• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Another Winch Bumper

I think I'm going to go with Arctic Cat ATV lights. They have high and low beams, so I think I can get them to pass safety inspection. Here's a quick photochop. What do you think?

arcticcatlightsfu4.jpg

I think I'm going to go with Arctic Cat ATV lights. They have high and low beams, so I think I can get them to pass safety inspection. Here's a quick photochop. What do you think?
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/962/arcticcatlightsfu4.jpg

Interesting look. Different, I like it!
You sure they'll pass? I've never tried to pass anything with non-automotive specific headlights before, so I don't know.
Another thing I'd worry about it total light output. What is the total lumen output rating on those?

Interesting look. Different, I like it!
You sure they'll pass? I've never tried to pass anything with non-automotive specific headlights before, so I don't know.
Another thing I'd worry about it total light output. What is the total lumen output rating on those?

I doubt if the average inspection shop would know they're not from a car. No idea on the output. Anyone have an Arctic Cat ATV, and want to comment on their light output? This will see almost exclusively trail use, so I'm not really that worried about how bright the lights are. There will be some auxiliary lights hidden behind those other two holes in the bumper as well.

It got cold. It's been like, 45 degrees in the garage... :bawl:

So I took a break from the XJ and finished a bedroom in my basement. That's done, and it's starting to get warm again, so I'm going to finish this thing up. There is quite a bit more done than these pics show. The coilovers front and rear are all on, the steering and track bar done.

This is about where I want ride height. As close as I can tell, this is equivalent to a 3" lift. On 35s.

attachment.php

Here's the steering, track bar, and stuff. I haven't really done any more work to the front bumper yet. I did manage to find one of those Arctic Cat headlights used for cheap. It's going to be interesting to mount, but it should look cool when it's done.

img5054medium.jpg

Even at only 3 inches of lift and 35s there is quite a bit of compression travel left in the suspension at ride height. The 14" coilovers are about in the middle of their travel at ride height. Here it is on the bump stops, and I put an uncut front fender on to get a better idea of where the front axle is in relation to stock. The second picture is at ride height.

img4984medium.jpg
img4995medium.jpg

looks the same to me?

looks the same to me?
Nope as you can see in Ballistic Fabs pic, the shorter TRE is on the tie rod side, where as Rock Monkey has the longer on there...

To the OP: Good looking work. Keep it up.

Is your drag link on backwards? Or is this one shown incorrectly on BallisticFab's site?
Billy

PS - Any updates?
fingersx.gif
Updates? I got a package from Summit Racing today. :spin1:

I don't think it makes a bit of difference which way you put it. Both joints have the same maximum operating angle. I felt it would be marginally more resistant to rock damage by putting the longer joint up out of the way. They are the same 1.5" per foot taper, so it could easily be put on the other way.

Actually... Looking at the Ballistic Fab picture more closely, they're using a different joint than I am. I believe the joint they have on the tie rod end of the drag link is a low-operating angle joint. That should work fine. Since the joint is at the front of the tie rod it shouldn't see extreme operating angles as if it were on the top. I used high operating angle joints at both ends of my drag link. So in my case it doesn't matter which one goes on top. If you are using the exact selection of joints that's shown in the Ballistic Fab picture, you would need them oriented the way they show them in the picture.

i know this is ol post but i like the idea of other vehicle lights...
imma street bike guy and have a bug in me itching to get some led rears and something crazy in the front...whatever light you do go with try to find something with a projector buld..the lighting is awesome
good work on the build

Nope as you can see in Ballistic Fabs pic, the shorter TRE is on the tie rod side, where as Rock Monkey has the longer on there...

To the OP: Good looking work. Keep it up.

okay? I don't think it would make much difference... like already stated.

aah... I see

Not really bumper related, but I snapped an updated undercarriage pic for my build thread on another site, so I might as well post it here too. Once this thing is done-ish I might post a consolidated build thread here.

img5807medium.jpg

dude... y-linked front and rear??? that's gonna have some sick flex!

It's a double triangulated 4 link in the rear. You just can't see the upper control arms in the pic. It will flex just fine, but more importantly it will work. :yelclap:

how long are your uppers in the rear if they're not viewable from that picture?

and yea, y link in the rear is no good...

Back