• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internet connection help

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My connection is crap I have 6mbps ATT DSL and I get 3mbps down on a good day and the Line is VERY unstable.

I know my line noise is way high. Is there anything I can do to improve it? If I got a good modem instead of the crap ATT modem would it help with the disconnects?

9ad70a46.jpg

df6799eb.jpg

I recently went thru a bunch of dsl problems, call tech support, they'll help you!

In my case, they had to switch over to another line at the neighborhood switch box thingy, and replace a corroded phone jack... which was no big deal for a dsl tech guy with a loaded truck, and all that jazz.

You're on a more recent form of DSL than I've tinkered with.

How far are you from the head-end?

Personally, I'd suspect a bad connection.

anyway to look up the location of the head end?
They put in a small building up here but it might just be a relay of some sort. The building they put up is a hair less than 3 miles away. But like I said it's small like 10'x10'

Tech Support should be able to tell you. Have them look at your connection.

Anyone know what line noise is normal? I've seen 6-9 looking around on the web.

I'll call them again, my parents called them and they said it was their computers.

<snort> "And just *HOW* is is my computer's fault, when *YOUR* modem, which is between my computer and your head-end equipment, is showing 3gbps and assorted DSL errors?"

Well my parents didn't really know enough to check their modem but that's what I'm going to say! lol.
I just went through this with comcast on my father in laws cable. They kept blaming his computer for wifi disconnects they replaced the router after hours on the phone with tech support and boom no more problems.
When you physically touched the cable modem it disconnected the computers and yet it was still the computers not their made in china equipment.

I'll call them again, my parents called them and they said it was their computers.
Thats BS! Either a bad connection at the head end or something with the line at your house. Better than 90% of errors like that deal with line quality. Just don't take no for an answer! Get them to get a tech out there to test with his equipment. I was having the same issues and had one tech come out and did some work and it worked for a couple of days then problems. At least, when it was Qwest, the 2nd time they came out with supervisor and spent three hours fixing it and haven't had one issue since. They reran line from the box to my modem, installed a new modem, installed a new box outside, and did some work at the street and headend!

do yourself a favor.

run a wire from the test jack on the box outside the house to the modem.

See if the numbers improve.
If so, run a new direct line to the modem, as it's house wiring problem. If it's house wiring problem and the tech shows up they're going to charge you.

do yourself a favor.

run a wire from the test jack on the box outside the house to the modem.

See if the numbers improve.
If so, run a new direct line to the modem, as it's house wiring problem. If it's house wiring problem and the tech shows up they're going to charge you.

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

I was expecting to be charged, and after months of time outs, i was ready to pay... but i wasnt charged a dime. Im sure this depends on the company.

probably.
I know Verizon/Frontier will not touch anything past the NID unless you:
A) Have the "In home wiring" service plan @ $10 a month

B) Pay them

anyway, tech support is goin to ask him if he's had the wiring in the house checked out, and if you can say
"Yeah I ran a direct line from the test jack to it"
you can skip that portion of the 9 hours you'll be on the phone with them.

So is using DSL....but I suppose that it's probably your only option if that's why you're using it :shhh:

You're right cable is so much better. I want to pay for internet that only reaches the bandwidth rating on spikes. I want to pay for a company that fought to make it legal to say you have unlimited internet when really it has a cap. Or pay a company that decides what I can or cannot do with my internet by bandwidth throttling.

No thanks even if I could get cable I wouldn't.

There is nothing wrong with dsl... sounds like someone drank the cable internet salesmans coolaid. YES, dsl is shared by the neighborhood, and that means what? I do MASSIVE ammounts of bittorrent transfers with my dsl, and have been doing so for years...

Its definately more important to vet your dsl/cable ISP, than to pick between cable and dsl.... dsl (and cable) companies are now throttling bandwith... AND limiting data rates on a monthly basis... this was bullshit back in 2002, and its still bullshit.

Back