• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm vs 3 link? time to decide

You're all wrong.

29p7vio.jpg

Do shocks count as links?

Yup, and including the trackbar, the factory set up is a 7 link. Way stronger, just not longer.

!!!1

Breezio, you just quit while you're ahead where you're at.

well, thanks a bunch for all the really useful information guys it was TONS of help, oh wait sarcasm isn't that great on the interwebz:yelclap:

either one will be good enough. clayton makes some pretty stout stuff. people are just talking shit because they're tired of the 3 link vs. radius arm debate. there are tons of threads about this. if i wasn't so lazy i'd find some. try searching for 3 link under goatman's user name. i know that dude has some good info about this kind of stuff

radius arm setups bind up. however they are designed to do that. they still perform just as well as other setups. crazy flex with super high rti scores don't mean shit. there's nothing wrong with hanging tires.

now a 3 link setup doesn't bind, however you'll need to limit the flex somehow.

both setups have their pros and cons, claytons is a solid company so for a kit it'll be solid either way you go.

well, thanks a bunch for all the really useful information guys it was TONS of help, oh wait sarcasm isn't that great on the interwebz:yelclap:

it looked to me like your question was answered within the first few posts. what else do ya want to know? 95% of the people who wheel with longarms wouldnt be able to tell the difference between radius arms and a 3 or 4 link from just being behind the wheel. they all flex more than the rest of the suspension can handle, they all ride similarly and they all give you better control arm angles.

clayton says so themselves that the 3 link is aimed more towards the competition market. on paper the 3 link is a better performing suspension. if ya wanna look into it start searching on pirate4x4 for discussions on link setup and antisquat and all that fun stuff. the only other difference that might affect your choice is the 3 link uses less forgiving hard cartridge joints on each end of the links iirc. this just means a little more road noise and vibration could be transmitted into the cab.

moar vibrations to shake the dirt off and to keep my milkshake shaken

oh wait...i don't have cupholders...

What KTM said. What else do you want to know? You didn't really ask for technical information, you just said 'which one flex's better?' The answer is a 3/4 link and radius arm kit will flex more than you need. Some people run 60's on a bolt on radius arm kit, other run them on homemade 3/4 links. If you are going with bolt on and want a Clayton kit, any of them will work fine.

Like I said before, my Jeep has a Poly Performance 3-link. No problems what-so-ever.

Jeep-OC014.jpg

Yup, it flexes. Only limit was the shocks, and I have longer ones now.

2011-07-23_18-19-38_515-1.jpg

Nearly all long arms suspensions (seems to me) are limited not by the arm droop, but by other things like 1- Shock Length, and 2- Steering binding (My drag link is stock and binds badly.)

Never once have I thought "OH shouldn't have gone rough country y link, my flecks isn't good enough."

Real world, you don't need 3 feet of down travel. (You need lockers)

78004119.jpg

a138fee2.jpg

1a6bd450-1-1.jpg

a9289c52-1.jpg

Back