• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Another Winch Bumper

How thick is the steel you plated the front frame rails with. I'm totally in the same boat w/ this:
The reason I tackled the front bumper at this point in my build was because I needed to make a new track bar mount. This was going to require some frame plating, and I knew I wanted to integrate the frame plates into the bumper. So in order to finish my front suspension I had to build the bumper.

I'm loving your setup.

Thanks,
Billy

How thick is the steel you plated the front frame rails with. I'm totally in the same boat w/ this:

I'm loving your setup.

Thanks,
Billy

Thanks! The frame plates are 3/16" inner and outer, both sides. I really should post updated pics. The front bumper is mostly done now, and the matching rear is taking shape as well.

I really should post updated pics.

werd.gif

Billy

Nice work, I like your method of madness.........with that new tube work, it begs for round headlights!
Keep up the good work!

Nice work, I like your method of madness.........with that new tube work, it begs for round headlights!
Keep up the good work!

Yeah, round headlights are the tentative plan. I really think it needs triangle headlights though. I've been looking at headlights from bullet bikes, scooters, ATVs, etc. Here it is with the radiator hoop on, you can see where a triangular headlight would really fit in and look awesome. Maybe I just want triangular headlights because I like doing things different than other people though....

img4623mediumhh8.jpg

my.php

Maybe I just want triangular headlights because I like doing things different than other people though....
my.php

Really? DARN IT! You stole my idea from my head! :mad: I honestly really was drawing up some plans for the front of mine and triangular headlights came to mind to be different. I hadn't mentioned or posted anything about it because I wanted a "shock" factor when I did... oh well. :D

BTW, your work looks great. I wish I had a full set of dimple dies to work with. I've only got one for 0.75" holes.

Really? DARN IT! You stole my idea from my head! :mad: I honestly really was drawing up some plans for the front of mine and triangular headlights came to mind to be different. I hadn't mentioned or posted anything about it because I wanted a "shock" factor when I did... oh well. :D

BTW, your work looks great. I wish I had a full set of dimple dies to work with. I've only got one for 0.75" holes.

Don't worry, you'll still shock everyone but the 4 or 5 people that have looked at this thread. :) Besides, I haven't found anything I really like yet. If I don't find just the right ones I'll bag the idea and just put round ones in.

Here's the best price I've found on the Light Racing set of 5 flared hole dies. Really not too bad, at $275.
http://sextonoffroad.com/home/index.php?p=proddetail&prod=15810

Don't worry, you'll still shock everyone but the 4 or 5 people that have looked at this thread. :) Besides, I haven't found anything I really like yet. If I don't find just the right ones I'll bag the idea and just put round ones in.

Thats the trouble I've had, not much in the way of triangle lights, let along something that'll work as a headlight.

Here's the best price I've found on the Light Racing set of 5 flared hole dies. Really not too bad, at $275.
http://sextonoffroad.com/home/index.php?p=proddetail&prod=15810

My 0.75" one is a Light Racing die. I'll probably pick them up in peices as I come across them. I don't really need the full set, nor do I have the $275 to drop on them whole deal. Probably pick up a 1.5" and a 2.0" or 2.5" later down the road.
I got mine from keithflux on the PBB, he at had the same deal running for the set of 5 as well when I bought my Pro-Tools die and the 0.75" dimple from him, not sure if he does anymore.

Lest anyone point out the asshattery of my front springs, tie rod, and track bar, I should point out that all are present only during the build process. I will be putting on coilovers once I've built a place to mount them, and building a proper track bar and crossover steering before this pile leaves the garage. :yelclap:

Lest anyone point out the asshattery of my front springs, tie rod, and track bar, I should point out that all are present only during the build process. I will be putting on coilovers once I've built a place to mount them, and building a proper track bar and crossover steering before this pile leaves the garage. :yelclap:

What's wrong with the way it is? :gee:

I figured that bent stock D60 tie rod was just for keeping the wheels straigh while building it. Which is why I didn't mention anything.

Nice fab work for sure. Its nice to see someone who knows what they are doing, it makes looking at all the booty fab on here a little easier. I am digging the dimples too...

~James

Nice fab work for sure. Its nice to see someone who knows what they are doing, it makes looking at all the booty fab on here a little easier. I am digging the dimples too...

~James
Thanks. Utah is in the Left Coast club, so my booty fab is limited to what my peers will accept.
icon12.gif

Last edited:
dude! this stuff is awesome!!! did you write up any specs on your radius arm setup? I'm interested in copying it if you don't mind... also, what axles are you running, out of curiosity?

dude! this stuff is awesome!!! did you write up any specs on your radius arm setup? I'm interested in copying it if you don't mind... also, what axles are you running, out of curiosity?

This is a low-buck buildup (when it's complete, I'll be into it way less than 5k including vehicle purchase), so I went with axles that I could get for cheap, and build for cheap. It's a high pinion Dana 44 front and a 9" rear from a 79 Ford Bronco. I left them full width (not as wide as one-ton or 3/4 ton stuff), and put 4.88 gears, a lock right in the front, and a Detroit in the rear. I did a home-brew rear disk conversion.

The radius arms were cut right behind the "C" bushing, and I used 2" x .250" wall DOM tube to build the main lower arm. The small upper section is 1.75" x .120" wall DOM, and it's plated with dimpled 1/8" plate. The frame end of the radius arms have Summit Machine flex joints currently, but I will be swapping them out for Jimmy Joints before the first run. I don't know the length of the arms off the top of my head.

Back