• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limited slip, do I have it do I need friction modifer

There's one pretty obvious way you can tell if you lave limited slip. Put it in 2WD, get on a gravel road or grass and goose it. Do both wheels spin, or just one? If just one, LS is either not working or not there.

Look for a small rectangular metal tag that says friction modifer needed. I think you can cover all the bases by just using friction modifier, if you don't have one it won't hurt to use it, or just run synthetic, that already has the additive built in.

Rich, I also am unaware of what kind of rear diff I have and need to change the fluid. If I add synthetic then I will not have to worry about an additive? and is synthetic ok to use on a regular open diff if thats what I end up having? Thanks in advance!

If it has a factory limited slip there will be a warning sticker on the inside of the glove box door. I have a 98 sport that I ordered with the LSD.

Maybe. My 2000 had the factory Trak-Lok when I got it, but never had the glovebox sticker.

Rich, I also am unaware of what kind of rear diff I have and need to change the fluid. If I add synthetic then I will not have to worry about an additive? and is synthetic ok to use on a regular open diff if thats what I end up having? Thanks in advance!

Synthetic is fine for all uses. If you believe you have a limited slip, check the bottle to make sure it says compatible with limited slips. Most synthetics are, although they also state that if you experience clutch chatter add the limited slip additive.

Back