• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knucklehead's blog

That 60 is beefy!!! are those UCAs adjustable? I'm guessing they are since they have boots on em and are they the ones that dont have jam nuts? I'm cuious cause i have a set of lowers that rattle like crazy..

Have you come up with a name for the beast yet? if not, i would like to throw in JaxXJ since he is beast too and looks like he owns it when he's riding shotgun..

My stupid co-worker was looking at the pictures of the transfer case hanging from the strap and ask me is that thing floating my response was yeah they have zero gravity in south San Jose didn't you know hmmmmmmmmm and these people can reproduce but he is a good kid. Just hope he will not be someone to take care of me when I am in a nursing home.

hope I get to see that thing in action before for I leave

I like your sig line & have used it on other forums myself.
btw: we had a rottie named Tuco.
(from my favorite movie of all time, the good, the bad, & the ugly)
He looked & acted a lot like Jax.

Yeah I just put that as my sig line last week but I have had it on my facebook page for awhile. I like every Clint Eastwood move my dad is also a huge fan he took my mom to the good the bad & the ugly several times when it came out in the theaters I think that may have been why she divorced him. Yeah that would be a great name for a rotti I like Jax and Bruno I think Bruno likes me more though. :)

Last edited:
Ah...hood vents. The kid and I are now sporting new hood vents. That's a really nice upgrade and I dig how clean they look when installed. Post up some pics when you get 'em in.

i thought you had to in order to pull the transfer case...or...it makes it a TON easier to fab & install frame reinforcement plates with it out of the way. also, i need to check out all the long arm ends & hardware. i want to replace the wimpy Rusty's track bar setup with a stronger design. also need to modify the brake caliper mounts, install a ruffstuff cover, etc. etc. & it will just be easier with the axle out.

Most important is you need to pull that axle to do something about that over exposed steering ram.

tonight i picked up another set of 231 planetary gears today (thanks jeepme!) & a couple oil seals for the d-300 shafts. i need to modify the front shift rail to allow front high only operation. still waiting for the ruff stuff frame stiffeners to show up so i can weld them on. once they are on i can plasma cut some front & rear frame reinforcements so the whole unibody rails will be plated with 3/16". also need to figure out where the massive tranny leak is. the rear seal looks pretty good. not sure where else it could be pouring out from.

I still think its just not having all the transfer case bolts in and tight Tim that is probaby putting a huge amout of flex where the transfer case and trassmision meet I would still replace that seal.

Using a twin stick on the D300 gives you a shifter for each output shaft. A couple of the things this allows is the use of 2wd (RWD) Low for crawling over hi-traction areas like slickrock, and FWD Low for doing front digs. To prevent the possibility of putting one output into Hi and the other into Low, there are 2 interlock pills in the front output bearing housing. A side effect of this is that the pills also prevent the use of FWD Hi range. Some people remove the pills entirely, but you risk blowing the case up. Getting one output into Hi and the other into Low will bind the t-case internally and something will give. Either the gears, bearings or the case itself.
This notch in the rear shift rail needs to be extended forward as shown. Notch extended with an [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]angle [COLOR=#009600 ! important]grinder[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and a well-used (rounded edge) grinding [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR]. You can, however, do a little bit of grinding on the rear shift rail that will allow FWD Hi range while still preventing the possibility of binding up the case. But why? Well, if you're just running the D300 alone, then it probably won't do a whole lot for you. But, suppose you're running a crawler box with it's reduction engaged and the D300 in Hi. Normally, you can't just pull the rear output into Neutral to do a front dig. You need to do some more shifting, putting the D300 into FWD low, maybe disengaging the crawler box and/or picking a gearing that is less than optimal to do the dig. With this mod, you can just slip the rear output into Neutral and pound away.
To perform the mod, you need to remove the rear shift rail from the case and front output bearing retainer. That task is beyond the scope of this article, but is done as part of a rebuild of the case. To allow FWD Hi, the back notch in the rail for the back lockout pill needs to be extended forward.
Another view of the new, extended notch in the rear shift rail. The notch is about .42" long. The distance between the two shift indents (Hi and Neutral) next to it is about .42" as well, so the new length of the notch needs to be about .84". In [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]4wd[/COLOR][/COLOR]
HI (levers full back, rails full forward), this notch extension allows the rear shift rail to move back and reach the Neutral position before the pill stops the rail from going any further.
To extend the notch, I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a well-used grinding wheel in it. The worn wheel has a nice, rounded leading edge instead of the sharp corner of a new [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR], and it worked well for shaping the "ramp" at the new front of the notch. Just go slow, and stop frequently to check your angle, depth, etc. You don't need precision in the thousandth's here. You can easily eyeball it as you go and be plenty accurate.
Check the new length of the notch frequently and stop once you get to about .84" and you're done. Re-install the rail and you'll now have FWD Hi capability and still be re-assured that you cannot shift one rail into Hi while the other is in Low.

Tim, I believe the benefit of having a Front Wheel Drive High option wouldn't be worth the risk of somebody else driving your jeep and doing an accidental High Front/Low Rear shift combo. This as you could imagine would not end well. At the same time, I really don't think you would ever need a front high. Especially since you are Welded/Spooled front and rear. Just look at the "pills" as a good insurance package for your drivetrain!

Keep on doing your thing. Love the shop by the way!

when properly modified i think you can't do a high/low split as the pills will still prevent that...unless i am :looser: reading it wrong...

Tim, I believe the benefit of having a Front Wheel Drive High option wouldn't be worth the risk of somebody else driving your jeep and doing an accidental High Front/Low Rear shift combo. This as you could imagine would not end well. At the same time, I really don't think you would ever need a front high. Especially since you are Welded/Spooled front and rear. Just look at the "pills" as a good insurance package for your drivetrain!

thanks, the pics only show some of it...:gee:
here is another fun zone...
DSCN4652_edited.jpg

some more...
DSCN4649_edited.jpg
i like to play in my fun factory...party1:

Back