• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm or Drop Bracket????

Control arm angle is key when looking for the "best ride"

I agree completely that no long arm setup will ride as good as a drop bracket setup where the CAs are near 0deg. For this reason I honestly vote for drop brackets if the rig is a daily driver or often driven on the street. I built my own 4 link long arm setup and love it, but the ride is still harsh at only 4" of lift. If I were to do it again I would have simply gone with RE drop brackets with JKS control arms.

drop brackets are so awsome!
DSC_0630_1.jpg

DSC_0627_1.jpg

drop brackets are so awsome!

Looks like driver error to me. ;) :D

From the picture it looks like a LA setup would have had the same result, only a higher probability that you would have slid off instead. I'd just be happy you didn't take out your driveshaft in the process!

Looks like driver error to me. ;) :D

From the picture it looks like a LA setup would have had the same result, only a higher probability that you would have slid off instead. I'd just be happy you didn't take out your driveshaft in the process!
wasnt me, but ive been hung up the same way with short arms and ive seen long arms do the same guess it dont matter what ya got your gonna get hung up at some point, i just find these debate threads funny

the few times i wheeled with DBs and 235s i didnt have a problem. but i know where you are coming from.

Yeah, it was just a PITA for me. I was dragging those arms/brackets on everything on the trails here. The 31's just didn't give me enough clearance between them and the ground.

DSCF5529.jpg

I'm running 35's with my drop brackets and I've had no problems at all with getting hung up on them. I reckon under 33's they're not really suited, and really if you have enough lift to warrant drop brackets just slap on some 33's anyway ;)

With 35's

IMAG0246.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, it was just a PITA for me. I was dragging those arms/brackets on everything on the trails here. The 31's just didn't give me enough clearance between them and the ground.

DSCF5529.jpg

My first trip to Rausch with 32's and I'm going to RE Superflex short arms in the stock position for this same reason until I can afford long arms. 75% time my tire was coming off a rock I would slam them on it coming down. They do make the ride and handling 10X better which was nice when it was my DD. But now that it's seeing harder trails and not being driven everyday, I need the clearance back. I suppose larger tires would help, but that's a ways off for me too.

I wish I could have stuffed 33's on there to give some more clearance but I can't trim so I'm limited to 31's. I now have 32's on there with 2 miles worth of bumpstops, but I have long arms at this time.

just be awesome and do mid-arms. its the new cool thing to do.

20250_507037592704_226300669_170428_2270819_n.jpg

just be awesome and do mid-arms. its the new cool thing to do.

Easy and simple, I like this a lot. Are you still running your upper arms in the stock location? If that's the case, all I would need are mounts and longer lower arms. Looks like you welded the mounts to stiffeners? I don't have stiffeners, supposed I could either make some brackets that bolt on with crush sleeves or just plate over the unibody where they attach then weld. Got more info/pics?

Easy and simple, I like this a lot. Are you still running your upper arms in the stock location? If that's the case, all I would need are mounts and longer lower arms. Looks like you welded the mounts to stiffeners? I don't have stiffeners, supposed I could either make some brackets that bolt on with crush sleeves or just plate over the unibody where they attach then weld. Got more info/pics?

x2, more info and pix. I wanna learn about this setup.

x2, more info and pix. I wanna learn about this setup.

hokay lol.

i built it as a 3 link with a longer upper.

im sure you can figure out how to mount em easily without stiffeners, but stiffeners are cheap and a good upgrade to have.

20250_507037373144_226300669_170425_1487126_n.jpg

20250_507037288314_226300669_170423_1735794_n.jpg

20250_507037158574_226300669_170408_4168614_n.jpg

Very nice. I little more involved than I originally thought, but not bad at all. Did you raise the mounting brackets on the axle for ground clearance/improved arm angle?

Like KTM racer, I vote mid-arm. I run this on my TJ, and have plans to do it to the XJ if I ever get around to doing it...

It's the best between clearance and ride. Especially if you raise the upper LCA mount up, My rear lowers are at 5degrees.

Back