• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issue with 4.88 gear install on 8.8 rear end

So how do you install that shaft without grinding the gears(since its not ground the full length).That shaft has been modified for oiling purposes(its not a Jeep thing)!

ROBERTK said:
Yeah I guess that makes sense, since a 1"x.120wall piece of mild steel is stronger then a 1"x.088wall of chromoly tube right? I mean the mild steel is thicker and all.

The cross section of the notched pin in the installed position will have the same cross section of moment matieral, as the non notched.

Do you know what your talking about here? Have you ever seen a notched cross pin and are you able to evaluate this situation in a capacity to make rationalized evaluations? Just askin...

Here since I dont think you know what the notched cross pin actually looks like?
88NTCHXPIN.JPG

We're not talking about mild steel and Chromoly here. They're talking about crosspins, even the stock ones are not made of mild steel. Until you see the specs on the actual material you're blowing just as much smoke as the others are.

BTW you anti pin guys, it looks as though the material removed is in such a place that it wouldnt be taking much force.

I ground a tooth and it took less time than reading this silly thread. They are both acceptable alternatives.hasta

RCP Phx said:
So how do you install that shaft without grinding the gears(since its not ground the full length).That shaft has been modified for oiling purposes(its not a Jeep thing)!

you insert the cross shaft before you do anything with gears. Install the carrier side gears or insert locker, then the pin and then the ring gear. Install it all in the housing and then use a flat head screw driver to turn the shaft. As you turn for the notch to one side open that allows that axle to slide in nthe housing far enough for that c-clip to be slipped in and then pull that axle out to lock it in. Then rotate the shaft 180 and do the other side c-clip and then rotate it 90 adn put the retaining pin in and your good.

Oh and I never said it was chromoly or mild steel or any of that. I did give an example though of an comparision.

And your right though. Through hardening a piece of tool steel, will not make it sigfificantly stronger. Or wait will it? :wierd:

and this coming from a guy that ask if he should spend the 400$ to have a mechanic install a front lunchbox locker?

again though.. IF you want to grind thats fine. But I would prefer to just spend the 25-30$ for a stronger part and not have to remove material from a stress area.

ROBERTK said:
IF you want to grind thats fine. But I would prefer to just spend the 25-30$ for a stronger part and not have to remove material from a stress area.
There is no "stress area",the material(what little is even required if you index the gears properly) is removed from below where the pinion even makes contact with the gears!

i dont think i really understand crosspins jobs, or what they really do. could somebody explain to me what kind of stresses they see. not that i dissagree with anybody. i just always thought it was a pin, which just spun around, and never really saw any stress

wishihad1 said:
i dont think i really understand crosspins jobs, or what they really do. could somebody explain to me what kind of stresses they see. not that i dissagree with anybody. i just always thought it was a pin, which just spun around, and never really saw any stress

It does not spin. It is locked in with the retaining pin/bolt.

Its purpose is to do a few things on a c-clip design axle.

First it positions and aligns the side gears, or the differential (spider) gear set or a insert locker, in the carrier.

and second it limits the axle from traveling in to the housing any further once the c-clips are on and the cross shaft is fully installed.

Last edited:
ROBERTK said:
It does not spin. It is locked in with the retaining pin/bolt.

Its purpose is to do a few things on a c-clip design axle.

First it positions and aligns the side gears, or the differential (spider) gear set or a insert locker, in the carrier.

and second it limits the axle from traveling in to the housing any further once the c-clips are on and the cross shaft is fully installed.

It also transfers all rotational force from the carrier to the spiders. which then transfer it to the side gears and ultimately the axle shafts. Therefore the cross pin sees high shear stress between the carrier and the spiders. There is not, however, nearly as much stress on the center of the cross pin, which is why it is ok to remove the material from it.

The point of my post is that you have no idea what the properties of the cross pin material are. Therefore you have no leg to stand on. Not arguing with you, just pointing out that you are as full of poop as the guys who don't know anything about metalurgy, it's just fancier poop.

As for me asking how much a locker should cost to install. It is because the locker is 6 hours away from me at my brother in laws house and I am not there to install it.

goodburbon said:
Not arguing with you, just pointing out that you are as full of poop as the guys who don't know anything about metalurgy, it's just fancier poop..

..........may have to use this as my new signature quote, with your permission of course! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's really all in fun and anything is fair game for a sig. Take note of mine.

Robert just to make this absolutely clear I don't mean any ill toward you personally at all.

Back