• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing 8.8. Do I install pumpkin off center?

I'm not a fan of running spacers either, but what is really the issue for the OP having the rear axle slightly narrower, especially if running 4 inch or less backspaced wheels? If it's just for appearance, it won't be noticeable with unless you point it out to someone when running 31 inch or larger tires on 4 inch or less BS wheels and even less noticeable with bigger tires. BTW, there's plenty of stock vehicles out there purposely designed with a narrower track in rear than front to improve handling.

Offsetting the perches seems feasible with some passenger side brake mods, but it's not something I would personally do. Either way, keep us posted on what you decide and how it works out. I would be interested in your results.

uhoh, an e-peen fight between a user and a registered vendor who's been on the site for a year longer! I wonder who I'm going to trust more...
You base the value of information on a forum solely on "who was here first"? :doh:

I am running a 8.8 and narrowed HP44, I think I know my axles.
You sure are saying a lot without saying anything at all. You still have not answered my question.

so, this guy, in the pacific north west, runs a single wheel spacer, that means its ok!

also, ba-reido clearly knows his axles, he has at least 2!

nobody said it was gonna fold like a taco, it wont. but why setup something in such a way? if it was me, every single time i removed the single wheel spacer, i would feel like a retard. why not set it up right? doctor94r nailed that shit on the head! pwnt.

By putting one spacer on you can move the pinion to the center, which keeps the DS from hitting the muffler, and you also get back to having the axle at stock width.

-Alex

By putting one spacer on you can move the pinion to the center, which keeps the DS from hitting the muffler, and you also get back to having the axle at stock width.

-Alex

I've had no issue with the axle being narrower. You're talking about 3/4 of an inch on each side. Get out a ruler or take a look at your thumbnail. That's about how far.

Even if it does hit the muffler (mine did for about 2 seconds until it fixed itself) I don't think that's much of a reason either. You got a show polished stainless steel muffler on your XJ that you hit with polish everytime you go wheeling? Me either.

Besides the additional expense (because the kid doesn't have enough money to do the driveshaft right, why is he buying a spacer he doesn't need), running one wheel spacer complicates an otherwise simple installation. There are no vibe issues on an XJ by installing the axle true to the rest of the vehicle.

FWIW, I have an 8.8 from a '98 with discs, spool, 4.56's, tubes welded, a super 8.8 kit and a ruff stuff install kit and diff cover. I've done just about everything you can do to it and then went and beat on it at a winterfest in flat nasty, a couple tellico runs and at Moab, with the stock D35 driveshaft :clap:

If it works, why reinvent it?

Last edited:
I'm getting new rims because my current setup on a STOCK axle leaves my sidewalls within 1/4" of my leaf springs. Taking off 3/4" on each side leaves me in a bit of a bind...

Good to know for sure about the d35 driveshaft. What do people run for an SYE on a d35? V8 ZJ front DS? That's what I've been considering.

-Alex

I still have original exhaust and my DS never hits the muffler. The advantage of having stock width actually escapes me somewhat with so little difference. Obviously stock offset wheels won't work, but my turning radius is actually slightly tighter because of the geometry and it really has no other discernible affect. I will get back to stock when I go to the Super 88, but that is not the reason I am doing it.

After all the research I've done on XJ 8.8 swaps I have never heard of anyone centering the pumpkin and using one wheel spacer. This seems very sketchy to me. Also, those longer spring perches=no axle wrap.

Here's my 8.8 after install. You can't even really tell its offset. The best mod I've done by far.

88underjeep.jpg

Hows it look with the weight of the vehicle on the axle and not on jack stands?

Didn't move a bit.
Also, did you burn those spring perch's in without prepping the axle?
Of course!!

Funny, how many panties got in a bunch for not being a sheep. I'll be sure to post up when my rig explodes.

Alex, thanks for the info!

It was never about you being a "sheep", it was about how retarded it sounded and looks to use one wheel spacer to make up for lack or proper install. It also wasn't about whether it would work one way or the other.

Hell, with that kind of "lets throw this together this way cause I don't want to do it properly" mentality then guys might as well just start throwing a single spacer on the passenger side of their front axles when they lift them. Cause you know that would avoid having to get an aftermarket/adjustable track bar (or God forbid re-drilling the stock bracket) when the axle shifts to the driver side.

But, you also burnt those perches in without prepping the axle. I feel I'm talking to a tree if this quality of work is acceptable for you.

I was being sarcastic about the welding.

If I take the time to research an 8.8 mod, and post a simple question on "why won't this work", not "how do you all like to install your 8.8s", then I'd believe I'd have done the research to prep the axle first, measure, tack, and weld (with 220 btw).

Thanks for all your help.

guys might as well just start throwing a single spacer on the passenger side of their front axles when they lift them. Cause you know that would avoid having to get an aftermarket/adjustable track bar (or God forbid re-drilling the stock bracket) when the axle shifts to the driver side.

Haha perfect analogy :)

Quote:

start throwing a single spacer on the passenger side of their front axles when they lift them. Cause you know that would avoid having to get an aftermarket/adjustable track bar (or God forbid re-drilling the stock bracket) when the axle shifts to the driver side. :doh:

Hey,Just like the pumpkin spacer thingy:laugh:.

Hey, maybe thats why spacers come in two packs? To correct the 8.8 offset pinion and the tracbar problems!

people taking shots at your work, is WHY people post their stuff online, theres lots of great people here who know a lot more then me, i welcome their comments/concerns, and so should you! we dont paid by the post, we're enthuesiests.

if you cleaned the perches, it sure doesnt look like it, or you did it after the tack (which is like, dumb?) it's much easier to do it beforem, and no compromises.

Hey, maybe thats why spacers come in two packs? To correct the 8.8 offset pinion and the tracbar problems!
:roflmao: I LOVE this logic!

Back