• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring ?s

WNC95xj

NAXJA Forum User
My 95 XJ has 190k on the clock now, I broke all 4 of my rear shock bolts and rode with no shocks for a little over a month. Finally got around to getting an air hammer to it, knocked all the rusted together sh*t out of the way and did JKS BPE's and Rusty's +2" rear shocks. Now my leafsprings are shot, Jeep still rides horrible, sags, and makes creaking noises constantly. But since I don't ever get mad, just get even, I'm ordering new spring packs next Friday.

Here is my synopsis:
I have 1.75" front coil spring spacers (not yet installed)
I have +2" Rusty's rear shocks and JKS BPE's (installed)
I need leafsprings.
My rear shackles aren't in the greatest shape either, might as well replace them also...

Now, in order to keep the height relatively the same when I install the 1.75" front coil spring spacers, do I need:
- a STOCK replacement spring pack, with Daystar (or other brand) +2" rear shackles
-a spring pack thats taller than stock (Skyjacker 2.5" is the closest I can find to ~2") with STOCK replacement shackles

OR
-ex: the Skyjacker 2.5" spring pack AND 2" rear shackles (to get a total of ~2"+/- lift in the rear is my goal, however close I can get to match the 1.75" up front)

I've looked around alot on the internet but haven't found something that directly answers my question, so I figured I'd make this thread to see if anyone can help me out. Essentially I'm trying to see what parts I need before I go to install this stuff and end up needing something like taller shackles, etc that would involve me redoing the process again later. Thanks in advance,

Mike
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I had forgot I found those too. So if I get those, should I get stock replacement shackles (that don't add any height) to keep it proportional front and rear? Or would it be safe to say getting 2" shackles would be fine? I know this is random but I'm also about to put a big stereo in soon as well, that might offset some of the height if I were to get the 2" shackles too. Thanks for the reply

Another option is to get stock leaf packs and get the HDOffroad shackle relocation brackets. Alot of people that have installed them have reported that they give around 1.75" of lift with everything else being stock.

OME light-duty 2" OME springs, stock shackles.
Bastard pack,
Crown OE HD springs + MJ shackle
last 2 maybe + HDOffroad shackle relocation brackets.

Last edited:
I got the OMEs and like them. Couple things to think about.
With 2" longer shocks and BPEs, you may be bottoming out on the shocks before you hit the bump pads. Only takes one good hit to ruin the shock.

If you're changing a spring on a rusty XJ, start spraying the bolts down now. I sprayed mine down for a month before I started, and still had one shackle bolt stick.
Here's a tip I'm proud to say I came up with:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1047750
'Seems to help.

I just went through this on my '90 Limited. 2" BB in front, 2" teraflex extended shackles in the back on sagging springs. Put new OE-height springs in the back and it's all level and good now. The only bummer is that all the OE springs are what I consider to be way too expensive. You can get aftermarket lifted leaf springs for same or less $. I'd go that route instead. Just make sure you get close to matching the front lift height. I think 2-1/2" in the rear with 2" in front would work. There might be a little rake with the rear being slightly higher, but it should level out with people and/or heavy stuff in the back.

I would get Factory HD springs like the up counrty without the name and would get a 1 inch shackle or MJ or chev 1/2 ton shackle and do listen about the shock thing Ive done this and It sucks to replace a week old shock because your using it as a bump stop

Ugh I was afraid of that, I really hope I haven't ruined my shocks already :/
Thank you 1ATony, I might go that route with shackles due to the big cost difference vs. The OME's.

Ugh I was afraid of that, I really hope I haven't ruined my shocks already :/
Thank you 1ATony, I might go that route with shackles due to the big cost difference vs. The OME's.

No problem. If you have any questions just PM me. All of our parts have free shipping in the US too.

Back