• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lacing seats ?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone laced their own seats? I have been researching on the net and so far what I have found out is there are several styles that can be done, material is cheap, and I will need a heavy duty sewing machine. I am not to sure what type of foam to use and would like to replace the OEM foam in the front and the rear. Leather would be nice but since this would be my first time doing this I should probably stick to cloth. My jeep is a DD so I am thinking of purchasing a used pair of seats from another XJ so I will not have any down time and then I will have a second set to lace with better material once I get the hang of it. My wife sais I am crazy but I figure if I can weld and fab shit I should be able to sew wright?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by lace? You mean Reupholster? Have you ever sewed before. It is a lot harder than it looks. I would highly suggest that before attempting to reupholster any seats, that you get some scrap material and sew pieces of it together. Try and sew your initials into the material and also try just sewing straight lines at a steady(controllable speed).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by lace? You mean Reupholster? Have you ever sewed before. It is a lot harder than it looks. I would highly suggest that before attempting to reupholster any seats, that you get some scrap material and sew pieces of it together. Try and sew your initials into the material and also try just sewing straight lines at a steady(controllable speed).

Lacing is the term for (Seat Reupholster or seat Upholster). I plan on practicing but am still not sure if I should spend $50.00 on a used sewing machine that is only able to sew light material to practice or save my money and purchase a used heavy duty sewing machine for about $300.00. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has Laced a set of seats and the experience that they had ie. challenges, time spent ect.

Lacing is the term for (Seat Reupholster or seat Upholster). I plan on practicing but am still not sure if I should spend $50.00 on a used sewing machine that is only able to sew light material to practice or save my money and purchase a used heavy duty sewing machine for about $300.00. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has Laced a set of seats and the experience that they had ie. challenges, time spent ect.

Correction I thought the correct term was seat lacing but was wrong. The currect term is AUTO TRIMMING. I got this confused with Motorcycle seats.

i have done quite a few boat seats and a couple automotive seats. i have my own upholstery machine, but they are not cheap. if you can get a good used for $300, thats pretty good. but if you are wanting to do just a couple seats, i would say it is not worth the investment or trouble. fabric is not as cheap as you might think, nor is foam (super expensive). upholstery supply houses can give you a bunch of info on what you want and need, and even some advice on how to. when you have a pattern to go by it is not that bad. you just unstitch all the old panels and trace them onto the new fabric. trace it right at the stitch line, but cut about an inch extra all around it. then just sew it all back together on the line. making centering points helps alot. if you are like me and just want to learn how, then by all means, have fun. but you will want to practice first. and as i said, fabric and supplies are not cheap. if you just want better seats for your jeep, go find some at the junk yard, or buy aftermarket. just like welding, i enjoy sewing, but i wouldnt do it for just 2 or 3 seats.

By the time you buy a machine, buy the material, buy the foam, thread. All that good stuff adds up quick. It would probably be cheaper to have a upholstery shop do your seats.

i have done quite a few boat seats and a couple automotive seats. i have my own upholstery machine, but they are not cheap. if you can get a good used for $300, thats pretty good. but if you are wanting to do just a couple seats, i would say it is not worth the investment or trouble. fabric is not as cheap as you might think, nor is foam (super expensive). upholstery supply houses can give you a bunch of info on what you want and need, and even some advice on how to. when you have a pattern to go by it is not that bad. you just unstitch all the old panels and trace them onto the new fabric. trace it right at the stitch line, but cut about an inch extra all around it. then just sew it all back together on the line. making centering points helps alot. if you are like me and just want to learn how, then by all means, have fun. but you will want to practice first. and as i said, fabric and supplies are not cheap. if you just want better seats for your jeep, go find some at the junk yard, or buy aftermarket. just like welding, i enjoy sewing, but i wouldnt do it for just 2 or 3 seats.

Thanks for the advice I want to do other projects as well. I race motocross from time to time and the pants do not always hold up. I always end up adding leather to the crotch area and inner leg area. I also want to do other things around the house. I think it would be something I would enjoy doing and could do it in the house.

Back