• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limited slip, do I have it do I need friction modifer

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
Going to change the diff fluid this weekend. How do I tell if I have limited slip? I am pretty sure I have an 8.25 in the rear..

2000 xj classic 105,000 miles

jack up the rear wheels with the transmission in neutral and spin one of the tires by hand. if the other spins the same way, its got an LSD. if it spins the opposite direction, it is not limited slip and is open

I know this is sad but is there a way for me to find out through a vin number? I don't own a jack, I always just crawl under the jeep to do anything i need to do

Yes, run the VIN thru the dealer and find out the options. This assumes that nobody has every changed the carrier.

I know this is sad but ... I don't own a jack

Good gravy man! You really don't own a jack? Not even the one you'd need to change the tire if you got a flat?

I suppose step one might be, "get high-centered somewhere, with the rear wheels dangling uselessly"

x2. send jeep your VIN requesting a build sheet. in 3-5 days youll get your reply.

which is not always accurate ;) a lot of the vin codes have been superseded by the newer models so the build sheets you get are not 100% correct anymore. There is a thread in non-tech about it a lot of us have posted our build sheets, most show options that were not available when the vehicle was new.

To the OP, go buy a jack at Harbor Freight or the auto parts store, even a cheap one. It's better than nothing, as others said you really should have a jack just in case something goes wrong.

that is true. but most of the basic info is usually correct regarding the drivetrain, body etc. but i also agree that buying a jack is wise, they will always come in handy.

I had a guy tell me today that you cant tell if you have limited slip by the way your wheels spun when off the ground well that if they spin opposite its not necessarily a non-lsd diff.
I ended up being on that side of town and just had my wheels rotated (free for life where i bought my tires) and i spun it while they had it on the lift (rotated opposite way)
My neighbor has a jack i can use but I have never needed one (im a grad student, so I dont have the money or place to store a jack anyways) I usually just squeeze under there to do anything i need to do (oil change, atf change, basically just change fluids LOL)

You sure you don't have one under the rear seat?

Definitely get a jack, unless your neighbor is also willing to drive to ya, wherever you may be if you get a flat:D

You should also get a lug nut wrench. They're cheap.

On a side note, my buddies has an LSD but when one tire's spun the other just sits there. LSD must be done for...

DO a burnout and see if both wheels spin. Most of the time if you use full syn gear oil like the Amsoil severe gear, then you do not NEED to add the modifier. But you CAN.
Also, when you remove the diff cover you can see if you have an sld or not.

Look for a small rectangular metal tag that says friction modifer needed. I think you can cover all the bases by just using friction modifier, if you don't have one it won't hurt to use it, or just run synthetic, that already has the additive built in.

you guys are money, thanks for all the help. Yea I do have a backseat jack but I lifted my jeep and have big tires so it isnt tall enough HA. if I get a flat i am using aaa to go to the nearest tireshop, i am not gonna be running 32s with a little doughnut.... that might be funny to see that though

Carry a couple blocks of wood to space it up more. Also helps for tranny and oil pan/motor mounts. Also works well with a BFH for everything that's stuck lol.

just to put it out there my 8.8 has a lsd and when my rear is off the ground the tires still spin opposite ways. im running lucas fluid in both front/rear diffs, it comes with the additive already in it so thats not necessary. most diff fluids come with the additive as far as ive seen these days.

just to put it out there my 8.8 has a lsd and when my rear is off the ground the tires still spin opposite ways. im running lucas fluid in both front/rear diffs, it comes with the additive already in it so thats not necessary. most diff fluids come with the additive as far as ive seen these days.

If you can easily spin the tires in opposite direction, then you have a non-functional lsd.

yeah... you probably need new clutch plates for that :rolleyes: it's not limiting slip much now is it.

You can always tell once you pop the cover. What I would do is buy the fluid needed (2-3 quarts diff lube, LSD additive tube, some RTV) pop the cover and find out. If it has LSD, you add the additive. If it doesn't, return it! Some diff lube even comes with the additives in it already I believe, and additives won't hurt a non-LSD diff, so if you aren't sure you can always add it for peace of mind.

Stock LSD carriers are more cylindrical with a flat end while non LSD carriers are more tapered at the end. You can also see the clutch plates and stuff if you compare carefully. I'll see if I can find some pics...

Here is a standard open carrier for an 8.25", no spider gears, side gears, ring gear, or bearings:
dan706025x20d4420390202.jpg

Here is an LSD carrier for an 8.25", missing the ring gear and bearings (but with the spiders/sides installed):
461af.jpg

Last edited:
Has your diff started making a little bit of noise?
Does it feel like maybe it's grinding a little... especially at very low speed and turning or pulling into a parking space - backing out?

Has it seemed like it's been a little too easy to "chirp" the tires at times, especially when it's wet out or launching out into traffic into a sharp right turn?

Answering "yes" the above would also indicate the possibility you've got the limited slip rear, and that maybe you need to get some friction modifier in there asap.

Is this the first time you've changed the fluid? How long has it been in there? You get the idea...

Last edited:
you guys are awesome. thanks for all the help. Ive had the fluid changed before but this is the first time doing it myself. around the plastic fill hole should i put some rtv gasket sealant to keep the fluid in or should i just buy a new plug? my old one seemed to leak a bit but it still looks and feels like it fits fine.

Back