• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Ultimate Sliders Review

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to move my comments over here to the Feedback Forum so mods please feel free to delete my posts out of the Vendr Advertisements Forum.

I ordered the Ultimate Sliders Jun 3rd 2012 and finally received them I believe July 7th after waiting for a lengthy back-order. While I had hoped to get them sooner the back-order issue wasn't of major concern to me. I did find getting a hold of JCR to be a bit tedious with them rarely answering their phone or returning emails but I did manage to get a response as to the status of my order and then as soon as they shipped I had an email notification with a tracking number.

They arrived as ordered and with all the hardware, the packaging definitely done in a manner to make losing the hardware impossible. Apparently either somebody forgot my little JCR sticker or they really want to make sure your sticker arrives in great condition as it arrivved in a seperate package a day later. Either way, no complaints and I was really excited to finally get them.

My initial impressions were very good as the quality of the welds, material thickness, and overall look was awesome.

I immediately made plans to install them that Saturday and coerced a buddy to come by and aid me with the process.

I painted all the peices the night before with self etchng primer:
bd7d113e.jpg

The next day my buddy arrives and we start going through the install instruction on JCR's website and figuring out out game plan. Install process is a bit tedious with a lot of 2 steps forward and 1 step back kind of processes. We struggled a bit getting them to sit up against the Jeep correctly to get all the lines to match and have them centered between the wheel wells. My fenders were heavily trimmed out so that was probably a major part of the issue. In the end they stuck out a little into the rear wheel well and I had to plasma off a section of the front and re-drill 2 new bolt holes for the front fender mounting. No big deal there, these were designed with un-modified rigs in mind.

Then came the problem of the brackets. They hung below the frame rails instead of going to them. I'm not sure if this was an install issue on my part or an issue with the way they were bent up on JCR's part but I had to flex them up a good 1/2" to meet the frame rail so I could start marking and drilling the holes onto my frame stiffeners.

In the end when I finally went to tighten everything down there was a serious gap between the slider and the brackets underneath they bolt to. I managed to get the bolts started and tightened them all down, this sucked the slider up against the brackets and all seemed well until I crawled out from under the rig. The sliders had pulled down and away from the body deforming the rocker itself where the nutserts were.

I resolved the issue myself by loosening all the bolts back up, removing the sliders, beating everything back into place and then welding the top edge of the sliders onto the body prior to bolting them back to the lower brackets.

Here they are installed for the final time
e874b7ca.jpg

Here is a close up of where I cut them down at the front fender. I counter sunk the two new holes I drilled so I could keep it looking correct
5f800d16.jpg

Here is how far out the tubes come away from the body, they're 1.75" OD although I'm not sure of thickness or if they're DOM or HREW
c29c7582.jpg

And here is how I welded them to the top edge of the rocker to prevent them pulling away as I tightened up the bolts underneath.
1a20c3a0.jpg

Despite all the issues I managed to geth them installed in 1 day and even got the painted up with Rustoleum's Brush On Hammered Finish Paint. I was in bed by midnight and able to pop the final install pics in the morning prior to going on a wheeling trip.
47f6c39b.jpg

2c8a34ce.jpg

586eb1ae.jpg

fff895f2.jpg

In the end I was annoyed with the pain in the arse installation but really happy with the end result and look of these. My buddies and I were sure they would be stout and hold up well. I liked that you dodn't lose nearly as much clearance with these as you do with your typical under the rocker sliders.

When I found the advertisement thread on these and a guy was asking about peoples opinions on these after install I posted up and mentioned the problems I'd run into. Daryl at JCR asked those of us who had had issues to email him and he then offered me a gift card as a way of apologizing. I thought that was awesome and asked him to just send me a set of their rain gutter clamps for making your own roof rack as I had them in mind for my HD Offroad roof sliders.

At this point I was more than happy with the Ultimate Sliders and with JCR's customer service. Sure I ran into some issues along the way but with my mediocre fab skills and willingness to weld steel to sheet metal it was nothing I couldn't solve. Then JCR tossed me the gutter mounts and I was like, "Bonus"

So 3 wheeling trips later and I finally manage to put the "Ultimate" Sliders to the test. The results weren't good and I'm afraid I had to flunk them out halfway through the semester.

Here is what I originally posted:
Well here you guys go, I just got back from running Red Elephant which is a fairly easy yet steep trail with only 1 real obstacle on it. On that solitary obstacle I set my passenger side rocker on the top edge of a solitary rock and then pivoted around the rock. Here is the aftermath from this little "test" of the "Ultimate" sliders.

I literally mean, set down. It didn't slam down hard, in fact it went so smoothly onto the rock it didnt even make a sound. The Jeep pivoted on said rock as we tried to get the Jeep oover the next rock before finally admitting defeat and just winching through like everybody else. Afterwards I went to open the back door and was shocked to realize that just by leaning the Jeep into/on this rock my tubing on my rocker guard was now interfering with the door. Here is the aftermath:

You can see a nice big dent in the the tubing and in the door itself back where the tubing meets the rocker
512c3c6b.jpg

The door now drags across the tube when you open it
5ab521ce.jpg

Here you can see how it caused the entire rocker to fold in and deform
b84d9a9f.jpg

Even better in this pic, notice how the rocker was pushed in so much that the bottom edge of the door doesn't meet it at all
de7b3c8a.jpg

Here you can see how the plating from the slider actually caused the the sheet metal to tear as it pushed in
13bcea7b.jpg

This also caused the backside going into the inner fender to deform outward with a nice jagged point
4cc38777.jpg

That nice jagged point decided to take my nearly new Krawler and tear it to shreds, so there goes 450$ worth of tire being chewed to crap by 450$ worth of useless slider
71cc9d65.jpg

0d68d57a.jpg

To make matters worse in my mind was the fact that all the other XJ's in our group pivoted along that rock in almost the exact same manner. Not only did the guys running traditional under the rocker sliders not suffer any damage, but my buddy running the same lift/tire size as me and no slider what so ever didn't suffer anything more than just a simple dent in his rocker. These "Ultimate" sliders actually caused me to suffer more damage than the guy w/o any rocker protection at all! :mad:
So yeah, tomorrow I'm going to a buddy's shop that has floor anchors and we're going to try to pull the rocker back down and out. I'll patch it up for now but over the winter these hunks of junk are getting cut off and I'm going with the 2x6 square tube rocker replacement method I should have done in the first place. So much for keeping the Jeep all nice, and so much for spending the extra money and buying something of "quality" to save myself a lot of work building something myself.

My Jeep is rust free and solid as well. There was a dent to my driver side rocker from a trip prior to getting the sliders but it wasn't where the nutserts go.

Got some more trip pictures from other people.

The rock my passenger side tire is on is the one that my jeep settled down onto and pivoted around
4wheelingtrip010.jpg

Here it is pivoting on the rock. All 4 tires were still on the ground
4wheelingtrip011.jpg

And then winching over the next rock
4wheelingtrip014.jpg

I did manage to get it pulled back down, now I just need to weld some of the sheet metal back together. Then I'm going to weld the sliders to the brackets and the brackets to the frame to make sure they're as solid as possible. Hopefully that'll last the rest of the season until I can start going the box tubing route.

9820c373.jpg

40d18913.jpg

My happiness with these from earlier in the month is now gone and out the window. While I do think they're constructed well, I think the overall design does not meet the needs of people who are planning on taking their rigs on anything more than a dirt road. If you plan on wheeling your rig at all aggressively then stick with the traditional under the rocker type sliders for a bolt on application or just do the typical boxed tubing rocker replacement a lot of guys do if you're fab happy.

In my honest opinion these are Mall Crawler only sliders and not meant for real abuse. This is not meant to be an attack on JCR Offroad in any way, I feel they resolved/handled my previous issues well and I can't see any way for them to reasonably solve this one, and I'm not looking for a refund or anything. I just wanted to put my experience with these out there and hopefully let others learn from my mistake. I spent the extra money on these and they didn't even last me a season. I wish I'd either bought traditional sliders or just fabbed up my own, and thats wat I'll be doing from now on.

thanks for this thread. I'm sorry to hear about all this that happened it does suck to be the guinny pig in situations such as this, but I appreciate it because I was looking at a set for my brother, but hearing this makes me think twice they wouldnt last long with us..and i agree with the mall crawler aspect of it.

nice looking xj btw love that patriot blue just like mine

So 3 wheeling trips with this one being the first trip they actually made contact with a rock?

Thanks for the warning, ahead of time for Yours Truly. I had considered getting a pair, once being able to afford them, but after reading your post about the problems you had with installation, and actual trail testing issues, I think I'll stick with Rusty' Offroad Sliders instead, for bolt-ons, or 2x4 or 2x6 3/16" DOM Box welded-ins instead.

Thanks for the honest opinions. I think even the matter you presented it in works well instead of straight to hard bashing full of profanity. I had my concerns which were shown from your wheeling feedback. Thanks for helping with my decision.

I will say that my old stage 3's were stout and I would buy those again. Just staying away from this style.

Thanks for the heads up. Was considering these for the sisters rig. Will definitely go a different route. Let us know if JCR has anything to say/do about the situation...

I'm not sure what would be reasonable for them to do on either end. Its not like I can try to demand they pay for me to ship them my rig and do the rocker replacement for me. Thats wouldn't be fair. In the end the craftsmanship is of good quality on these and they already made ammends to possible manufacturing issues leading to my original fitment problem. I think I would be plenty happy if they just made a note on their website that for more hardcore applications their other slider options are better choice.

I, too, was planning on getting a pair of these and will not do so now. What aggravates me a bit is that JCR has seen your public posts regarding your issues and hasn't stated what they are going to do to rectify the design flaw. I'm a bit disappointed...

First off, I apologize for these initially not fitting. I really wish we could have rectified it right there in our normal way (getting your product back, evaluating the fitting issue, send a new proper one back) because that not only makes sure that any quality control, shipping damage, or other issues that may arise get taken care of, but that in the end you get a product that installs properly, as that is the way we test our products around here.

I know that you and I talked about the welding issue, I said that the structure of our sliders would be fine welded to your Jeep, I also apologized and tried to make things right with you. You've been nothing if not level headed and honest with me and this forum, and that is refreshing and appreciated. I hope I have been the same with you.

So on to what happened, and for that I have no idea. The dent in the tube (1.75 x .120 wall for those curious) is an indicator of the amount of force we are dealing with, but the rockers of an XJ can take a lot of abuse and still be structurally sound (albeit dented to hell,) so why did the damage on your Jeep occur? Without testing and/or being there I can only pose questions.

• Was the bulk of the slider touching your rocker down the whole side? Or was it only affixed at the top with weld? This would put tons of pressure on that weld edge alone until the rest of the slider made contact with the body.
  • Was this attachment point (just the weld) in a location that more easily put leverage on that portion of the rocker than being bolted to the side?
  • Did the heat from the weld cause an issue with the sheet metal, with a seam, or with some panel glue?
  • In what way is this install different than welding box tube into the rocker directly. Leverage on the step? Resistance to twisting of the box tube because it's welded on the bottom too?

I'm sorry I've got more questions that answers. I do know that I've used and tested the ones on our shop XJ as intended (and not as intended, projects around my house get weird...), and we do have others that have used them as protection with no issues. That doesn't mean I think your wrong, I just wonder if this was related to the installation, the sun and the moon aligning that day, or a legit weakness in our product.

I've got another e-mail coming your way today, where we can talk about making it right between us privately.

If anyone has any questions or issues about or with our products, please feel free to contact me daryl at jcroffroad dot com

~Daryl

Last edited:
Hey Daryl,

I'm not particularly mad at you or JCR because of this at all. I'm just disappointed in the results and in myself for being lazy about fabricating my own stuff and buying a bolt on instead, and getting these results. If you've seen my past builds you'd see I typically put my mediocre fab skills to the test and make everything myself to the best of and beyond my ability.

I know the sliders were up as tight to the rocker as I could get them and are bolted using the nutserts. I tightened all the nutsert bolts first, then welded the top edge, and then tightened the bottom bolts going to the brackets.

Neither me nor the others present recall my jeep slamming into that rock, I'm the guy in the camo shorts ground guiding and my wife was driving. I will say I did have a ton of camping gear in and on the rig so it was an extra heavy pig that day.

I can't attest to wether or not the welding weakened the sheet metal. The bend in the rocker was between the weld and where it bends up for the inner step. I think there was extra leverage due to the weight being placed on the tube and not directly below the slider.

The reason I feel the box tubing would've been better in hindsight is because not only would it be welded to the body top and bottom but because I would've also ran square tube braces back to the frame rails making a mini boatside kind of deal out of it. That would've been more resistant to twisting up like it did.

I appreciate the response and will talk to you via email shortly.

Thanks,
Dutch

So its your fault, you put this voodoo on me Ricky Bobby. How could you? :D

So 3 wheeling trips with this one being the first trip they actually made contact with a rock?

doesnt have to last forever... just longer than the jeep.

my comment was in response to this post:

Its probably .120 wall, which will die under the kinda of beating most of us put on our rigs.

I am talking to a local fab guy about building some for me out of .155 or .188. Will cost me about the same or less as the JCR ones, and will be better constructed and last forever.

can you get a few pictures of the underneath. Specifically the frame tie in bits.

Back