• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifters not moving

OK....update:
Quart of tranny fluid in the oil, reved the hell out of it for 10 min or so. and one by one the clicking stopped. running smooth now, I dumped in some motor flush (Kerosine) and let if run for 2-3 min.

Drained the oil (SUPER THIN) and put in 5-20 mobil 1. I will run this for a bit to make sure all the galleys and passages get flushed. And change it again in a few days.

WHOO HOO I'm stoked.:guitar: First time driving a Jeep and this 4.0 makes some power. Now I need to solve the rough Idle, I think just driving it and running high test will balance the old gas out and clear things up.

Did I say how stoked I am???? Thanks Everyone!:peace:

OK...after I ran some gas thru it and beat the snot out of it...it starts right up idles smooth @ 750 rps's the oil is too thin as I have valvetrain noise. So I'm gonna throw some honey in it and change to 20-50 in 500 miles or so....

and no leaks!!!!!!!!!!! NOT BAD FOR $1500 invested

DID I SAY HOW STOKED I AM!!!!!!!! I think I'm hooked. lift, tires, rack OHHH a winch pine tree thinggy from the rear view.

Wouldnt bother with the high test. Unless you increased compression or are running hotter plugs it will jsut be a waist of money. every couple thousand miles run a can of seafoam through the tank and if you want to run some through the intake every now and then it works wonders. with a new head it should be a while before you need either of these.

the high test was to liven up the old gas thatwas in the tank. I have run that tank out now and have 87 in. However this lifter tick is driving me nuts. I fired it up with the valve cover off and have oil comming up every pushrod. 2 pushrods can spin and the rockers slide back and forth...tick, tick,tick
Any ideas?

swap the push rods and see if they are loose on other rockers. if it is not the pushrods or rockers/springs then you have two bad lifters. best I can do. good luck

I will swap them out in the morning and give it a shot, Would it be a stupid fix to just pop in a few adjustable push rods to quiet things down. I know its ghetto but really...think there would be much harm?

P.S. No offense if you do live in the Ghetto.

I will swap them out in the morning and give it a shot, Would it be a stupid fix to just pop in a few adjustable push rods to quiet things down. I know its ghetto but really...think there would be much harm?

P.S. No offense if you do live in the Ghetto.

WUSS, lol.. we own jeeps :twak:, we take no offence..
Now have you retightened your bolts? Go back thru it all to make sure..

OK..one lifter has pupmed up a bit. (I can move the rocker back and forth and the push rod can be spun, but its quiet). The other one is completly flat 1/8" of movement on the pushrod. I have put 1500 miles on it this week and one lifter still sticking. I will be doing a oil change in the morning (Third time in 1500 miles after the head gasket blew and dumped coolant on the lifters.) and this one gets a quart of Mystery oil.

Already tried tranny fluid, sea foam, and 2 flushes. This thing was SUPER GUNKY, I drained out a quart last night and it was black and chunky, and added a quart of tranny fluid. So How long should I beat on it with the Mystery oil before I start spinning wrenches? Should I pop the head off again and change all the lifters, new head gasket? Do I need to replace the brand new bolts I just put in?

OR...would it be to bad to just throw a adjustable pushrod on the flat lifter? I will carry the OEM push rod with me in case it does pump up... Is this a stupid idea? I just dont want to pull the head again so soon...but the ticking is driving me nuts.

Ca(TICK)n I (TICK) ge(TICK)t a (TICK) # (TICK) 1 (TICK) With (TICK) a Co(TICK)ke. a(TICK)nd a(TICK) App(TICK)le P(TICK)ie. Annoying huh?

Put some Rotella in it and run it for a few thousand miles to really clean the crap out.

Rotella also has ZDDP in it for the flat tappets in the 4.0 L6.

I would do that and just monitor that one lifter.

Back