• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lend a hand?

farmer xj

NAXJA Forum User
iv been wanting to get together with some fellow xj enthusiast
and i could really use hand doing an sye kit its a bit beyond anything iv done
and would love to b.s and have some guidance from someone who as some experience im looking at getting one of these

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=153

to hopefully stop my vibration grinding problems planned on grabbing a front DS from a junkyard. any help would be awesome ! also im locaited in the millcreek area only have a small garage but probably have the tools to do the job.

Where is bothel relative to seattle? udistrict area

I have done an SYE before and actually had this 20 minute video that was great at going through it step by step. I used it when I did mine. The SYE is one of those things that at face value is un-nerving but I tackled it in a night on my back in my driveway when I was 19 yrs old back in NY. The only special tool I needed was an allen key big enough to take the drain plug out!

Are you doing it in the Jeep or out? I think the hardest part is getting the Tcase out of the Jeep - I hear the top 2 bolts are a PITA. I'm about 30 minutes away in Redmond and have never done an SYE...but I'm not a complete idiot (some parts are missing). I figure with a good pair of snap ring pliers we could easily knock it out in an afternoon. I'm a Mechanical Engineer so it couldn't be that hard, right? I might have time this weekend, lemme know.

Are you doing it in the Jeep or out? I think the hardest part is getting the Tcase out of the Jeep - I hear the top 2 bolts are a PITA. I'm about 30 minutes away in Redmond and have never done an SYE...but I'm not a complete idiot (some parts are missing). I figure with a good pair of snap ring pliers we could easily knock it out in an afternoon. I'm a Mechanical Engineer so it couldn't be that hard, right? I might have time this weekend, lemme know.

i had planned on doing it in the jeep and yer right it cant be THAT hard but its my DD and would like some backup mechanic skills lol i havent even ordered the sye yet i wasnt 100% the one i linked was good etc ill pm ya when i got the parts and see when your available.

stubby 9/16 ratchetting wrench is tour friend!! id help you if you come down to woodland on one of my days off, weds/ thurs
Yeah, you need a stubby wrench. I took an old one & cut it, a stub ratchet wrench would work better. But either way you need one.

i looked up the advanced adapters they have a 231 short shaft do i need a short shaft ? and if i got the short shaft i take it i wouldnt be able to use the budget friendly stock front drive shaft from an xj?
the advanced adapters one was also $300 vs the proc at $150 must be becuase of the short shaft vs a normal one ?

Last edited:
The short shaft is used on TJ's with a short wheel base usually. You do not need it, especially if your trying to match the rear up to a front drive shaft.

Thats what mine looks like and yes I did.

due to my schedule and not having an actual shop thought it might be faster just to have it done contacted 4wheelsparts up here in lynnwood qouted me $343 in labor to do a sye install and 3-400 more for a sye kit so i asked if they would do a hackntap and they said they would they found one for $100 they qouted me the same labor price for doing the hackntap as they would for a full sye install....

that is crazy labor it can be done in an hour if you pull your case and see if someone headed this way will bring it ill put it in for you

Ya it goes in pretty quick or if you look you can find a case all ready done and just swap it in for around $250 to$350 and do it your self

I have never done a sye kit but i too would love to get together with some fellow xjers, I live up in Everett. Unfortuanately I work Fri-Mon but if anyone is free on tuesday, wed, thurs Id be down.

Don't do a hack n tap! Let's just do it in my parking garage in Seattle, how much lift do you have? Makes it easier to crawl under and be able to extend your arms.

I can look and see if I still have my snap ring pliers and the right size Allen for the fill plug. I have a 20 minute video that literally goes step by step it was painless done on my back in my driveway in NY. Worst case is you buy 40 dollars in tools/supplies. I can look tomorrow at what tools I have.

I just had a productive/frustrating weekend working on my rig at specfab and would definitely pay it forward and help someone else out.

Back