• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John D Super Slo-Mo Rebuild

i havent been red for a long time now. i was going to renew in march. now that im not a poor college kid anymore.

It's March.

mac ':wave: 'gyvr

Small update... I mostly finished up the crossmember with a TMR Atlas mount and a front trans mount and installed it. Having the t-case hang off the back unsupported always made me nervous when I threw down a four foot tire patch on the 1/2 shift. I still need to add some plate under the rear of the Atlas and drill/tap the front for a engine/trans skid mount though. It's good for now, and with eight bolts on one side and five on the other it should hold pretty well, LOL. I painted the arms orange (duh) and got the front axle back in. I am hoping this weekend to pull the 14B so I can finish grinding the underside smooth and also weld the tubes to the diff. Then I'm on to the brakes... getting closer.

Update, I've been working on getting the front together and did a little clearancing to add full-circle clips on the axle u-joints. It was easier than I thought it would be. This past week I was working in LAX airport and a fellow NAXJA member told me about a neat little race shop called Baker Precision in Long Beach. Thanks Luis! Just a couple ladies sitting at a desk making custom lines all day. I installed an adjustable prop valve and had them build lines to go from the MC to the prop. Happy with how it turned out.

P

Last edited:
Totally off track from this build, but what ecm mount is that? I need one for my c10 that I LS swapped.

Totally off track from this build, but what ecm mount is that? I need one for my c10 that I LS swapped.

You did it all wrong. Your supposed to say, "that looks great John, by the way, where did you get that mount?" :)
I made it, it's really nothing special.

Them some mighty fine looking lines!

Thanks for the tip Luis, it was an awesome little shop. I don't know if they gave me a deal or not, but it was certainly fair. And they friggin LOVE Bob Garland, they went on and on and on...

You did it all wrong. Your supposed to say, "that looks great John, by the way, where did you get that mount?" :)
I made it, it's really nothing special.

Thanks for the tip Luis, it was an awesome little shop. I don't know if they gave me a deal or not, but it was certainly fair. And they friggin LOVE Bob Garland, they went on and on and on...

Good to hear! Yes they do! Bob used to race the Baja 1000 back in his prime. A lot of the guys I work with are into some serious Baja/pre-runner style vehicles and they are who everyone uses. Also, they help sponsor the Toyota Tundra we raced last year and the LX570 that has been racing for the last few years in the Baja 1000. Definitely good people! Did you notice their oil, Neo Synthetics? They seriously make that stuff in the door off to the side. I didn't realize this until about the 12 or 13th time going there.

Did you notice their oil, Neo Synthetics? They seriously make that stuff in the door off to the side. I didn't realize this until about the 12 or 13th time going there.

I didn't realize it, wow.

Hubs and brakes all set. I'm working on some ideas for the lower shock mounts, it's very tight in there.

I didn't notice/think of it when I welded the inner C on but just this little bit sticking out was enough for axle interference. An hours worth of disassembly, grinding and reassembly later it was fixed. Frustrating to waste precious time...

I alwAys hate the stupid little things. 90% of most of these projects are the little shit.

That little bit was in the way? I guess I'll just plan on having to do that same thing. What was the problem? The u joint wouldn't fit/couldn't articulate?

I alwAys hate the stupid little things. 90% of most of these projects are the little shit.

Yeah, the little things add up to a LOT of time.

That little bit was in the way? I guess I'll just plan on having to do that same thing. What was the problem? The u joint wouldn't fit/couldn't articulate?

It was just enough to push the u-joint past its correct axis and it was binding. That mark below the arrow is from the back of the axle while I was moving the outer knuckle back and forth trying to figure out where the interference was.

Still making progress and finishing up the little things, it's getting close now. The only things left are fluids, shortening front driveshaft, front bump stops, front brake lines and engine/trans skid.

This is kinda cool. I was researching what I wanted to do for my rear driveshaft - lengthen my 1310/new, buy/build 1350, 1310 vs. 1350, etc.. Somehow, I came across a forum that mentioned that a SD Ford has a front 1350 which is 39" collapsed length; pretty close to the length I need. A friend with a salvage yard had one for $40. The driveshaft needs a flange yoke so I grabbed one from WFO and put new u-joints in the double cardan. This was the first time I ever had one apart and it was a great lessen in WTF is wrong with me? I must have put it together every possible wrong way!! LOL

Anyway, I installed the yoke and shaft... it's a perfect fit.

Back