• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Regrets

IMG_3121.jpg

NOTHING!

except a little peice of sheet metal behind the front bumper that i should have cut out. neglected to. now i have a hole in one of my new tires. atleast it holds air again.

for the record the front fenders on pre '97 XJ's have sheet metal going all the way down past the marker lights down behind the black bumper caps.

if something happens and your tire/wheel comes loose that can act as a knife edge and cut into your tire.

cut it off flush with the bottom of the marker lights.

muey bueno.

Paying as much as I did for my XJ when I bought it...how many high school juniors do you know that have or have had a car payment to the bank?

Oh, and my original 3" lift "kit"...spacers, shackles and blocks. Axle wrap and driveline vibes almost made for some real bad news after a year of running with it.

I regret buying and installing my bushwackers.

I regret buying and installing my bushwackers.

This is on the list of anybody who owns a Bushwacker equipped wheeler...

I regret not buying an XJ before I spent so much money on a ranger, a Willys, 2 Mustangs, and a grand cherokee lol.

But its all good, not a huge regret b/c the Willys (Bombshell Betty) is going to be absolutely kick ass in a few more weeks!

Thats the craziest thing I think i have ever seen without the whole xj being torn up.

Yeah not a fun time. I was hauling butt home for a buddy's 21st birthday dinner, the axle was twisting in the u-bolts and causing an awful angle on the main shaft of the transfer-case. Lesson learned.

let's see....

i also regret trying to squeeze my waggy between 2 trees before looking for another route- now i have some body damage on what was an almost flawless body.

yeah but that was fun as hell!

I regret running through a mud obstacle a few weeks after that without checking how deep it was first... I flooded the inside and had to cut out the interior with a utility knife :smsoap:

I wish I would have gone with a piece together lift and not the RC I have. And a trans cooler. And changing the gearing previous to this week...gearing is totally worth it.

Only 4 regrets, otherwise I would spend the money all over again:

1. Not going 4.56 on my gear swap, 4.10 just isn't going to get it soon.

2. Should have gone with a better suspension kit, though it seems to have worked out at this point with modifications.

3. Rugged ridge crossover (I know it's an inverted T) steering. It's almost a disposable kit after making all the custom bends.

4. Not taking the XJ out of daily driver service sooner. Though it drives nice and tracks straight even at 85mph. I like saving it for the trails.

I regret not looking over the XJ in better detail looking for rusty bolts, rusty pinch seams, and overall general rustiness!

I regret taking the seller's word on that fact that the AC just needed a recharge when it really needed an evaporator.

I regret not noticing that the "check engine" light didn't turn on when you turn the key to accessory and all the dash lights do their little "dance." Had I noticed that, I would have maybe found out that the seller pulled the bulb out of the dashboard so that his buyers wouldn't know that the Jeep had an issue that would have kept them from buying it.

I regretted (not so much anymore) paying as much as I did for the ZJ. It was a case of "I want this truck, dammit." Of course, now it has been paid off for about 6 years and has over 200,000 miles and still going strong.

I regret not noticing that the "check engine" light didn't turn on when you turn the key to accessory and all the dash lights do their little "dance." Had I noticed that, I would have maybe found out that the seller pulled the bulb out of the dashboard so that his buyers wouldn't know that the Jeep had an issue that would have kept them from buying it.

That is amazingly shady. Wow

Of course, the MJ is kind of a hoopty.
hahaha, so's mine :cheers: only thing keeping it from passing inspection right now is the cracked windshield, though. I've fixed almost everything else on the long list of problems it had.

That is a really scummy thing to do though. The seller in my case told me the AC didn't work and probably never would, I was used to that due to my parents cars doing the same thing. He also told me the passenger door wouldn't open and that some WD40 would clear it up, turns out that it had 1/4" of rust growing on the entire latch mechanism but I managed to figure out how to get it open and repaired it for like 30 bucks so no big deal there. The price and amount of rust were the only real bad things he pulled on me (he didn't know about the tranny or radiator any more than I did) and, well, I got taken for a ride on that. Oh well, live and learn. Every once in a while I consider driving it back over there and saying "hey you are a terrible person you got me addicted to jeeps, thanks!"

I regret not painting Avon HOT PINK instead of just Cabernet Red.. lol

mark

Regret beating on all my XJ's
Regret getting drunk and wheeling when I was in highschool, lots of body damage and breakage from those days.
Regret buying this recent XJ, its been a mix bag of problems.
Regret selling my 99 XJ stocker, that was a clean SOB and drove like a champ, no problems.
Regret letting my friends drive my jeeps, makes you realize non XJ drivers don't get it, had a buddy who owns a YJ driving, get death wobble, and smash the gas peddle, cracked my steering box brace.
List goes on and on...

Regret putting anything over 33's on a jeep...
Regret switching to XJ's from GM's, the jeeps have alot of perks, but in the end I feel I would have been better off with a GM, never had anywhere near the breakage out of my K5's and K10's that I have had out of each and every of my Xj's

Regret not getting the stroker sooner.

Back