• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing JK shocks on an XJ (write up)

I'd like to bump this up and get more info. I been looking at JK shocks lately and noticed there seems to be two sizes. One set is 2" shorter than the other set. I see some with rear shocks at 24.5" and some with rear shocks at 22.5". Does anyone know which models come with what?

I would also like this info. anyone?

rubicon and regular jk's have diff shock package iirc. rubi's are red and black

Reviving this thread...

So to get the JK shocks ready to use on an XJ, is it just the one set(2) of shocks that has to be modded? or all 4?

From what I gather it's just the bar pins on the 2 shocks that has to be changed.

Going to bring this thread back for one more question...

Got all the metal sleeves pushed out. For the fronts, I know I have to either use the bar pins from XJ shocks or BPEs, do I have to do anything for the front upper portion of the shock?

And what about the rear? Do I have to do anything for the rear or is it bolt in ready after removing the JK metal sleeve...Is there a metal XJ sleeve that has to go in? I've got 0 experience w/XJ shocks as this is my first time I have needed to mess w/shocks.

I have the shocks and coils from a 2010 Rubicon sitting on the floor of the shop that installed my Rock Krawler 2.5. If anyone in the lower mainland wants them, PM me. Free for Naxja members. Or anyone who wants to wheel, really.

I think you have to remove the sleeve out of the lower bushing and that's it. I believe the bar pin on the other end is bolt on with the xj's setup. (for the rear)

Going to bring this thread back for one more question...

Got all the metal sleeves pushed out. For the fronts, I know I have to either use the bar pins from XJ shocks or BPEs, do I have to do anything for the front upper portion of the shock?

And what about the rear? Do I have to do anything for the rear or is it bolt in ready after removing the JK metal sleeve...Is there a metal XJ sleeve that has to go in? I've got 0 experience w/XJ shocks as this is my first time I have needed to mess w/shocks.

the front tops are bolt in, no mods needed. the rear bottom bushing is too tight of a fit onto the lower shocks mounts when the metal sleeve is removed. i managed to ream the bushing out so that it would fit, you could probably do the same.

I did this mod two years ago and love these shocks. I got them off my friends rubi when he lifted it only 500 miles on the shocks. you do need to press the metal sleeves out, and use the mounting hardware from your old xj shocks, the bar pin will fit, I put it in with a vise, and socket. I have 4" of lift and they are working great. I was concerned as I ran them with no lift for 1 year thought I ruined them from all of the bottoming out, but it didnt seem to affect them. Not something I would recommend though as the ride was so horrible it felt like it would rattle your fillings out.

the front tops are bolt in, no mods needed. the rear bottom bushing is too tight of a fit onto the lower shocks mounts when the metal sleeve is removed. i managed to ream the bushing out so that it would fit, you could probably do the same.

Mine fit with a little help of some grease. Nice and tight, just like I like em. :smootch:

The install is very self explanatory once you get the old ones off and compare them to the new shocks. Follow the example in the first post and you'll be fine. Don't be skeared.

Sorry, I missed this thread getting bumped a few times. to answer a few questions:

Yes, you will need to press out all four metal sleeves in the new shocks.

You will need to press in the bar pins on the front, the rears do not need anything presses back in as the bushing slides right over (with a little grease) the lower shock mount on the rear axle.

The top of the front and rear new shocks mount just like your old XJ shocks, with no modifications needed.

FWIW, I have been running mine for quite some time now. The ride great and they work very well offroad :)

2010024.jpg

John

I put these shocks on my xj when i lifted it a month ago, they are a little stiff but not horrible. caution: i would not use these in the front if you have 4" of lift. i only have an inch of down travel from ride height. in the rear i have 4.5" of lift and they work perfect even without the bar pin eliminators. so if your going to run these with 4" of lift just buy the rears and get aftermarket shocks for the front.

I put these shocks on my xj when i lifted it a month ago, they are a little stiff but not horrible. caution: i would not use these in the front if you have 4" of lift. i only have an inch of down travel from ride height. in the rear i have 4.5" of lift and they work perfect even without the bar pin eliminators. so if your going to run these with 4" of lift just buy the rears and get aftermarket shocks for the front.

Weird cuz mine didn't fit in the back and I have 4.5". I only had 2" downtravel on driver's side and 3" on passenger side (axle tilted for sye so driver's side mount is lower). I over-extended them on potholes in my parking lot. They rode very nice but were so annoying so they came off.

I've currently got 6 inches but will be going down to 4.5 when I get a chance. Ive also relocated my 8.25 mounts to flush with the tube centerline. Would these work for me in the rear? At 4.5 and possibly with some bpe's, would they work up front?

Tapatalky

I've currently got 6 inches but will be going down to 4.5 when I get a chance. Ive also relocated my 8.25 mounts to flush with the tube centerline. Would these work for me in the rear? At 4.5 and possibly with some bpe's, would they work up front?

Tapatalky

How much did you gain on the rear axle mounts? 4" higher than stock or somewhere around there? they should fit in the rear (that's what she said :laugh2:) with some bumpstopping. You can get them to work up front by using "raised" bpe's. Get or make BPE's like Full Traction has and use 1 or 2 inch spacers underneath em. You are just raising the lower axle mount up whatever height needed.

BPE1005-1.jpg

Last edited:
you can cheat on the fronts and stack a 1/2" worth of washers between the body and shock... and some BPE... that makes them good for about 3.5" in the front

before measuring them I tried to run them on new 4.5" coils... they where about 1/2" too short to mount up

Back