• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Wear

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
My 2 year old RE 5" suspension is showing lots of wear. The control arm bushings at the unibody are all 4 worn out. Mine are non adjustable with the plain rubber bushings at that end. My axle actually moves back and forth 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Does that seem like premature wear for a rig that 4 wheels about once per month?

Harvo said:
So I guess RE is the best place to get the replacements?

My RE arms had factory rubber bushings in them on the body side, I got them from Napa for like 11 bucks a peice, they are the same as the stock bushings.
-Ryan

Harvo said:
So I guess RE is the best place to get the replacements?

Mine lasted 1.5 years but I wheel is quite a bit

If you have the large superide style (ends of the arm are crimped in the middle) yes you have to get them from RE or a RE dealer like Fullsizexjgear.com
part number is RE3704..they run about 12.00 each
if you have the older arms they have the factory type unit you can get at the auto parts store.

I think I may have the same problem. I installed the super flex 5.5" kit 4.5 years ago and its giving me hell right now. Feels like the whole front end is going to fall out at every bump. There is only noticable wear in the factory upper axle bushings. Would it be a better choice to replace all the bushings since its so old, or to scrap the lift and just buy a long arm setup?? Im talking cost effictiveness here not off road ability. I love to 4wheel but im a poor college student right now and this is my daily driver. Im almost at the point of selling it cuz it rides so bad. Lemme know what you all think.

Thanks, Mike

RE-xtremeXJ said:
I think I may have the same problem. I installed the super flex 5.5" kit 4.5 years ago and its giving me hell right now. Feels like the whole front end is going to fall out at every bump. There is only noticable wear in the factory upper axle bushings. Would it be a better choice to replace all the bushings since its so old, or to scrap the lift and just buy a long arm setup?? Im talking cost effictiveness here not off road ability. I love to 4wheel but im a poor college student right now and this is my daily driver. Im almost at the point of selling it cuz it rides so bad. Lemme know what you all think.

Thanks, Mike

Hows your shocks? Since you have a short arm setup its not going to ride like a cadillac obviously at 5.5". Long arms would be nice but i think some new shocks and some new bushings would help out a great deal.

Yeah dude. 45 bucks worth of bushings every 3 or 4 years or 1500 bucks worth of lift that won't get used off road much....

I'd say the smart money is on the bushings.

SO I ended up splurging for a Clayton Long arm upgrade kit. When taking off my RE kit, I found all four of the superflex joints had almost 1/2" play in them.

Since I had the welder for the clayton kit, I braced the lower track bar bolt hole because it had begun to round out. I also have on order a rebuild kit for the upper track bar joint along with the RE track bar brace.

Im pretty sure the Shocks are still fine for now. My current situation is if I should get new longer travel shocks and brake lines to fully utilize the long arm or just limit strap the front with what I have.

SO I ended up splurging for a Clayton Long arm upgrade kit. When taking off my RE kit, I found all four of the superflex joints had almost 1/2" play in them.

You periodically need to adjust the superflex joints down a little tighter. I tighten mine 1-2 times a year, and have replaced the bushings in them once in the last 4.5 years.

Ah man thats the first time I heard that, oh well I did still get 4.5 years out of them. Im assuming the same thing aplied for the Currie Joints that come on the Clayton Kit?

Ah man thats the first time I heard that, oh well I did still get 4.5 years out of them. Im assuming the same thing aplied for the Currie Joints that come on the Clayton Kit?

Those aren't really adjustable. Best read on pbb about how to shim them to tighten them up - but they don't wear out as quickly (nor are they as easy to service, trade offs).

You periodically need to adjust the superflex joints down a little tighter. I tighten mine 1-2 times a year, and have replaced the bushings in them once in the last 4.5 years.

O RLY

Maybe that's why my front end sounds like shit.

Back