• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a 99+ 4.0 Intake Manifold & Banks look-alike header

I know the idler and tensioning system are different, but the idler is the same size and basically relocated from the pre 96 position.

I could have sworn the belt size that came off of my friend's 96 before we ditched the A/C and relocated the alternator seemed to be the same size on my 95.

The reason I am asking is I am running a gatorback on my 95. I could buy a new one sure, but if I could reuse it would be great!

In XJ92's pictures it appears he is using the new idler pully with the new power steering bracket as wel as the pre 96 idler pully to the left of the thermostat housing.

He should be deleting that pully to the left of the thermostat housing.

I'm not sure how he got the 99 belt to fit with BOTH idler pully's!

Indeed the 99 belt is shorter than the pre 96 belts. I just did the 99 power steering pump and 99 bracket swap a few days ago. I did not swap intakes nor exhaust manifolds yet.

i have a 99' 4.0 XJ.....had a busted exhaust manifold so I replaced it...got everything back together, started the engine and it instantly took off to 6,000rpm's and I had to shut it down. Re-checked everything...looked for leaks and loose hoses...can't find any reason for this. Anyone have any thoughts?

i have a 99' 4.0 XJ.....had a busted exhaust manifold so I replaced it...got everything back together, started the engine and it instantly took off to 6,000rpm's and I had to shut it down. Re-checked everything...looked for leaks and loose hoses...can't find any reason for this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Check your throttle body. Air is leaking past it causing the high rev. Did you put a different throttle body on? Check where it seals to the intake manifold and make sure there are no obstructions. An uncontrolled amount of air is getting past the throttle body. The XJ's computer adjusts the fuel to the air coming in and it revs uncontrollably.

did you know this is a 4 year old thread and your post isn't on topic?

Back