• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kendall motor oil??

I still dont think I've seen anything regarding UOA's for AMSOIL...or ZDDP levels....

JNickel101 said:
I still dont think I've seen anything regarding UOA's for AMSOIL...or ZDDP levels....

Amsoil is a very solid choice. going over 15k on an oil is considered a SIN. But opinions change when it's known Amsoil is and the crankcase. And for zddp levels, they are strong in the strong SL levels.

Although this isn't a jeep 4.0(which does kind of matter) It's the Ford 4.0 going 30K on 0w-30 flavor Amsoil!

__________Virgin________10k_______________28K+
Aluminum 0 2 5 6 8 8
Chromium 0 1 1 1 2 1
Iron 2 8 14 23 31 34
Copper 0 5 9 8 10 10
Lead 0 2 5 4 5 4
Tin 0 0 1 1 1 0
Molybdenum 0 4 7 10 10 13
Nickel 0 0 0 1 1 2
Manganese 0 0 0 0 0 1
Silver 0 0 0 0 0 0
Titanium 0 0 0 0 0 0
Potassium 0 0 0 0 0 2
Boron 64 31 28 15 14 13
Silicon 4 5 7 13 13 15
Sodium 0 1 2 3 5 15
Calcium 1722 2054 2176 1907 1949 2495
Magnesium 598 751 831 525 567 182
Phosphorus 822 935 879 736 753 639
Zinc 958 1081 1021 875 1003 779
Barium 0 0 0 0 0 0

They Use a good dose of ZDDP. Not as much Calcium, but Magnesium is used instead, not know any facts on that, gues it works! the MOLY is not in this oil and is likely cleaning old shit of the inside of the motor.

This is a 10k run on a Jeep. Amsoil 5w-30. Blackstone lab ( they usually show lower anti-wear levels). Moly is used in this oil however IIRC . And strong dose of calcium :) Don't ask me why they change the formula's like this, but both are good oils that well give you at least 7K.
ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 24
COPPER 6
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 67
NICKEL 3
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 59
SILICON 26
SODIUM 12
CALCIUM 4604
MAGNESIUM 17
PHOSPHORUS 647
ZINC 795
BARIUM 0

How should I be reading that? is that 6 different samples taken, over the course of 28K miles of use on one oil change? the Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc and Magnesium levels go up, then back down....whats that about?

JNickel101 said:
How should I be reading that? is that 6 different samples taken, over the course of 28K miles of use on one oil change? Yes

the Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc and Magnesium levels go up, then back down....whats that about? variations in how the sample was taken(car owner, temp of oil at sample, did he drive it around like he was supposed to etc.), oil cleaning up shit, and the testing at the lab. Anti-wear levels will deteriorate the harder and longer the oil is in service(generally). I'm pretty sure these were all Blackstone, but different labs have different ways for testing All things. Also, a quart of makeup oil may have been added over this whole time.

Last edited:
RyanM said:
This is a 10k run on a Jeep. Amsoil 5w-30. Blackstone lab ( they usually show lower anti-wear levels). Moly is used in this oil however IIRC . And strong dose of calcium :) Don't ask me why they change the formula's like this, but both are good oils that well give you at least 7K.
ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 24
COPPER 6
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 67
NICKEL 3
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 59
SILICON 26
SODIUM 12
CALCIUM 4604
MAGNESIUM 17
PHOSPHORUS 647
ZINC 795
BARIUM 0

Holy crap, that is a $hitload of Calcium....thats weird...

Redline does crazy stuff like this too. Like 1200ppm zddp+ Plus 100ppm Moly and Boron. and loads of calcium. This is why they can't label it as API SM, just 'street formula'

so is Redline good? is there such a thing as TOO MANY additives?

JNickel101 said:
so is Redline good? is there such a thing as TOO MANY additives?

Yeah I would defintately say so! I mean think about what you're asking....let's say somebody says no, there's no such thing as too many additives. So, someone goes hog wild and puts 6qts of additives but no regular oil...now what??

Well, seafoam isn't really an additive as it is a clenser.....so that might not qualify.

Now Lucas oil on the otherhand. Although it's thick - I'm pretty sure you could run 6 quarts of it and not face any wear consequences?

I think RyanM said Lucas has absolutely no ZDDP in it....

i'd love to see what happened if you filled an engine with SeaFoam....then started it....

the explosion would be pretty from a distance!!! :)

I am having a hard time finding Kendall. I found some Quaker State with a SL rating, any good or not?

sure, i'd change it right at 2k or a little before, as it can't control soot and insolubles from the elements very well

Check a real speed shop, just for grins pick up a quart of kendall and a quart of regular oil then feel them between your fingers. Back in the day that stuff was flat out slippery and you could feel it. Speed shops are the only places I have seen it, real speed shops, ones that sell and race cars and generally have a machine shop in back for engine building.

5-90 said:
Kendall isn't bad, but it is a pain to find. Save the running about and use Valvoline or Castrol. Both are quite good, and can be had anywhere.

Also, if you have any chain locals around with "house brand" oil, try to find out who refines it for them. Valvoline and Castrol do a lot of "house" oils - both with new and rerefined oils - cut -
5-90

The thing is, 5-90, the house oil is not necessarily the same product. I've worked at Napa for a couple of years. Some customers claimed there is a difference of color and "texture" when they compared the house oil to the conventional Valvoline made by the same company so everybody wanted to know the real story.

On a slow day a friend there and I were bored so we decided to investigate the matter. We called up the company that makes it and tried to find someone who could answer our question. They basically said "yes, Ashland [Valvoline] makes this product, no it is not the same formula as the name-brand oil." It is a "second-run" oil whatever that means. I think that means it's made using their surplus capacity and complies with all specifications for the given API rating but its not the same product as "Valvoline" oil. Are you familiar with the supermarket brand sodas that taste similar to Coke?

I'm a big fan of kendall, I hate valvoline and castrol, my jeeps run better with valvoline.....except now they don't sell the good stuff anymore, only semi synthetic. I like the regular old 10 30 kendall. My jeeps run quietest on that stuff, no parafin junk, great oil.

Back