• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's on!!! D.V. April 2-4 2010

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Death Valley Tour April 2-3-4 2010

This is inked for me! Any and all welcome..... This is a family trip so bring the kids/grandkids.....,

Okay, here's the route I have come up with.

I am leaving Orange County Thursday night and camping in Ballarat (ghost town). It's approximately 200 miles from Anaheim to Ballarat.

Friday:

I plan on leaving Ballarat no later than 10:00 am. This will allow for anyone who would be coming up Friday morning instead of overnighting in Ballarat. If everyone shows up before, we will leave when everyone is ready. The nearest gas is in Trona which is about 25 miles before Ballarat. If you want to come and can't get to Ballarat by 10, lemme know and perhaps we can work something out.

We'll go down Wingate Road to Goler Wash, up over Mengel Pass, then down to West side Road. Once we hit the highway, we will head north to Badwater, Devils Golf Course, Artists Drive, then on to Furnace Creek. The plan is to stay at a campground in Furnace Creek, perhaps Sunset or Texas Springs. FC campground is already full.

Trona to Furnace creek is approximately 140 miles.

Saturday:

We can gas up in Furnace Creek (if needed) and drive to Beatty. In Beatty we will top off because there will be no gas until Panamint Springs (160 miles almoast all off-road). From Beatty we will stop at Rhyolite (ghost town) then head to Titus Canyon. In Titus Canyon we will stop at Leadfield (ghost town). Then it's on to Scotty's Castle for the house tour. I would like to stop at Ubehebe Crater, but last report was the parking area is closed for repairs. It may open before April??

From Scotty's (or Ubehebe) we will head to Teakettle Junction and the Racetrack playa where we will camp for the night at Homestake campground. This is a dry camp so you will have only what you bring with you.

Beatty to Homestake is approximately 100 miles.

Sunday:

We will break camp heading back to Teakettle Junction then up Hunter Pass and over to Highway 190. Then on to Panamint Springs for gas. From there, those who wish can depart home. Or you can come with us to Darwin Falls and Darwin (ghost town).

From Darwin we will head back to the 395 and then home!

Homestake to Panamint Springsis approximately 65 miles.

I will be driving my XJ, and my brother will be driving my Sierra. There are a couple of other people with trucks who have guaged interest . 4 wheel drive is recommended, however, high vehicle clearance is a MUST!

We can decide as we go as to when lunch breaks will be.

Some of the sights we will probably stop to see include:

Ballarat(ghost town)
Barker Ranch. The last hideout of Charles Manson and his "family"
Mengel Pass Cairn
Badwater. The lowest point in the continental U.S.
Devils Golf Course
Natural Bridge (if we have time)
Artist's drive
Rhyolite (ghost town)
Titus Canyon
Leadfield (ghost town)
Klare Spring petroglyphs (if we have time)
Scotty's Castle
Ubehebe Crater (if it's open)
Race Track Playa. Famous for it's moving rocks
Lost Burro mine
Hunter Pass
Panamint Springs
Darwin Falls
Darwin (ghost town)

If you can think of anything I missed, or see any major flaws in my plans please let me know.

Thanks and hope you can make it.

728392589_hdRVR-L.jpg

Sounds fun, I will have to see if I can get the kids out of school... and afford it with SoCalXJ Jamboree and SoCalFest

I don't know why, but my kids have Friday off.... Weird.
Isn't that the week before Easter, which would make it Spring Break? (Unless your son's at a UC College, which is doing their Spring Break the week before the week before Easter. Sigh.

I'm currently planning on going on a Wildflowers & Scenic tour with some friends in 2 weeks, so unless that falls thru, I probably won't make this one. But it sounds like quite the trip!

I'd like to make this. The silver state race isn't until end of April so I "should" be available this weekend. I bet my son would love it.

*subscribing*

The silver state race isn't until end of April .....

BITD??? We are racing the Balls-Out 250 (M.O.R.E.) end of April also.

Would love to have you and yours come along. I'll be bringing the dear wife, my 18 yo son (and GF, need a prybar to get those 2 apart), and my 12 yo daughter.

BITD??? We are racing the Balls-Out 250 (M.O.R.E.) end of April also.

Would love to have you and yours come along. I'll be bringing the dear wife, my 18 yo son (and GF, need a prybar to get those 2 apart), and my 12 yo daughter.

Probably going out to help out with Rich and the Pro-truck again......hopefully in my Bronco and not the accord again. haha

So, this would be meet up thursday night/friday morning and returning to OC sunday?

It would be me, my wife and (by then) 14 year old son. Knowing me, I'll show up with at least one more in there....always seem to have a full back seat when I go out (I like sharing stuff with people who may not ever get a chance or have access to a 4x4).

This trip sounds like fun. I moved to Ridgecrest so I could be closer to the wheelin around Death valley and the desert. Just wanted to jump in and say to check the weather and road conditions on hunter Mountain. It can still be snowed in at the first of April and impassable, especially if this weather keeps up. If that is the case, just take the Lippencott road down to the Saline valley road and then south out to highway 190. If you are not familiar, the Lippencott Road turn-off is to your right just before Homestake dry camp. It is a 7 mile shelf road but can be done in a full size pick-up. I did in my 2002 Dodge Ram full size with no problem (just take your time) and of course my XJ did it with no problems. Have fun. Randy

It is a 7 mile shelf road but can be done in a full size pick-up. I did in my 2002 Dodge Ram full size with no problem (just take your time) and of course my XJ did it with no problems. Have fun. Randy

Thanks.... That's the reason I chose Hunter pass over Lippencott.

My brother will be driving my Sierra 2500. It's lifted w/tires, open front, LSD rear. I was afraid it might be too big. I've seen pictures of some of Lippencott and it looks like it could be a challenge.

Also I will have a few people who have little experience off-roading. I heard there was an XJ rolled out on Lippencott recently, and I don't want to put an inexperienced driver on a black diamond trail....

ALSO...... My wife hates, hates, HATES narrow trails with drop offs.... So much so that she will get out and walk, no matter how far it is.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Hunter pass will be doable in April....

Haven't heard of any roll overs on the Lippencott, there was one on chicken rock in South park canyon near ballarat during Panamint valley days back in November. A woman in an XJ with her two sons went over but other than a broken finger they are alright. The road surface of Lippencott is easy, the problem comes at some of the corners where the road narrows due to wash outs. A few months ago an H1 Hummer and some full size pick-ups went down it. I hear you tho, for first timers it can be intimidating. Also, if titus canyon is still washed out try Chloride cliff instead. It has some great views that rival Dante's view. And it is great trail for first-timers. Randy

ALSO...... My wife hates, hates, HATES narrow trails with drop offs.... So much so that she will get out and walk, no matter how far it is.

So do my Kids...

Just checked and my kids get off the 5th - 9th, I will have to check to see if I can get them off the previous friday as well.

Just found out we (work) get off the 2nd of April so this is looking even more doable. Just need to acquire some sleeping bags and a tent.....Oh Jim......Oh Bill........haha

Just found out we (work) get off the 2nd of April so this is looking even more doable. Just need to acquire some sleeping bags and a tent.....Oh Jim......Oh Bill........haha

Lemme know if I can do anything to help.

Also If you have a few things that don't fit in the XJ, I'll have the GMC.

Except maybe your Barcalounger.... You'll have to strap that to the roof of your Jeep......

Lemme know if I can do anything to help.

Also If you have a few things that don't fit in the XJ, I'll have the GMC.

Except maybe your Barcalounger.... You'll have to strap that to the roof of your Jeep......

Don't have the XJ anymore. Bought the Bronco, remember? It fits just about anything I could ever want but I'll keep the GMC in mind just in case.

Back