• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifing my baby . . .

pancake said:
I'm so torn... :(

Get set of 235 BFG At's.Sweet tires!! Mopar front and gastank skid. A SkidRow T-case skid, some tow hooks and enjoy. If the rear springs get a little soft try a slightly longer shackle or an Up-Country factory pack. Good shocks would also be a great idea. That would be a good deal then, and you should avoid vibe issues. (Research, shackles, pinion angles, before install)

jmo

Ok, here's my $2,000,000 question...

I just found out that I have the Dana 35C real axle (sigh) when I thought it was the Chrysler 8.25" (gimme a break, only had the Jeep ~3 weeks or so :D)

Is it easier to lift the Jeep with a Dana without having vibration issues? Is the problem with the Chrysler 8.25" only? I hope so. LOL

I've got a 90xj at 1.5" gunna go to 3 when I get another 100 bucks. I say do it and if you have probs fix 'em along the way dude. My xj should look rad with stock tires and a 3" lift!

~drive'm tell they pop woo

My only recommendation would be to avoid the Pro-comp arms,they're junk!Ive given them away three times so far,no no-one wants them!

So, basically I'm nuts if I go with the 3" lift . . . or not . . . but I need to do more stuff first . . . only if I don't go with Procomp . . . but Skyjacker would be best . . . only if I don't go with Rubicon Express . . . provided I get the slip yoke eliminator thingie . . . if I . . . but I should leave it stock if I don't mind backing down some hills . . . with or without new tie rods n stuff . . . that is if I don't mind dropping the transfer case and my death wobble will leak at the back of the . . . .

:confused: :confused:

The sticker is right . . . it's a Jeep thing and I don't understand.

Now, back to the start . . . does the Procomp suck or not.

That's basically what I'm after.

And, if it does suck, how does the RE 4.5 sound and how much of that SYE-tie roddie-goobledeegook am I gonna have to fart around with.

What I'm after is a Jeep that can handle the backroads and snow around Bracebridge (middle of Ontario) in the winter months and some half decent off roading in the summer.

Pro-Comp isn't the best, but I've got a buddy with a Pro-Comp 3" and it rides fine. Don't get Pro Comp shocks though, they're way too stiff. My Skyjacker lift came with Pro Comp ES3000 shocks and they've been sitting in the shed for a year now. If you don't want to deal with an SYE and all the "extra" stuff, stick to about 3" or less. A transfer case drop is cheap and works fine for mild lifts. If you're just getting into this, you could always throw on a budget boost 2" kit for dirt cheap and see how you like it and how stuff works. RE makes good stuff but it always lifts you higher than advertised.

I would say to expect the driveline vibrations and have money for a SYE. Get a hack and tap as it will suit your needs from what you've said and doesn't cost a fortune. Better yet it seems that you don't do too much hard wheeling so stay stock, get some good agressive tread 235/75/15's, new shocks, some quick disconects and avoid the lift headache all together. Every once and a while someone will say that they didn't have any problems, but look through older threads and you'll find its the exception.

I've seen the acronym Just Empty Every Pocket and for lifts this certainly rings true in my opinion. I did rusty's 3" on a 95 and had bad vibes, but wrapped it around a tree prior to fixing those vibes. Basically I believe one needs to be mental to lift there XJ. I'm doing an Old Man Emu lift to my 96 in a couple of weeks; fortunatley I'm heavily medicated. :party:

OK . . . after further review (I've always wanted to say that :D:D:D ) I'm thinking that an RE 4.5 Super Flex might be a better way to go. With that, I'm gonna need to do the SYE thing and obviously the track bar stuff is going to have to be done as well.

Now, this is gonna show how much of a rookie I am at this . . . but I went to the RE site to do some dreamin . . . er . . . shopping and I've located the RE 4.5" lift and the SYE thing.

This track bar stuff is pretty foreign to me. I saw something they called a 'track bar bracket' and a 'track bar brace' and 'track bar hardware kit'

Oh jeeez . . . I'm gonna sound like a mental dwarf here but how many of the brackets do I need? Do I need more than one brace . . . and how many of the hardware kits to I need.

And, for sweet jeebus sake, don't flame the snot out of me for being so jeepishly daft. I'm tryin' to learn here and would appreciate any help.

I'll sign up for Jeeperz 101 if somebody would point me in the appropriate direction.

;)

Why not just buy one of their 4.5" kits? I believe they come with an adjustable track bar. A lot of people post that they don't use the RE quick disconnects and prefer JKS. Just keep in mind that everyone has different experiences with products. I for instance didn't care for my 3" lift from rusty's, but other like his products; and either way he is a nice guy to deal with.

So search some of the older posts for info on RE and make an educated discision based on what you read not what everyone is telling you. I will say that i saw Eagle posted an answer on your thread and I always listen to his advice; very impartial. I also find that Ketjar has a bunch knowledge on these things. One thing is for certain and that is people really like RE kits with the exception of a few pieces.

more confusion, i have a 98 with 2.5" Old Man Emu and 1.5" Daystar boost for 4"total, with no other mods and no vibes. so it is pot luck some will be trouble and others not.

I am also looking at installing the RE 4.5. It has been suggested that I install the lift with the transfer-case drop that comes with the kit and see how that works out. Apparently there are about even odds at 4.5" of that solving the problem in late model XJ's.

-Brian
'99 XJ

GoalPoster said:
OK . . . after further review (I've always wanted to say that :D:D:D ) I'm thinking that an RE 4.5 Super Flex might be a better way to go. With that, I'm gonna need to do the SYE thing and obviously the track bar stuff is going to have to be done as well.

Now, this is gonna show how much of a rookie I am at this . . . but I went to the RE site to do some dreamin . . . er . . . shopping and I've located the RE 4.5" lift and the SYE thing.

This track bar stuff is pretty foreign to me. I saw something they called a 'track bar bracket' and a 'track bar brace' and 'track bar hardware kit'

Oh jeeez . . . I'm gonna sound like a mental dwarf here but how many of the brackets do I need? Do I need more than one brace . . . and how many of the hardware kits to I need.

And, for sweet jeebus sake, don't flame the snot out of me for being so jeepishly daft. I'm tryin' to learn here and would appreciate any help.

I'll sign up for Jeeperz 101 if somebody would point me in the appropriate direction.

;)

:D THanks Nick.....

Getting the RE kit is probably a good idea, and if you go through certain distributors, I believe they can swap out the disconnects for you and charge you a bit more to upgrade. You can probably also put together your setup from various sources and parts..... but the prices will vary depending what and how you do.

Getting back to RE.. I have the RE Sway Bar Discos, and originally they were a royal PITA, but TBent has shown me a really neat trick for putting the discos back on. He's using a basic clamp thingy which you can buy for cheap at places like harbor freight. Then I just use it to pull things together and hold them as I push the pin through :D

Back