rethinkn my trail gear now
You're welcome. lol. https://brennans-garage.com/products/tauler-jack-kit

That ratchet strap thing is s ton of extra work.
This is the jack setup i use.

Powerbuilt 3 Ton, Bottle Jack and Jack Stands in One, 6000 Pound All-in-One Car Lift, Heavy Duty Vehicle Unijack, 640912 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EPXZW0PENGV3Y6T0PW0E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It will easily lift my rig with 37s. Its a little tall if the tire is completely flat. In that senario i use my hilift and this attachment to lift it to a height where the jack stand will fit.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/hi-li...MI1-6B9onA9wIV2wytBh3oCQziEAQYBiABEgIEo_D_BwE

I have not been in a scenario I couldn’t resolve with these tools safely.

That mini hilift thingy is kinda cool!

Super liking that bottlejack/stand combo unit. Maybe harbor freight has one made in China for cheaper (cheapass)

Last edited:
Except you can't change the tire while using it?

He says he uses it with a jack stand. Jack to lift wheel, then place it on jack stand, then remove jack.

I've carrier a high lift under my back seat for years. Never once used it. I've gotten away with a bottle jack under the axle tube when I've needed it. Been wanting to add a traditional floor jack to my kit for awhile. Seems like the safest and most convenient option.

Back