• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local Rig Directory

crok with warn m8000i
32s
open open, yeeee haaaawwwwwwwwww

canoe.jpg

camptojeep.jpg

jeeptocamp.jpg

BCMJ87 Manche Blackface

I thought that I would post up my on going project!
I have built XJ Cherokee's for the past few years, last build was 89 XJ Chop Top.

Present project 1987 Jeep MJ Comanche shortbox 2wd when purchased, 2.5L I4 Pukegoat BA10/5 speed with a new clutch and pressure plate. I've been working this one for just 2 months now, d30, d35 and NP231 from my first XJ.. all the parts are from the 88 XJ
- bucket seats, steering column, floor ebrake, front lift is ProComp Explorer 4" from the XJ, recently did the Spring Over axle netted aprox 5.5" of lift.
- A longtime member of NAXJA and new to the Comanche Club dot com (were I post my build thread)

Just Getting Started.. Really!

SOA_+3_DSC01737.jpg

I keep everything on my website if you wish to view further info.

Comanche Club Build Thread:
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16548

BK.. Brock enjoy!

Hey guys, I just picked up my first XJ. My intent here is to build a streetable daily driver that's also capable off road. I'm not looking to do any hardcore rock crawling or mudding or anything, but I want something that can navigate rough terrain. I've got a RE 3.5" superride lift on order, and I have a new set of Soft 8's in my garage. Next steps are picking some decent 31" tires and getting my D30/D35 regeared to 4.11. Anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced gearing work in western WA?
DSCF8908.jpg
DSCF8909.jpg

Welcome CraigC

As far as the gearing goes, don't bother regearing until you upgrade your rear axle (29spline 8.25, Dana 44, Ford 8.8) You can even find Ford 8.8s with 4.10 gears in them already on the ocassion. The D35 may seem like a decent axle for now, and with your tire size it's ok, but once you go bigger (and you probably will) it will need to go.

Good luck with the build though! Looks like we can add another white Cherokee to the list of rigs! :thumbup:

~Scott

Were they still running D35's on that new of a Cherokee? I thought they had completely switched over to the 29spl 8.25 at the redesign.

Were they still running D35's on that new of a Cherokee? I thought they had completely switched over to the 29spl 8.25 at the redesign.

IIRC some late '96-'98s got screwed and got D35s, I don't know for sure though. I know Lyle's '97 had a D35 though. Either way, he said he had a D35...

~Scott

the D35 was in xj's up until '01, supposedly more common in the '97+ than the older ones.

...so I have a D35. :(
The first step is admitting you have a problem. :thumbup:

If you never run bigger than 31's, you should be fine, but most people who build up a D35 regret it later. Easy way to go is find an 8.25 with the same gears and swap it in; should be cheap (almost free) and be a significant upgrade over the D35.

-----Matt-----

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :thumbup:

If you never run bigger than 31's, you should be fine, but most people who build up a D35 regret it later. Easy way to go is find an 8.25 with the same gears and swap it in; should be cheap (almost free) and be a significant upgrade over the D35.

-----Matt-----

I may just do that. What are the odds of finding an 8.25 with 4.11s? If I can get my hands on one, that would definitely save me money and some time. Then I just have to re-gear my front axle.

I found that there are a few 8.25's available locally from salvage yards that are listed as having 4.10 gears out of XJs. Is there any difference between 4.11 gears and 4.10 gears? I see references to both. Also, would I have to give up my ABS to use a different axle? I don't mind if I do, I'm just curious.

I found that there are a few 8.25's available locally from salvage yards that are listed as having 4.10 gears out of XJs. Is there any difference between 4.11 gears and 4.10 gears? I see references to both. Also, would I have to give up my ABS to use a different axle? I don't mind if I do, I'm just curious.

4.11 and 4.10 are so close it's fine to use, general rule is to have it within a couple decimals IIRC. And as far as ABS, if the axle swapped in had it I'm sure you could make it work if you tried...but normally when an axle swap is done, ABS is ripped out.

~Scott

4.11 and 4.10 are so close it's fine to use, general rule is to have it within a couple decimals IIRC. And as far as ABS, if the axle swapped in had it I'm sure you could make it work if you tried...but normally when an axle swap is done, ABS is ripped out.

~Scott

Thanks. I actually just picked up a Chrysler 8.25" with 4.10s.

I suppose I'll add my heep to the directory :)
These photo's are fairly old since its been under the knife... forever...
87 2dr
aw4 np242 d30 front 4.88 +lockrite D44 rear 4.88 with Detroit locker
lastara mile marker 12000SE winch that worked once. olympic front and tomken rear bumpers
RE 5.5" long arm +2 inch spacers & blocks 35" BFG MT's
bunch of other crap...
Rubicon, CA 2007
IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1387-2.jpg

Rubicon, Ca 2008
l_6382be6f3ce24d30a4dc02841213082d.jpg

l_0762e48e5cba42fa8f54d0c4936decd7.jpg

l_b582c50100624cb8a99f605f4d471c6a.jpg

Rubicon 08 I snapped an axle and returned home to discover a friend was selling his rockwells. Picked them up for 1k bought PSC stearing, Currie johny joints, Bought some 47" LTB's for 1500$, pinion brakes, and a couple days ago an atlas 4.3:1 2 speed
Since my move from california to WA My rig has been living its life awaiting its 4Link and cage at www.mpscustomrides.com (thats what happens when "Family friends" give you a smoking deal) Almost a year and one fired employee later I'm hoping to have her for fall fling

Last edited:
1998 base model XJ. Manual windows, locks, swapped in gauge instrument panel instead of idiot light one, no carpet or headliner, mostly gutted interior, custom sound system, :D, AC blows cold.

4.0, '00 intake ported, and bored stock TB, cold air intake system in the works, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, no cat. conv., flex tube exh. manifold, AW4, large aftermarket cooler, beefed up trans pan.

NP231, PORC SYE, 2LO in the works, stock ft. auto DS in rear, stock ft. manual DS in front.

D30, Yukon 4.56 gears, Aussie Locker, WJ knuckles and brakes, Full C clip 297 shafts, Solid Diff Cover(going on), Custom OTK steering 1.25", 5/16" wall DOM, 3/4" shank, 5/8" hole QA1 rod ends threaded into the tube, grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts and saftey wire, double sheer TJ pitman arm, PS cooler, stock box w/ Crok inner and outer plates, MORE steering box brace, pump modded for more flow.

8.25, Motive Gear 4.56 gears, ZJ disc brakes, stock 29 spl shafts, welded carrier, custom cover plating, welded tubes, raised shock mounts.

RE fixed SuperFlex arms front, RE pass side UCA mount, Skyjacker(?) 3" springs, RE 2" spacer, custom TB mount on axle, RE HD mount on frame w/ RE TB mount brace, custom TB 1.25", 1/4" wall DOM, 7/8" shank, 3/4" hole QA1 rod ends threaded into tubes, fancy 'white' shocks, ACRO front frame stiffners(welded on soon).

Dodge 1/2 ton leaf spring bastard pack, TnT boomerang shackles, HD Offroad Engineering shackle relocation boxes, stock shocks(long travel shocks through the floor soon).

Custom TC skid, JCR ft. bumper w/ custom reinforcements on corners, welded to the Crok plate. TnT or HD Offroad(?) frame stiffners, gas tank skid, rocker cutouts, and x member next.

33x12.50x15 grooved bias ply TSL's on 15x8, 3.75" BS Cragar white wagon wheels.

Rear quarter panel chop, removeable doors, lots of trail spares, TP is a DB sticker, rock lights, cheap 'daylighters', beer bottle opener on ft. bumper, recovery gear, bunch of other stuff done.

DSCF3620.jpg

DSCF3626.jpg

DSCF3583.jpg

Back