• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IRO OTK Steering kit installed

kc_eiland

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed the IRO OTK steering kit yesterday (with the 5/8" upgrade) and I'm very happy with it. The kit is beefy and steering is extremely tight. The only downside or potential week point would be the clamps. I'm not a huge fan of them. I may figure out a way to beef them up later (replace them with a jam nut or something along those lines) but until then, I'll just enjoy NOT having a 1/4 turn of dead space in the steering wheel anymore. :clap:

Install was pretty easy, except drilling the knuckles and pitman arm. And the only reason that was a pain is because my 5/8" drill bit BENT while drilling the first knuckle, so I had to stop and get a new bit.

So that's pretty much it. Just thought I'd share. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see them.

picture.php

[/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://www.naxja.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=517&pictureid=3513%5b/IMG"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.naxja.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=517&pictureid=3513[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]][/SIZE][/FONT]
These pics aren't the best but I'm at work and boss is looking at me crazy as it is. I'll take/post more when I get home (now that I know what I'm doing).

I hear some have good luck with it, others don't. I fell in the 'don't' category.

It is nice, and beefy, and not nearly as bad to setup and adjust as some say, but after a few months I'm not happy. The passenger side bolts just keep coming loose, and have now opened up the hole in the knuckle so it is no longer tight, aka knuckle needs replaced now....

I have the Rustys otk on my other jeep, with both tie rod and drag link on top of the passenger knuckle and it has never come loose, no issues whatsoever.... And it's been installed twice as long as the IRO steering.

Just watch the passenger side, and torque it often, I even used locktite. If it comes loose and you don't catch it in time you will ruin the knuckle

Here are some updated pics of the IRO steering kit. I absolutely love it. I used blue Lock-Tite on the threads and haven't had any issues of nuts loosening. Next real test is to take it off road and see how steering feels afterwards.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Like I said, watch the passenger side knuckle bolt, keep it tight!

Looks good!

I just ordered this kit!! Stoked to get it in and all installed. Did it come with the mounts for a steering stabilizer?

The kit does comes with a clamp for the steering stabilizer. It now attaches to the tie rod instead of the drag link.

The passenger side bolts just keep coming loose, and have now opened up the hole in the knuckle so it is no longer tight, aka knuckle needs replaced now....

SAMSET's rig has the same problem... pass side keeps coming loose and now the knuckle is wallowed out.

keep an eye on it!

other than that, its pretty beefy.

SAMSET's rig has the same problem... pass side keeps coming loose and now the knuckle is wallowed out.

keep an eye on it!

other than that, its pretty beefy.

I'm thinking about safety wiring the nuts and bolts in place. Being an aircraft mechanic by trade, I know this is a guaranteed way to keep hardware from backing off. There should be enough room to drill holes in the nuts and bolts. I may tackle that project this weekend.

I've had the kit on for about 6 yrs and never had an issue with the bolts coming loose.

No, I just used the hardware it came with.

Well some guys can wheel on a Dana 35, every rig seems to be a little different.
What I can tell you is that I have heard of lots of guys having the same issue, and mine happend in <200mi.

Also, I've noticed the misalignment spacers they use are shit, I crushed 2 just tightening to their specs. I wonder if that had something to do with it? Misalignment spacers start to crush and the bolt is loosened. That and so much force in opposite directions on top and bottom of the knuckle

Well, 4 months later, and about 5,000 miles, and the IRO OTK is still nice and tight for me. Nothing wallowed out, steering has virtually no play and I'm still loving it.

The ones with boots loosening up probably had a bur on the knuckle when it was tightened down, over tightened the bolt or didn't tighten it enough. Or when they drilled the knuckle they walked it out a bit then and compounded the problem by doing one of the aforementioned.

Back