• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LASR 2.0

no rings this time, 121 kmi on the clock, wet compression was the same,.

Looks like the head wasn't torqued down right and looked like a little water seepage around the gasket at #2, the gasket pretty much fell off and wasn't bonded to neither the block or head.

A little history jeep currently has 121kmi, I bought it at 100 kmi and at that time it looked like a new/rebuilt head and gaskets from the PO. Im assuming rebuilt because its 0331 and not tupy and has 99 marking.

got it all cleaned up and putting it back together now

done, fired right up, got to flush the cooling system in the morning, coolant was nasty and caked, and thats a new radiator too :(

gonna trailer it over and get the exhaust done in the morning, need a connector between the old system and new header.

9104283575_ef9370569f_b.jpg

had to "adjust" the new header to fit around the #6 exhaust tube to clear the intake

9104278603_ebb0e65a25_b.jpg

9104277485_5896136651_b.jpg

9104279861_d589cdd422_b.jpg

9104282913_864490aea2_b.jpg

The two APN headers I ran in the past needed "adjusting" to clear a 99+ intake.

couldn't find an APN header and some reviews said they cracked to, this is ATP, so, we shall see...

also jeep was making an odd clanking noise in the front trans area, turns out Torque Converter bolts started coming loose, re-tightened and added Thread locker, hopefully that don't happen again, and hopefully its not a cracked flexplate

Did the head swap and ran it for a bit, was still getting some odd random backfire, not while driving but after stopping at a light then accelerating after idle for a few seconds.

The engine wasn't throwing any codes, but still felt like it lacked power, so I did some digging and figured the timing might be off, but its distributorless, so no timing adjustment, but I loosened up the oil pump drive and turned it toward the engine and it sputtered, rotated it the other way and wow! engine runs perfect and acceleration is amazing, like waking up a beast, still need to get to a scan tool and have them dial in the fuel synchronization, but what a difference and no more backfire.

Did some reading and turns out that wear of the timing chain will cause this to fall out of sync with mileage.

couldn't find an APN header and some reviews said they cracked to, this is ATP, so, we shall see...

also jeep was making an odd clanking noise in the front trans area, turns out Torque Converter bolts started coming loose, re-tightened and added Thread locker, hopefully that don't happen again, and hopefully its not a cracked flexplate

My first one did great...until the drivers side motor mount ran away and took the header with it as a parting gift...

The replacement one (they actually warrantied it...much to my surprise) however, wasn't welded correctly at the runners and had large leak between #2 and #3. Didn't feel like waiting for another replacement as the Jeep was still a DD, so I grabbed one off the shelf locally and it's held up great. Dorman brand...and they actually have flex joints in them now!

did this coming back from the store toady, perfectly, as I pulled into my driveway

9469917170_9759c40423_c.jpg

That's something that doesn't happen every day.

Sure it does.....it just doesn't happen to the same vehicle twice.:roflmao:

Yeah, same old story, put in a new upstream O2 sensor, and cleared the codes, Jeep was happy, went to drive it and the TPS failed, put a new one in under warranty, ran fine for a few hundred miles then the p0302 came back... time for rebuild...

pulled plugs and ran compression test

cyl
1 @ 170
2 @ 137 <-Low
3 @ 170
4 @ 171
5 @ 174
6 @ 171

I guess this is coming back to haunt me, been down this road before... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1082789

oh and the APN header cracked into a thousand pieces, I highly do NOT recommend them

replace with a Dorman with the expansion joints, much better.

Ouch. And no signs of a misfire at all during the beach trip last month? That's strange.

And I agree with the Dorman header. Been very pleased with mine!

oh and the APN header cracked into a thousand pieces, I highly do NOT recommend them

You used header wrap, what did you expect to happen? There is a reason every header manufacturer voids the warranty if header wrap is used.

You used header wrap, what did you expect to happen? There is a reason every header manufacturer voids the warranty if header wrap is used.

Wrong, I used a scrap cloth to clearance the intake on the no.1, 3, 4 and 6 since it was so tight and I didn't want it to rattle. It was removed upon install and before running it. Also, it wasn't welded correctly to begin with, it had gaps between the collectors and in the middle of the joining pipes where they failed to seal things up, leaving behind unused rod and failing to perform any kind of quality control for leaks, all of these cracks were due to burn through, not heat retention. :cheers:

oh and to clarify this was an ATP header that failed, not APN, different companies

duh " I used a scrap cloth to clearance the intake on the no.1, 3, 4 and 6 since it was so tight and I didn't want it to rattle"

it wasn't tied down as you can clearly see

Back