• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep XJ: SUV OR NOT?

Hanz_Gruber22

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering would you consider your guys XJ a SUV or 4x4? I ask this cause I think if I’m not mistaken Jeep had a commercial saying that they were the anti SUV and when suvs first became popular. I personally think they are 4x4 and not suv. Cause the "s" in suv meant sport, meaning you could drive it like a sports car and still haul your lumber or what have you. I’m pretty sure that’s where the u came in “Utility”. I don’t know but I didn’t buy my jeep to autox or drag race I got it to go on trails and in mud and fun stuff like that. Grand Cherokee =SUV, liberty=SUV, Cherokee=4x4 am I wrong?

Hanz_Gruber22 said:
I was wondering would you consider your guys XJ a SUV or 4x4? I ask this cause I think if I’m not mistaken Jeep had a commercial saying that they were the anti SUV and when suvs first became popular. I personally think they are 4x4 and not suv. Cause the "s" in suv meant sport, meaning you could drive it like a sports car and still haul your lumber or what have you. I’m pretty sure that’s where the u came in “Utility”. I don’t know but I didn’t buy my jeep to autox or drag race I got it to go on trails and in mud and fun stuff like that. Grand Cherokee =SUV, liberty=SUV, Cherokee=4x4 am I wrong?

its on a truck frame. 4x4 isnt a frame. but you were right, grands, libertys are both SUV frames

Hanz_Gruber22 said:
i meant 4x4 as what to call it. i know its a unibody and not like a wrangler

A Cherokee

A XJ

A rig

A SUV

A short bus

A half a cherokee No Sorry just a few which have visited the sawzall doctor.

A grocery getter

??

Whatever you like

hinkley

The XJ was originally billed as a "multi-purpose" vehicle - the term "SUV" wasn't around yet. Makes sense to call it an MPV tho -

You can haul your kids around in it.
You can haul your friends around in it.
You can haul lumber or other materials around in it.
You can tow with it.
You can go pretty much anywhere in it.
You can build it to do anything from go to the mall to handle disaster-response
And, it hasn't fallen to the current "yuppiefication" of the "SUV" - very few of which are truly "SUV's" anymore anyhow (yes, I know they don't make it anymore. I haven't seen an XJ on 24's with rubberband tyres and such - and if I do, I shall shoot the owner dead and take his truck - and rebuild it properly. That's just sacrilegous...)

5-90

Hanz_Gruber22 said:
i have seen a 94-95 gand sittin on 18s when i was a lube tech at a jeep dealership 3 years ago. rubberband tires and everything. god did it look gay
Yes it did, my son.

Before the term SUV was coined, my XJ was classified as a station wagon by both the DMV and my insurance.
I've always called mine a station wagon.

Hanz_Gruber22 said:

Seems kinda ZEN to me. A Jeep Cherokee just IS. :laugh3:
Use it the way you want and stop calling it names ;)

Hanz_Gruber22 said:
so what about the 2x4 Cherokees?

What do you guys have against zj's? I've got a stock '93 and I've wheeled the piss out of it, and it still goes just fine. Same suspension as a tj, and when I get it lifted I'll be able to take it anywhere that my xj can go.

Yeah - I forgot about that. AAA calls my XJs "Station Wagons" - which results in an additional 30% or so off what I probably should be paying for insurance out here...

(I'm not referring to my driving - just the fact that I'm 33 years old, and paying what I did at 16 - and I had more coverage when I was 16!)

5-90

Hanz_Gruber22 said:
I was wondering would you consider your guys XJ a SUV or 4x4?

I consider my XJ to be a SUV and also a 4x4. Unless you have some weird definitions for these terms, it seems to me that most SUVs are also 4x4s.

4x4 means 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel brake. A pickup truck could be a 4x4. A 2wd cherokee is not a 4x4, but it is a SUV. A SUV is a station wagon body with truck-like ground clearance. Nowadays there is a wide spectrum of SUV's in both size and chassis design, ranging from the small Toyota RAV4 to the behemoth Ford Excursion, some on truck-like chassis (Chevy Tahoe for instance) and others with car-like underpinnings (a-la Toyota Highlander.) There shouldn't be any confusion here.

My 88 is titled and registered as an "MP" (short for MPV I reckon) but my 89 and 90 are titled as a "SW" (short for station wagon I reckon)

I'd title them all POS

And DILLIGAF?

Lawn Cher' said:
There shouldn't be any confusion here.

I don't think anyone here is confused about what a 4x4 is, or what a SUV is, unless it's the original poster. Not all 4x4s are SUVs, and not all SUVs are 4x4s, but most SUVs are, in fact, 4x4s. Any 4WD Cherokee is both.

My XJ is a moon rocket. It says so on the title.

Back