• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers/ice whats the big deal??

I don't know about legality but a lincoln locked axle is bad for the same reason using part time 4wd on pavement (especially wet or icy) is bad. The tires must rotate at the same speed, even when the vehicle is steering, hence one or both must break traction.

My M1028 has a detroit in the rear and its interesting driving a 9K Lb rig on icy roads. I have to use 4wd otherwise the rear will kick out even on straight roads while just maintaining speed. Its like a big quad, the rear is really predictable once you drive it a bit though. I am still running open in my XJ due to the ice in the winters. I want to get something like an ox locker for my 9 inch.

I am not sure if lockers are illegal anywhere. On ice you need to be careful either way. Lockers will not help you stop on ice, nor will 4wd for that matter. Just be cautious when driving in winter weather with auto-lockers or an engaged locker and you will be just fine.

Don't tell me you use 4wd around here in the winter Brendan! We see huge snowfall once every few years!

whoa whoa, is everyone talking about lockers in your axles?
this could the cause of all this confusion.

I am not sure how things work south of the border, but up here we can not transport lockers on the roads legally. you can have them in schools, gyms, even have a gun locker at work... but you can't move the locker without written permission from your parents.

10-20yrs up here for driving with a locker.

whoa whoa, is everyone talking about lockers in your axles?
this could the cause of all this confusion.

I am not sure how things work south of the border, but up here we can not transport lockers on the roads legally. you can have them in schools, gyms, even have a gun locker at work... but you can't move the locker without written permission from your parents.

10-20yrs up here for driving with a locker.

Haha, got the urge to troll today?

Haha, got the urge to troll today?

2 days off, in and out of an un-heated garage chopping the back of my XJ... its -10C so more time in house then in garage.

top is off and then some if it helps.

ON topic somewhat

We're actually getting a rather large (for the area) snowfall that's turning to ice. Despite all the dire warnings that I'll crash-n burn and or my hair will fall out if I run my aussie locked YJ on roads covered with the frozen stuff I've been doing just that for the past two days and I must say I can't figure out for the life of me what the hubub is about. I've even resorted to deliberately putting my jeep into situations that the locker should misbehave in with no adverse results aside from very heavy fuel consumption. Ive owned many 4x4's both big and small and this one is by far the most sure footed on icy pavement

Granted I'm only locked up front as I don't want to waste money on a d35

grab an 8.8 at the JY (or your local chapter classifieds) and get it ready to bolt in, then beat the crap out of that 35... lol

grab an 8.8 at the JY (or your local chapter classifieds) and get it ready to bolt in, then beat the crap out of that 35... lol

LOL do you have any Idea how badly our JY's round here suck. A 8.8 in any kind of functioning condition is a $600 axle. I once got quoted $900 for a toyota axle with where the brakes were crushed on one side

actually I have an older narrow track F-100 9" already stripped down and cleaned if I'd quit cheapin out and buy some internals. I even have all the perches and tabs new sitting on my workbench

The secret to surviving winter in the Midwest, is simply not driving like an idiot, and staying away from people who do. My annual ritual is staying home the first day it snows. After that, your odds improve noticeably.

I have been in a few situations where my front aussie sucks. Off camber uphill climbing, just wants to slide to the lowest point if I break traction, or the annoying ratcheting clunking when breaking where one tire locks and skids and the other is still turning. Sounds like the world is going to end. Other than that I run mostly in 2wd city and highway.

Last week Las Vegas had more rain in three hours than we had all last year. washed all the oils up to the surface of the roadway and made driving with a locker verrrrrrrrrry nerve wracking. Got a better manner of control in full time 4wd.

Wow, I have front and rear lockers, beadlocks, and a Dana 44. I'm going to hell. :firedevil

Has anyone noticed that more than one "nominee" has used that exact same avatar?

Last edited:
Yeah it's been a discussion in tardwars before letterman made a "tards dig me" version :thumbup:

Wow, I have front and rear lockers, beadlocks, and a Dana 44. I'm going to hell. :firedevil

Has anyone noticed that more than one "nominee" has used that exact same avatar?

I understand its kind of a tard question, but i was curious because i like to go on drives with my little girl, and have never driven lockers on ice, and i too have lockers and a dana 44 so i guess they better save me a spot down their too.LoL!Go ahead and nominate me though, its all in good fun to me!!:cheers:

Back