• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a Comanche! (Intro thread)

cjomanche

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

I just registered over at ComancheClub and was told that I might want to join here, as well. I was under the impression that this is solely an XJ club, but apparently MJ's are allowed too :)

I went to the Death Valley area last month with my (somewhat) built 1st gen Xterra and saw that my friend had recently purchased a Jeep Comanche. I had never seen one before (or I haven't been paying attention up until then) and it got me interested. I like my Xterra, overall. It's done well on some challenging trails I've taken it on, but I get the feeling like I will eventually reach its limit. The torsion bar suspension is simply not that good, and to get rid of it, I would need to do a straight axle swap, and at that point I'm looking at some serious money (7-10k is about average, based on what I've seen). The 3" suspension lift that I did is already giving me CV joint problems. I'm having to replace one now, and from what I'm reading, this will become a common problem. Plus, part of me would really like to have a truck again. There's been at least 2 instances this past year where a truck was needed, but all I had was a truck-based SUV.

Anyway, I'm hoping to score a 1991-1992 Comanche, short wheel base, with 4wd. I'm told that it's not too hard to convert a 2wd to 4wd, so that might be an option, as well. I still haven't decided between an auto and a manual. I'm a big fan of manual transmissions, but I do plan on towing a small cargo trailer at some point in the future, and I can remember a few trails I've been on where a manual transmission would have been extremely challenging to deal with, on an already hard trail. Those are the only two things I could think of that would make me want an auto.

Any advice on my search? I'm hoping someone here either knows someone who is selling, or can keep an eye out for me.

Seems like a really great organization you guys have here. I know one of the board of directors, personally. He and my Dad were coworkers for years. He's the master of wheeling in the place we like to go to.

Thanks in advance for your help

I keep my eyes open for a good or decent 91/92 Comanche 4X4 with a 4.0. Extremely hard to find one. My current MJ started out as a 4X2 manual. Converted to 4X4 auto.

I've been looking for a 2nd one. I've seen a few already fixed up.

Good luck, nice to see a new Comanche person!

Welcome to NAXJA!. Please consider supporting our club by becoming a member. You contribution helps keep our trails open, as we donate to land use organizations.

I suspect I know who your friend is in Death Valley :shhh:. I just happened to talk to him tonight. And, please tell your dad I owe him an email.

I agree with the above comments - watch CL, keep an open eye, and don't get too excited about the first thing you see. Your Exterra is quite capable, despite what Noah dragged you over in DV. But an MJ would be very fun. Have cash, and be patient; the right deal will come along.

This club (and associated forum) has a tremendous amount of good tech, with a minimum amount of drama. I hope you enjoy it here.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

I have one, but it would cost you that "serious" money....twice.

Yeah, but yours also is a very "serious' MJ!!

Welcome to NAXJA!. Please consider supporting our club by becoming a member. You contribution helps keep our trails open, as we donate to land use organizations.

I suspect I know who your friend is in Death Valley :shhh:. I just happened to talk to him tonight. And, please tell your dad I owe him an email.

I agree with the above comments - watch CL, keep an open eye, and don't get too excited about the first thing you see. Your Exterra is quite capable, despite what Noah dragged you over in DV. But an MJ would be very fun. Have cash, and be patient; the right deal will come along.

This club (and associated forum) has a tremendous amount of good tech, with a minimum amount of drama. I hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks David! I wasn't going to name drop here at NAXJA like we do in Panamint, lol. It's just nice having friends in high places, you know? :D

The good thing about my situation is I'm not in a big rush for this to happen. I have a 4x4 rig that can do pretty much anything I feel confident enough to do at this point. I'm just thinking long term. I think I'd be happier with a built up MJ than my current rig, but it'll do for now. If anything, I'll let Noah become a pro with his first, then he can help me with mine :cheers:

Thanks again, and happy birthday by the way. I'll let me my dad know.

Welcome to NAXJA!.
I suspect I know who your friend is in Death Valley :shhh:.

I resent that!!! I didn't drag him over anything....he had to let me hook up so I could drag over things. :firedevil

Glad to see you made it over here as well. Like I told you on CC. These guys are by far the best people out there. I still consider SoCal home even though I'm stuck in GA for the time being.

Good luck in your search. There are good deals that pop up in Vegas too. Keep an eye on Craigslist within a 200 mile radius and you'll find your rig.

With they folks here you could get any 87+ MJ and build it the way you want it. These guys know their shit and will help you every step of the way.

Your patience and perseverance will pay off.

My first MJ was a 5-92 and was willing to meet the owner at the Phoenix airport and drive it back home.
That was the beginning of my Comanche addiction.

:)

Just scored another one off of CL, 89 2wd auto longbed in great shape $850! :sunshine:

they are like Lays potato chips, can't have just one!!

Back