• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Springs: Rancho? Replacement Bushings? Rubber?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I am looking to improve the current arrangement under my XJ:

UsedLeafSprings13OPT.jpg

That is a lift block with an angle shim stacked on top. Plus there is the leaf that wants to be a free range leaf.

The theme of this Jeep is that anything done by a previous owner needs to be re-done properly. I have taken about an inch and a half of surplus threads off the top of the U-bolts so they would quit hitting the body seams and the sway bar, but other than that I have yet to tear into the rear suspension.

Today I picked up a pair of leaf springs and shackles from a Craigslist seller. Seller said this was from a 3" Rubicon Express lift. For all I know that is what the previous owner of his XJ told him, but I don't think it is correct. From what I can make out of the lettering this looks more like it says "RANCHO":

UsedLeafSprings19OPT.jpg

I am guessing these are the 1.5" lift, and the longer shackles probably yield a total of 3".

The bushings are showing their age.

Fronts are checking and little bits are ready to let go without much extra encouragement:

UsedLeafSprings2OPT.jpg

Rears are not quite so bad, but the outer flanges (only 1/8" thick) are looking like they could let go of the center pretty easily:

UsedLeafSprings3OPT.jpg

I would like to replace the bushings, and ideally with rubber. Trying to research this I am coming up with more questions than I am answers.

One of the more interesting details I came across dealt with small diameter bushings being problematic:

Rustys did the same stupid thing also, must be the same vendor. Undersized bushings are the reason for the premature failures. DESIGNED TO FAIL. That is why they only have a 6 month bushing warranty.
(From here, post #11: http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?p=244749009 )

These springs use a 1 1/2" bushing at both ends. Am I wasting my time with these already?

If the answer to that is "No", then comes the matter of what bushings to install. My preference would be rubber and I have the shop press to install it. I am not finding exactly what I want however. It appears I need a 9/16" through hole and a front width of 3.2" and a rear width of 2.7". At least that is what I am measuring off these springs. I would be willing to believe that those numbers should be 3.25" and 2.75".

Looking here, http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/Rubber-Bushings_c_411.html the RB71 will get me the 2.75", but I am not finding anything at 3.25" unless I run a 5/8" through bolt. The RB114 is 3.125", perhaps add a couple of washers? Is there likely to be any problem with that?

I am also wondering if I should do anything about the locating pin/bolt on one of these springs. Someone did something with it recently:

UsedLeafSprings11OPT.jpg

It looks like it is begging to be welded so it can't loosen up. Would that indeed be the right thing to do?

Any thoughts?

Vehicle is a DD with an expedition theme.

I wouldn't worry about welding the center pin/bolt whatever. Maybe use some c-clamps to hold them together, and put some red loctite on them, if you are that concerned.

Also if you need shims to correct your angle, consider picking up a set that will "bolt-in" to your packs. If you do that then you will want a longer through bolt in your packs.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I just found a pair of the Rancho 1.5" leaf springs and need to chase down bushing. I also would prefer rubber over their poly bushings.

No, I didn't.

I bought a set of new OME springs instead. Pressed in factory style rubber bushings.

I think I am around 3".

I carry a bit of extra weight in spare parts/tools.

Back