• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm or Drop Bracket????

I would run the drop bracket, cheap (nearly free if you fab it up yourself)

you will get ride quality similar to factory...

you would want to drop the bracket at least 4 inch... better at 6

another option would be to fab up control arm that is S shaped to make up the angle difference... that would be stronger and ride perfectly

I would run the drop bracket, cheap (nearly free if you fab it up yourself)

you will get ride quality similar to factory...

you would want to drop the bracket at least 4 inch... better at 6

another option would be to fab up control arm that is S shaped to make up the angle difference... that would be stronger and ride perfectly

Not sure what you mean by S-shaped. If you run short arms that are S-shaped, you still have the steep angle from point A to point B.

But for drop brackets, yeah they are cheap and work great. I ran em and loved how they rode with stock control arms.

totally driver error, I don't know why everyone worries about drop brackets getting hung up... I mean your drive shafts and differential are WAY WAY WAY more likely to hang up on stuff

Depends on the tire size. If you are running 31's with drop brackets, they will get hung up ALOT. Ask me how I know. There's just not enough ground clearance with smaller tires.

totally driver error, I don't know why everyone worries about drop brackets getting hung up... I mean your drive shafts and differential are WAY WAY WAY more likely to hang up on stuff

'S' is not the shape I meant... more like an 'L' but with less angle

basically just lower control arm with a bend in it to make up the angle

'S' is not the shape I meant... more like an 'L' but with less angle

basically just lower control arm with a bend in it to make up the angle

It don't matter what shape the arms are in, bent or straight, it's the angle from axle bolt to chassis bolt. The only reason for bent "L" arms is for ground clearance and also to clear the shock bracket above the arm on the axle side. On droop, the straight arms can hit this bracket and limit travel. But the theory of a bent arm improving ride quality or control arm angles is false. A jeep lifted 5" on short straight arms will ride the same as if it had short bent arms.

If I misunderstood what you are actually saying, my apologies. sometimes I don't read posts correctly. :)

It don't matter what shape the arms are in, bent or straight, it's the angle from axle bolt to chassis bolt. The only reason for bent "L" arms is for ground clearance and also to clear the shock bracket above the arm on the axle side. On droop, the straight arms can hit this bracket and limit travel. But the theory of a bent arm improving ride quality or control arm angles is false. A jeep lifted 5" on short straight arms will ride the same as if it had short bent arms.

If I misunderstood what you are actually saying, my apologies. sometimes I don't read posts correctly. :)

thanks for pointing that out and explaining... it makes sense from what I have read it is a common mistake

Last edited:
The arm separation on the frame end sucks on those kits.
While I agree it would probably be more beneficial to have some more separation, I am unaware of any kit that gets more separation than that. Poly's, BDS, Clayton, whatever they are all pretty similar.

It is hard to get much more without floor modifications and a "bolt on kit" isn't going to have the end user cut the floor and weld in sections. Then again most of those bolting stuff on probably are not going to be able to tell the difference the separation would have gotten them anyway.

I have a rustys long arm on one jeep and re drop brackets on the other. Our last trip to moab we got hung up on the drop brackets a lot, pretty sure I lost a filling or two... But the long arms just slid across the obstacle and I didn't even notice till I crawled under my jeep and saw the drag marks, which I shot with some paint and you would never have known.

My vote will be long arm any day. Drop brackets are cheap, and will ride nicely if you have rubber in the control arms, which re doesn't provide. But my rustys long arm with rubber at every end rides much smoother its a very noticeable difference actually.

Back