• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift (another post)

My opinion is that is a fair labor price..I charge about 8 hrs for a lift like that @ $50/hr.

But, there are a few super mechanics on here who think they can do full kits with SYE's in 4 or less:sure:

bobnoxious said:
My opinion is that is a fair labor price..I charge about 8 hrs for a lift like that @ $50/hr.

But, there are a few super mechanics on here who think they can do full kits with SYE's in 4 or less:sure:

I have to agree with your timing. The only way i can see getting a suspension job done in four or less hours is if: A. you rush the job. B. You have two or more experienced people doing the work. C. Everything comes apart and goes back together as advertised (no broken bolts, or need to use penatrating oil to break bolts free). I can see where parts might break or be more difficult to get free, causing more time to be spent than anticipated.

I'm no mechanic, but I usually take extra time to do a job. I REALLY enjoy my garage...i'm never in a rush to finish. I'd much rather take my time, refer to instructions if necessary, take snack breaks, and enjoy the learning process.

i would do it my self but i would be the only one working on it. my friend just moved out to motana like i said before. and i don't know any one out here that knows about jeeps. i will try to go to some sort get together and meet people but i am not the most social person.

Gnat5680 said:
i would do it my self but i would be the only one working on it. my friend just moved out to motana like i said before. and i don't know any one out here that knows about jeeps. i will try to go to some sort get together and meet people but i am not the most social person.

I would really recommend trying to do this yourself.

Reason 1: If you do it yourself, then you will learn a lot about your jeep in the process. This will greatly help if things break on the trail. That is, you won't be the guy on the trail asking others, "I hear this clunk, what do you think it is? Can you fix it for me?". Instead, you will be more able to diagnose and fix the problem yourself.

Reason 2: $400 for the install could go a long way towards other stuff for your jeep, or help pay for a nice wheeling trip. This is an expensive hobby after all, so cash will regularly be in short supply. $400 can do lots of fun stuff.

K.

01XJer said:
I would really recommend trying to do this yourself.

Reason 1: If you do it yourself, then you will learn a lot about your jeep in the process. This will greatly help if things break on the trail. That is, you won't be the guy on the trail asking others, "I hear this clunk, what do you think it is? Can you fix it for me?". Instead, you will be more able to diagnose and fix the problem yourself.

Reason 2: $400 for the install could go a long way towards other stuff for your jeep, or help pay for a nice wheeling trip. This is an expensive hobby after all, so cash will regularly be in short supply. $400 can do lots of fun stuff.

K.

i know that cash is gonna be i short supply. my mom ALWAYS asks me "why did you have to pick the most expensive hobby you could". bu ti thik it is unfair to blame me. she got me the jeep before i had an intrest in them.

i would love to do it myself but i don't have the tool or the knowlage. if you guys could tell me what tools you used or what one you need that would help me out a lot.

i will continue to read the write ups on here and give it more thought. i have no problem with the frount coils. it is just the AAL's that are going to bug me.

Gnat5680 said:
i will continue to read the write ups on here and give it more thought. i have no problem with the frount coils. it is just the AAL's that are going to bug me.

I think you hit the nail on the head, i.e., reading up about this. My guess is that between a good shop manual for your jeep and information here and elsewhere on the Web, you can find the information that you need.

Good luck. K.

Gnat5680 said:
i have no problem with the frount coils. it is just the AAL's that are going to bug me.
The add-a-leafs are easy. In a nutshell: unbolt the shocks and driveshaft at the axle, unbolt the u-bolts and lower the axle off the springs. Then put a c-clamp next to the center pin to hold the leaf pack together, unbolt the center pins and remove the spring clamps. Insert the new leaf into the pack, install your new center pins and spring clamps, and then bolt the axle, shocks, and driveshaft back up.

Back