• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late model seats WTF???

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
1998 limited. For the past couple years the seats have been permanently reclined. not a ton, but enough to be annoying. I'm sure it is from my over nourished ass bouncing around. I pulled the passenger seat apart and found that the recliner bracket was bent out of shape. So I bent it back as good as I could, then welded it up. it is a little better but not perfect. has anyone else experienced this? I really don't want to pay the $100 a piece they wan for recliner brackets on ebay, or the $500 a piece for new aftermarket seats. Any advice would be appreciated.

I once worked with a guy who had an old CJ. The driver's seat broke and wouldn't stay up.

So he tied a rope from one roll cage upright to the other behind the seat.

Do you have a roll cage??

On mine the crossover tube (hinge) for the recliner part of the seat was cracked all the way through. It was hard to see and just luck I noticed. I put a piece of all thread all the way through the tubing and spot welded the break. I Loc Tited the nuts on there loosely so the whole works could swivel like it was supposed to.

I was scratching my head wondering why the seat was always slightly reclined. My wife has a leg missing (car wreck) and uses the seat back to get in and out of the Jeep, she is far from petite.

My be part of your issue it may not, but worth a look see.

I once worked with a guy who had an old CJ. The driver's seat broke and wouldn't stay up.

So he tied a rope from one roll cage upright to the other behind the seat.

Do you have a roll cage??

My wife has broken the seat back side mount on every Jeep she has ever had, repeatedly, from a FSJ wagoner through two different XJ's.

Now I know the answer, install a roll cage and use rope. LOL

AS far as the XJ, it is a question of WHEN, not IF, the seats will fail.

You can pull them, skin them, pound them back into reasonable shape, weld on a few pounds of metal reinforcement, then recover them and try it again.

Or go to the recyclers and get some replacements.

Or go aftermarket.

Good luck.

Or find a pick and pull etc and just grab some seats? IDK might be cheaper and less time consuming.

Back