• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Suspension

whats wrong with rock krawler or clayton? bot of them are good companies and make a true 3link setup. IRO's is not a true 3 link, save the money and buy it once!

Has anyone actually had the caster adjustment break? I have had my system for almost a year and now problems....i think alot of people just haven't seen this kit in person....the parts are BEEFY!

called it a 3-link, I guess so people would compare it to a real hardcore-style 3 link.

yea, that kinda bugs me a bit. 3 links are all the rage nowadays, and most people see "3 link" and automatically think its awesome.

or they just don't know what they are selling.

such as with their "almost alloy kit" they say it will work with dana 30's and 44's with 5-760x u joints.

They clearly have never installed a set in a real dana 44. There is no room for anything else on top of the u joint caps If you expect it to fit through the opening in the knuckle.

Has anyone actually had the caster adjustment break? I have had my system for almost a year and now problems....i think alot of people just haven't seen this kit in person....the parts are BEEFY!

seen it in person, I lol every time.

Last edited:
yea, that kinda bugs me a bit. 3 links are all the rage nowadays, and most people see "3 link" and automatically think its awesome.

or they just don't know what they are selling.

such as with their "almost alloy kit" they say it will work with dana 30's and 44's with 5-760x u joints.

They clearly have never installed a set in a real dana 44. There is no room for anything else on top of the u joint caps If you expect it to fit through the opening in the knuckle.

seen it in person, I lol every time.
Did it happen while going over a log or was it in a sticky situation?

No, ive seen the kits in person on primarily street rigs. Thankfully nobody I wheel with runs them.
Well as long as you dont plan on wheeling The Rubicon or Fordyce or better yet just stay out of the Sierra Nevadas altogether ,we will be just fine. Our kiddie trails might be too easy for your rig. Wouldn't want to have to share a trail with anyone that doesnt run
aprooved by you products. Who apppointed you the God of Wheeling ? You should get off your high horse. I would never tell a fellow entusist that I am too good to wheel with them or that unless you run xyz product or if you run xyz your not good enough. Thats nonsense .

Well as long as you dont plan on wheeling The Rubicon or Fordyce or better yet just stay out of the Sierra Nevadas altogether ,we will be just fine. Our kiddie trails might be too easy for your rig. Wouldn't want to have to share a trail with anyone that doesnt run
aprooved by you products. Who apppointed you the God of Wheeling ? You should get off your high horse. I would never tell a fellow entusist that I am too good to wheel with them or that unless you run xyz product or if you run xyz your not good enough. Thats nonsense .

sarcasm doesnt go over too well on the left coast, huh?

sarcasm doesnt go over too well on the left coast, huh?

seriously...

And honestly I really don't like wheeling with rigs that are underbuilt for certain trails, trail progress is slow, and can turn a day of wheeling into a day of sitting around helping people fix their rigs. Which can be fine just hanging out with some cool people, but when I drive 6 hours one way to wheel, I'm not always a happy camper if im busy helping people fix their rigs and help them limp back to civilization for half the trip.

Last edited:
Honestly, it all comes down to how much you want/can spend. I have the IRO long arm kit and I love it. no problems with it....Its an easy system to maintain. The only thing that bothers me is the caster adjuster....although it has never given me any trouble. I would not hesitate to run this kit on anything that I have ever ran before. Since uwharrie is the only place that I tend to go to, i have no reason to not believe that the IRO kit will accomplish what I need it to.
I had a friend who thought he had to have what he thought was the best of everything just to find I can keep up with him no problem and spend 6k less on parts....

If you like the IRO kit and its in your budget...get it...you will not be disappointed. If you can afford to swing a bit more and get something like RE or clayton....then go for that, you will not be disappointed.

And honestly I really don't like wheeling with rigs that are underbuilt for certain trails, trail progress is slow, and can turn a day of wheeling into a day of sitting around helping people fix their rigs. Which can be fine just hanging out with some cool people, but when I drive 6 hours one way to wheel, I'm not always a happy camper if im busy helping people fix their rigs and help them limp back to civilization for half the trip.

Precisely. It's not about the parts you run, it's about the trails you're on with those parts. If you run stuff when you have a good chance of breaking, you just put the burden on everyone else in the group.

On a trip 2 weeks ago, a XJ guy was wheeling in our group because he was in our club, even though he had a much smaller build than everyone. I'm talking low lift, smaller tires and I'm not even sure he had lockers. Needless to say, he'd try to follow us through every really hard trail, stuff that I had trouble getting through on 35's with dual lockers. First day, he took a really bad line and put the jeep on it's side, almost on it's roof (good thing his son and dad had gotten out). Took us almost 2 hours to recover it and get him running and off the trail.

The second day, we were going up a steep, slippery, trail with a few technical rocks and he let his dad drive, who hardly has any experience. Whenever he couldn't make it over a rock, he just went full throttle and had the XJ pretty much bouncing completely off the ground. Ended up setting his front wheel at 45* camber half way up the trail. Broke both balljoints and the axleshaft. Had to replace it all on a crazy steep hill and it took over 3 hours. They basically killed half of our weekend wheeling time because everyone was nice and stayed with them (and helped) while everything was fixed.

Not that I'm going to explicitly not wheel with someone or tell them not to go up a trail, but don't expect me to be all happy and chummy with you after you kill half a wheeling trip.

Honestly, it all comes down to how much you want/can spend.

I don't think that's the case. Greatwhitejeep obviously has money to spend on quality parts like RCV's and the like, so I have no idea why he wouldn't pony up a bit more coin for a good longarm setup. It's cheaper, so they obviously have to sacrifice something compared to all the nicer kits.

For all you east coast nay-sayers I say come on out west and run fordyce and or the Dusy Ershim trail with your it's better because it costs more suspensions and then tell me again how the IRO kit is too weak for any real trails. Preach how there's no way it can work with no real world experience with it. It flat works and you'd be hard pressed to find better for the price. 2 examples of bent caster adjusters doesn't mean a whole lot, I snapped the sector shaft of my steering box, does that mean Saginaw boxes are faulty and too weak for wheeling?

For all you east coast nay-sayers I say come on out west and run fordyce and or the Dusy Ershim trail with your it's better because it costs more suspensions and then tell me again how the IRO kit is too weak for any real trails. Preach how there's no way it can work with no real world experience with it. It flat works and you'd be hard pressed to find better for the price. 2 examples of bent caster adjusters doesn't mean a whole lot, I snapped the sector shaft of my steering box, does that mean Saginaw boxes are faulty and too weak for wheeling?

theres just a few facts about the iron rock system that make it less desirable than other systems. There isn't much to argue there.

Sure, it will work for most people. but there are better kits out there, and some people prefer to have the best , as opposed to "good enough".

Precisely. It's not about the parts you run, it's about the trails you're on with those parts. If you run stuff when you have a good chance of breaking, you just put the burden on everyone else in the group.

On a trip 2 weeks ago, a XJ guy was wheeling in our group because he was in our club, even though he had a much smaller build than everyone. I'm talking low lift, smaller tires and I'm not even sure he had lockers. Needless to say, he'd try to follow us through every really hard trail, stuff that I had trouble getting through on 35's with dual lockers. First day, he took a really bad line and put the jeep on it's side, almost on it's roof (good thing his son and dad had gotten out). Took us almost 2 hours to recover it and get him running and off the trail.

The second day, we were going up a steep, slippery, trail with a few technical rocks and he let his dad drive, who hardly has any experience. Whenever he couldn't make it over a rock, he just went full throttle and had the XJ pretty much bouncing completely off the ground. Ended up setting his front wheel at 45* camber half way up the trail. Broke both balljoints and the axleshaft. Had to replace it all on a crazy steep hill and it took over 3 hours. They basically killed half of our weekend wheeling time because everyone was nice and stayed with them (and helped) while everything was fixed.

Not that I'm going to explicitly not wheel with someone or tell them not to go up a trail, but don't expect me to be all happy and chummy with you after you kill half a wheeling trip.

I don't think that's the case. Greatwhitejeep obviously has money to spend on quality parts like RCV's and the like, so I have no idea why he wouldn't pony up a bit more coin for a good longarm setup. It's cheaper, so they obviously have to sacrifice something compared to all the nicer kits.

Im talking in general. If you have $500 to spend on a long arm kit and you can't afford to put out another $500 for a nicer kit....then IRO is a good choice. Not everyone has money to just throw at their jeep and i know that some do. But its kind of like getting an RC lift versus an RE lift. if we are talking an entry level 3" kit....is spending $300 less on the RC kit as opposed to the RE kit mean that you are buying something that has a tendency to break easier than the more expensive kit? not at all. And yes it all comes down to how much money a person has.
I agree that if I had an extra $1000 lying around, I would probably buy a different kit, more than likely claytons 3 link kit. but for someone who wants to go long arm on a budget, def nothing wrong with IRO. if it sucked SO bad, they wouldn't put it out and back it up.

Last edited:
I wheel with 3-4 XJ guys that run the IRO kit.. from street to Tripple black diamond style trails, I've never encountered a problem..

I personally like IRO's customer service, But the whole "Good enough, vs The best" thing is why i went with Claytons Front and rear on my ZJ.. For me the Claytons kit in the rear was a completely different design then IRO, What i felt was, If iro Spent some more time in the R&D department, They could of had me as a customer.. I didnt buy into the "Fanboi" crap.. I wanted certain things out of this expensive purchase.. and when you compare the Claytons to the IRO.. You can clearly see a quality difference..

While i personally have never seen a Failure, I can Understand the concerns people have with the front long arm kit and the Caster adjuster.. They did a great job on the crossmember, they did a great job on the 5/16" DOM arms.. but Why try to be different with the caster adjuster? Would i run it? Sure.. But If 9/10 people are against it, How's that gonna make me feel if it fails on a run with those people?

I got no reason to pony up for some overpriced kit when mine works great. Its not broke no reason to fix . The money I saved helped pay for ,Lockers and gears RCV axles you name it. My rig is no slouch I would be willing to go head to head wiith any comparable XJ ,Standard width axles and 35s. My Tires are crap Ill still wheel it.
Talk is cheap ,Lets see what kit works best . Lets see who breaks and who stays togther. I seen some of the backyard junk at this site and I have heard the break down stories . If you have a jeep its going . to break . I got no worries about my suspension lift. Now anything Chrysler its just a matter of time before it gives up the ghost..

Here's a thought.. If you can afford new them why not buy used? it's what I did with just about every peice of my lift. I'd rather have used good stuff than new lousey cheap stuff.

Back