• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internet connection help

My biggest problem with cable, is budget wise... AFAIK, you cannot get cable for less than $60 a month... which is fine if you were living in sweden, and had TRUE BROADBAND, but cable is only slightly faster than a $35-40/month dsl service...

There is nothing wrong with dsl... sounds like someone drank the cable internet salesmans coolaid. YES, dsl is shared by the neighborhood, and that means what? .

It's actually the opposite DSL has a dedicated line to the DSLAM. With cable they share the channels to the hub.

Also the frequency cable uses for upload is lower than the tv freq and it gets heavy interference.

but don't hate they can get 20 down for .5 seconds once a month.

Rant on all you want. I have uverse by AT&T which comes over twisted copper anyway. And don't go thinking that every other corporation owned product you love doesn't plot, scheme, and screw you for another almighty dollar.

rant   [rant] Show IPA
verb (used without object)
to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave: The demagogue ranted for hours.

This is not the word you are looking for.

How very literal of you....good luck with your issue.

meh. I actually like my cable company.

$40 a month for 10Mb down and 2 up.

and yes, I really get those speeds on a consistent basis. I routinely have over a MB download speeds, and that's throttled in my DD-WRT router(QoS FTW!). I checked the logs for last month just now, router says I downloaded 40 GB of data. I was not throttled, I've never been throttled.

Now DSL in my area brings the full suck. It was Verizon and now is Frontier. Max speed is 3MB, and that's if you're within the 30 feet of the DSLAM.

I think it's much more important to pick an ISP that doesn't suck, rather than what technology they're using.

I had Frontier DSL for the first 3 years I was in MN. I've got no real problem with Frontier, the only real problem was when their authentication servers went down, and I was cut off for 36+ hours (and that should be very atypical.) I'd have no problem going back on Frontier service if that was the highest speed available.

I've got Mediacom cable service now, and my internal WiFI is far slower than than my cable service.

Back