• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've Come to my senses (Quakerstate)

All my, my fathers, mothers, sisters, etc., are all dino feed engines (I change most of there oils) and have lasted as long as we want them too. And longer in many cases. As long as the engine out last the car in general. Why would I want to spend the extra bucks on syn oil????

i've heard that synthetic is the way to go as long as that engine has been broken in on synthethic from the beginning. other than that you're wasting money on the expensive shit. that is what my buddy who is an ASE mech has said. he also only runs valvoline also.

Brian Strickland said:
i've heard that synthetic is the way to go as long as that engine has been broken in on synthethic from the beginning. other than that you're wasting money on the expensive shit. that is what my buddy who is an ASE mech has said. he also only runs valvoline also.

As I remember, and it has been a while since I read it, synthetics should NOT be used until AFTER a break in period.
Just what I remember reading or being told by an engine builder.

XJ4PLAY said:
As I remember, and it has been a while since I read it, synthetics should NOT be used until AFTER a break in period.
Just what I remember reading or being told by an engine builder.

So how do you explain the motors that come from the factory with synth in them?

Sarge

I think the Corvette's engine comes from the factory with Mobil 1 as does Mercedes engines. I have heard that some of the Vette's engines rings don't seal. I have run synthetics from about the late 80's off and on. I have gone about 10K on some changes. I have a 96 Ford Contour that has been on synthetics since about 20K. I went 9K on an oil change at 160K. It might have used about 1/2 a quart. I usually saw about 2 mpg highway with synthetics. I would run about 6-10K miles before I used synthetics. I din't have any problem in switching between brands of synthetics ( Castrol, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum, also Castrol, Ammaco Ultimate, and possibly Mobil 1 in another engine) and also between dino oils. I haven't run dino oils in a while except the Shell Rotella 15W-40 in the MJ. I used to run Havoline. I hear on BITOG that its one of the top ones.
Tom

I don't have the links anymore but Carnegie-Mellon did a test using 4 cyl pinto engines, all 5 or 7 of them were rebuilt to the same specs then run in to seat the rings. Once that was done they then filled the engines with a variety of oils, organic to syn and ran them for 50,000mi, in a lab, under controlled conditions with normal filter and oil changes. When they completed the test they tore them down and compared the before and after measurements, the organic run motors had *measureable* wear, the synthetic run engines had *NO measureable* wear. There were a couple of others done too but the testers and labs who did this were payed by someone to do it which to me might skew the results a tad...

Back