• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Isuzu Dana44 Help

Ra-kez

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on setting up a 95 Rodeo d44 for my xj. How do you get off the bearing retainer that is on the removed axle shaft?? And once its removed, can you reuse it? Thanks in advance for the help.

First off , I have never seen the Izuzu 44 but if it's like the others you can cut it off, blast it with the air chisel and replace it with a new one.

If you don't have a press and a bearing splitter handy, I'd use a cut-off wheel/die grinder, and yes, you will need to replace it....I've had a few that were a PITA....needed a torch and air hammer even after cutting them....sometimes they can really suck.

all right, cutting it sounds like the way to go, lot of fun......the placess around here want at least $150 a shaft to just pull 'em.

It's not that bad usually. If getting the retainers off is giving you trouble....properly setting up the final drive is gonna really give you fits....if you're going that deep into it.

I wouldnt waste the time trying to press them off to salvage them. Bust out the air chissel and go at it, then buy some new ones.

Just wondering if you realize that that d44 is not a true d44... look at the carrier and gears... See how they are smaller, offset, and thinner to compensate? They are also narrower than a stock XJ axle. Personally Id check what parts you can and cannot get for that particular 44 before you built it.
If you already know this, then cool, if not, then I hope I might have saved you some hassle.

53Guy ran his pretty hard and did fine.. go for it.

BakersfieldXJ said:
I wouldnt waste the time trying to press them off to salvage them. Bust out the air chissel and go at it, then buy some new ones.

Just wondering if you realize that that d44 is not a true d44... look at the carrier and gears... See how they are smaller, offset, and thinner to compensate? They are also narrower than a stock XJ axle. Personally Id check what parts you can and cannot get for that particular 44 before you built it.
If you already know this, then cool, if not, then I hope I might have saved you some hassle.

I'm running Nick's (53 Guy) Isuzu D44 in the back of my XJ now on 37" Stickys...

Hmm... I regeared it b/c Nick had an ARB in it.. I purchased a "true D44" carrier, and master install kit... and a "true D44" lockright.. not sure where you're getting this misleading information from. But any D44 gearset/carrier/locker will just drop in...

Another tidbit at least w/ mine (and the spare shafts I've pulled).. It has 1.5" shafts that neck down slightly at the splines.. I know, I know, it doesnt matter much I just thought it was interesting...

The pinion is different than a "true D44" in that is uses a crush sleeve...If you want info send Nick (53Guy) a PM.. hes busy but should get back to you..

I trussed mine w/ a TNT Customs truss and have had zero problems w/ it.. I picked up some spare shafts at Pull-A-Part for $12.50/each.. bearings were good and rotors were good... Hopefully you'll have calipers to use as cores otherwise its going to get $$$. Also it is slightly shorter than an XJ/MJ D44.. nothing some Spidertrax 1.25" spacers couldnt solve... Now it's approx. 1/2" (unnoticable w/ naked eye) narrower than my Waggy 44 up front..

Are you sure your bearings are bad and need replacing?

pic001.jpg

pic004.jpg

xj051.jpg

I'm happy w/ it...

BakersfieldXJ said:

The myth of the "metric 44"... I can tell you first hand, as one is under my rig, that the internals on an Isuzu D44, i.e. carrier and gears, are just like any other D44. While the master install kit typically uses a crush sleeve for the pinion as opposed to shims, you can use a shim kit as well if you choose. there is a special Isuzu seal for the pinion, but otherwise, you are looking at typical stock D44 parts. Ditto on the cold chisel drill method in the post above to pull the retainer.

I can also tell you first hand the 90's Izusu Trooper D44 I have sitting behind the shop is not what I call a true d44. The gears are much much narrower and shallower than say a XJ 44, the stock carrier has a funny flange that acts like a spacer unlike any other 44 Ive ever seen. Now weather or not other oem and aftermarket parts will fit into the housing is a different story, which is why I said he should check.

I may be wrong but I believe the axle your looking at is an Isuzu 12-bolt... While the axles found in the Rodeo is a D44.. I just need to find that link somewhere...

Last edited:
The newer body style trooper (92+ ) had the 12 bolt I believe. My first vehicle was a 94 trooper, it has the 12 bolt. My brother just got another 92 and it has the 12 bolt. Dana 44 may have only been in the rodeo and Trooper II (boxy)

BakersfieldXJ said:
They are also narrower than a stock XJ axle.

Since Isuzu 44 tech doesn't come up that often, I figure I will throw this one out there: A 44 from a '98 Rodeo is the EXACT same WMS as a waggy (dont remember - 60 1/2 or 61 1/2??)

How do i know? I have one. And as previously mentioned, it accepted my ARB and a standard set of 5.13's just like any other 44.

-jm

Rodeo 44's are 59.75" wsm to wsm.. I know I have been measuring them. They use a standard 3.73 down carrier and thick ring gears. I am going to pull another one to play with this weekend. I think they make a great swap into the XJ since the D44 from the XJ are getting scarce. You get a 11" vented rotor with the disc brakes and 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern that will match a yota or waggy front end. I know they use a crush sleeve but you can make a spacer to eliminate that. There is a little bit of 44 tech over on Pirate in the Izuzu section.. Just my $.03 worth

Thanks for the help guys, I think bearings are fine, wanted to take it to this place and see if they could redrill the lugs to 5 on 5.5. The backing plates could use replacing too, but I can probably straighten 'em out enough my self. As far as the redrilling, instead of doing that, I think I'm just going to run 2 sets of wheels and carry an adapter for spare

Back