• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a lift Friday, Saturday, Sunday if necessary

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I bought a Rusty's 4.5 inch spring pack kit to replace the 3 inch budget job the the previous owner of my rig had installed. Needless to say, I am way jazzed about the project and can't wait to get started on it this Friday, right after Thanksgiving. If all goes well, I expect to do the front end and transfer case brackets Friday, and hit the rear end Saturday. If I run into an unexpected problem, I've got Sunday set aside as a contingency.

If anyone is around the West LA area and willing to lend a hand, or even stand around and offer helpful advice, I'll be wrenching away in a driveway on the 2700 block of Midvale Ave. You can PM me for an exact address if you need it, though I'm quite sure my rig will be the only XJ on jack stands on that block at that time. ;) I can't offer to barbecue or anything like that because its my mom's place and I'm just borrowing her driveway, but I'll have some cold beer, water, and soft drinks on hand, and can always send my GF on a burger or taco run if anyone gets hungry. Any help would be appreciated.

You're pretty near me - I can roll by Friday, I'm planning to go to the junkyard black Friday sale in the morning.

Shoot me a PM if anything changes or you need me to bring anything.

- Scott

Soak the bolts tonight with PB Blaster.

First, a huge thanks to Scott (Lurch) for his help Friday! I'm not saying that I couldn't have done it without him, but his technical know-how (and impact wrench) sure sped things up! I'm sure his time is as valuable to him as mine is to me, so his willingness to give so much of his time to someone he didn't even know is a testament to his good character. I'll pass it forward when the opportunity arises.

The job is done. I put in full days Friday and Saturday, and had just some details to finish up yesterday (Sunday). I gained about an inch and a half at the front end and about an inch at the rear. More importantly, the rig drives much better than before. And I finally found and resolved a clanking noise that's been buggin' the heck out of me for a long time. (Upper rear shock bushings were deteriorated.)

Next on the to-do list: bar pin eliminators for the shocks front and rear (what a PITA those are!) and some extended brake lines. Also, I need to replace the cable on the Ox locker that wore from contact with the tire.

Can't wait to test the new lift at the next SoCal Fest!

Probably. Unless I can arrange my schedule to make the toy run on December 8.

You can set up a run to miller jeep trail, Rowher Flats, Azusa and get a group to join you. :)

Back