• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets adopt a trail

If I was to provide 1 piece of advice from my experience with our trail adoption up north it would be this:

Have 1 person responsible for this activity.

1 "leader" who is the one who is in contact with the ODF, knows about the meetings, can pass info on to the group, can coordinate events and activities, and be "responsible" for all of the activities, logging of hours, attending meetings, etc.

You want as much support as possible from others, but you should all know that "1 person" is who you go to with questions, coordination, etc.

I hope that helps.
Michael

If I was to provide 1 piece of advice from my experience with our trail adoption up north it would be this:

Have 1 person responsible for this activity.

1 "leader" who is the one who is in contact with the ODF, knows about the meetings, can pass info on to the group, can coordinate events and activities, and be "responsible" for all of the activities, logging of hours, attending meetings, etc.

You want as much support as possible from others, but you should all know that "1 person" is who you go to with questions, coordination, etc.

I hope that helps.
Michael

I agree. this makes the lines of communication much simpler.

I would like to Nominate Dustin, if he is willing . . . . ?

as far as coming up with a list of trails - i think Dustin already posted up the trails that are available. i think we all agree on what we are looking for as far as maint and type of trail etc... i think Bates or Saddle Up both sound like good ones that meet out criteria.

My .02

PS- Dustin if you are willing to take this on, you have my 100% support in whatever you need :worship:

This idea is still a high priority for me. I was planning on making a trip down there this weekend to get some pictures of the trails up for adoption. Then I think a poll for the PDX NWC would be a great way to make it a club decision.

I am all for taking this project on, and would be more than happy to work with ODF (Oregon Department of Forestry if anyone was wondering) on behalf of the NWC. Like Dave has mentioned this isn't going to take an army of volunteers to work. However, ODF will need a roster of our volunteers. I figure if most people are serious we should have around 8 volunteers. If you can't make a work party no big deal, if you can then more karma points to you. The idea is that if you're in the area stop by and check up on the trail. Pick up some trash, move a rock, trim a tree... whatever. Then we'll have X amount of dedicated work parties scheduled through out the year. This is where we will make trail repairs and work with ODF if needed.

Our next step is to decide on a trail to adopt. At that point we'll schedule a meeting with ODF, and they will come out and walk the trail with us. They will let us know what they would like done with the trail, and what they expect from us through out the year.

I'm hoping we can pick a trail by the end of the month, and then schedule a meeting sometime in October. It would be very nice if we could have as many members as possible show up for this meeting. Come out in your Pinto if you have to.

That's where we currently stand. :lecture:

Well. Its been stated we have interest in Saddle up, or bates road.. why dont we talk to ODF? and/or Lets get a poll started strictly for the people that are interested in being involved on witch trail to move forward with.

I for one, am not going anywhere. and TSF is my main toybox. so without a doubt im in line!

:clap::clap::clap:

Right On, Right on!

Dustin anything I can do don't hesitate to ask.

As for trails. I like Bates Road. I would like to start with something smaller like Saddle up. Bates road is a long Up Hill Trail. Once we start, I think we will get a rhythm and hit a stride. Then expand to other things another trail.

One Suggestion ODF had was University Firepower. Its not adopted, and they would like to get a club on it, so they could stop the seasonal closures and improve it.

I think taking a look at them this weekend would be a good idea. I was going to make a quick run down there on Sunday, and scope them out. I'll get some pictures and then we can have a poll. Even though it sounds like most are leaning towards Saddle Up right now.

I think taking a look at them this weekend would be a good idea. I was going to make a quick run down there on Sunday, and scope them out. I'll get some pictures and then we can have a poll. Even though it sounds like most are leaning towards Saddle Up right now.

Do you want Company?

I know there is a clean up somewhere in that area too right? I was just looking around for the thread, but I can't find it.

Let me know what your plans are.

Let me see what is going on this weekend. I would like to come with to take a look but not sure whats up yet.

Well the scouting mission today was partially successful. For some reason I ended up on Airplane Hill, and Canopener rather than Bates Road, and University Firepower. :rolleyes:

I did get some pictures of Saddle Up, or at least the most difficult section of it. There are two sections to this trail a black diamond and a moderate. If you run the black diamond backwards (up) it's rated a double black, which might be a little over rated.

When running the trail from the East, its consists of an easy climb through the trees up to the top. I two wheeled it through this part. At the top (nice view) it comes to a very steep downhill portion (or uphill depending on which way you hit it). It's tight, it's steep, and there is a bit of a pucker factor (think Hogsback). After the technical section the trail crosses the road and continues through the trees for a bit. This portion is a moderate and can easily be done in 2wd (think Powerline).

:rolleyes:
IMG_0116.jpg

This is looking up at the hill climb when running the trail from the West.
IMG_0118.jpg

This is at the top of the climb. It reminds me a lot of hogsback. It's not all that hard, it just twists you up pretty good. It's also really tight in this spot so you need to watch the glass closely.
IMG_0122.jpg

Looking down from the top.
IMG_0121.jpg

Opinions?

I Noticed.. you went up.. instead of Down... Hmmmmmmmm......

Usually when we swing by saddle up, coming from the Top of FB5, you end up going down that portion.

i like the looks of that trail. we should get it. I like big rocks...

Back