• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker front or rear first?

ColoradoRaptor said:
No, his response in not DUMB!! Yes, what you say is true about the LP but he has wheeled it for a while with no problems as have some of my friends. If it works then who cares if the technical jargon says it is a de-evolution. You can look up all the info you want, doesn't change the fact that many wheelers use the LP with success!! :rtm:
Because you and your friends use the lp with "success" doesn't mean that it will not break before the hp. Bottom line is if we wheel with similarly built rigs, your lp will break before our hps do. That is of course if you guys wheel the knarly shit we do. And just because he's wheeled it for a while with no problems doesn't mean much when you compare unlocked to locked.:conceited

ColoradoRaptor said:
A lunchbox replaces the spider gears, it is not a full carrier type locker. If your on a budget keep the 8.25 just as strong as a 44 and superior is coming out with 488 for it. Yes it is better to have a high pinion 30 but your low is just fine if you take care of the angle after lifting. I say put a few more dollars toward a selectable locker for your 30, you should be able to get a Ected for around 500. Don't wast your time with the other crap as you will want to upgrade afterwards anyway! My 2cents.
Try to find a shaft for the 8.25 that is as strong as a chromoly shaft for a 44, and get back to me.

Lot's of pure opinion floating around in this thread..........

Might as well add mine. To the low pinion comments. It really doesn't matter if he puts a lunchbox locker in that low pinion axle, it will fit in a high pinion axle IF he decides later to swap it. Plenty of people run low pinion front axles, every TJ (except a Rubicon) came with a low pinion D30 and there's a ton of them out there. Yes, low pinion is better, stronger with more clearance.

Oops! I meant high pinion.......

Regarding the know it all who says an auto locker effects things in 2wd.............IT DOESN'T. I've run one, and know plenty of others who have run them, and have read the experinces of many more who have run them, and they are virtually invisible in the front end when in 2wd. You might hear them click a little, and you might feel the click now and then if you're sensitive, but it won't effect the driving or the handling of the vehicle in any way. Based on how an auto locker works, it can't do anyhting but ratchet freely when the front axle is not engaged.

Also, I wouldn't bother swapping a 29 spline 8.25 for a D44. The strength difference is insignificant. later on you can put a set of alloy shafts in the 8.25, they've held up decently well to 35's.

Last edited:
Now the OLD FART will add his two cents...Listen to Richard (Goatman)...he is one of the most knowlegable axle guys I know of....My personal input on the lockrite in a front axle....I have THREE rigs with that set up, including my "street only" MJ....they are invisible in 2wd.... And having been there...front locker first.

Thank-you! I was trying to read through this thread, but was starting to twitch uncontrollably. To clear things up though, for other people reading this thread, I am assuming you meant HIGH pinion here?

Goatman said:
Yes, low pinion is better, stronger with more clearance.

Seriously though, thank you for putting some solid "tech" in this thread!

I have the 8.25 and d30 locked with lock rites and love them. Im on 33's with the 27 splines and alloys front and rear. I wouldnt hesitate to run 35's on them when my 33's are wasted. Iv broke two d-30 cv shafts and zero 8.25 shafts, Lock what you have and when you break it upgade it :thumbup:

CanMan said:
This thread went to b!tch mode fast. :rolleyes:
Ya x2

Just want some help picking a locker.

To clear up I plan to swap the front for a 44 not the back. But as I said that is in the distant future.

xalexjx said:
Iv broke two d-30 cv shafts and zero 8.25 shafts, Lock what you have and when you break it upgade it :thumbup:

So I should keep extra shafts with me Huh?

Lock the front first, and as for Lunchbox I would choose Aussie. My brother in law has an aussie front and my wife has a lock right. The aussie operates slightly smoother.

Having an autolocker in the front has made "full time 4wd" useless though, so if you have an np242 keep that in mind.

I used an Aussie in the rear in my 8.8 conversion on my "street" MJ...it is hyper aggressive. I like it.

Goatman said:
Lot's of pure opinion floating around in this thread..........

Might as well add mine. To the low pinion comments. It really doesn't matter if he puts a lunchbox locker in that low pinion axle, it will fit in a high pinion axle IF he decides later to swap it. Plenty of people run low pinion front axles, every TJ (except a Rubicon) came with a low pinion D30 and there's a ton of them out there. Yes, low pinion is better, stronger with more clearance.

Oops! I meant high pinion.......

Regarding the know it all who says an auto locker effects things in 2wd.............IT DOESN'T. I've run one, and know plenty of others who have run them, and have read the experinces of many more who have run them, and they are virtually invisible in the front end when in 2wd. You might hear them click a little, and you might feel the click now and then if you're sensitive, but it won't effect the driving or the handling of the vehicle in any way. Based on how an auto locker works, it can't do anyhting but ratchet freely when the front axle is not engaged.

Also, I wouldn't bother swapping a 29 spline 8.25 for a D44. The strength difference is insignificant. later on you can put a set of alloy shafts in the 8.25, they've held up decently well to 35's.

Yes, there is a lot of opinion here! I was only giving mine from personal experience derived from a bad one! I used to have a locrite, hated it!! Oh well such is life! Seems as though some people here have only sarcasm to add instead of helpful advise. I made the mistake of opening the door by stating my personal experience in a "I've been wheeling all my life way" and to top it off I let my emotion get the best of me. My apologies to the Cherokeekid88 who was just asking for advise! And finally HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you!!:cheers: :NAXJA:

ColoradoRaptor said:
Yes, there is a lot of opinion here! I was only giving mine from personal experience derived from a bad one! I used to have a locrite, hated it!! Oh well such is life! Seems as though some people here have only sarcasm to add instead of helpful advise. I made the mistake of opening the door by stating my personal experience in a "I've been wheeling all my life way" and to top it off I let my emotion get the best of me. My apologies to the Cherokeekid88 who was just asking for advise! And finally HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you!!:cheers: :NAXJA:
:peace: :guitar: :peace:
There I feel better now.

i was running the cv axle shafts, they may not be quite as strong but when they do break they dont damage anything but them selves. And you can drive with them broken,,,Im running alloys now so breaking axle shafts will be a thing of the past...

Aussie would be your cheapest bet and i hear nothing but good things about Aussie's locker. But one thing to remember, i dont know if you get alot of snow where you are or not, but you'll def notice a loss in traction in 4wd in the snow. Thats why most people go selectable, that way you can still be in 4wd, but your not always locked, also on the trails, its easier to steer around tight corners if your axle isnt locked, then you can turn the locker back on when needed.

Wow thanks for all the info. I may have to soak it in for a couple of days before I make a decision. Thanks again:wave:

ColoradoRaptor said:
I used to have a locrite, hated it!!

Did you have it in the front or rear?
Speaking from personal experience only now.....
Lunchbox lockers in the rear suck big time....lots of noise and jerking and it exposes every ounce of play through the entire drivetrain. On the front, however, I have yet to read a single complaint about a lunchbox locker. Actually I take that back. Some says you lose traction in the snow. I haven't had any problems though.

Still speaking from personal experience....
A locker on the front with an open rear is FAR BETTER off road than a locked rear, open front.

Back