• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee Baja

I'm in the Military and I deployed to Egypt about 1 year ago. Upon arrival we didn't have but a few Hummers and Dueces available so we acquired "rental" vehicles from the public. We got a crap load of XJs, about 60, but there was one that was alloted to us that was a little different. I know it was a Jeep and I know it was an XJ, but after that I don't know. The only other markings that I could find on it was the word "Baja" written on the front doors along the bottom. I couldn't even find the year made anywhere on it and the VIN # had been removed. The only reason I ask this is because this thing was as fast as any sports car I have ever driven. The Egyptians had put some fat tires on it and when this thing started up it sounded like a turbo with the high pitched hmmmmm and all. We would air down the tires and do some mean off road in the sand dunes on the mid shifts. I still can't get over the power this thing had. On take off you could spin on every gear til you hit 5th. Looking under the hood proved nothing too me. I couldn't find one after market mod. Has anyone else heard of this type of XJ before? Sure would like to find another one, but not that one. We ragged the hell out of it!

In Korea there was a knock off (go figure) of the XJ from some Korean company, eith Daewoo, Hundai or KIA. The name plate was "Gallopher" and it was Turbo'd. Could also get a diesel. This is what I drove while I was there with the Coast Guard. Lot's of USAF and AUS personnel had them also down south in Tague and Pusan. Looked very close to an XJ.

This was an XJ all the way down to all the standard Jeep logos on the outside and the pre-98 interior design. Looked the same under the hood as my 93 and 97 XJ.

Strange...since it had no 'visible' mods could it be that it had some deep gears in the axles? I imagine a HO 4.0 would 'come alive' with moderate tires and 4.10 or 4.56 gears in the pumpkins. Did it run out of steam on the hardball (or did you care)

Other than gears...maybe a cam installed?

Combined deep gears & hot cam (+ exh and intake mods) would likely make for a peppy XJ

Back