• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing 8.8. Do I install pumpkin off center?

installing one wheel spacer and offseting the axle sure does sound hokey... im pretty sure thats what he was having trouble beleiving he heard.

I can see vibration issues being much more pronounced on a Wrangler due to the shorter wheelbase, would make the offset cause a larger angle in the driveshaft.

OP - I would assume so, just match up engine/tranny and it should if everyone with a d35 has no issue doing an 8.8 swap on their stock shaft. Lift may increase the length of shaft you need though, maybe a manual w/d35 rear driveshaft would work if you have an auto and need more length? I don't have a dana spicer catalog on hand for single cardan driveline lengths and applications, I do have J321-CV though, which covers all the shafts they make with a double cardan at one end and a single at the other. If you run into trouble with length tell me exactly what your XJ had stock (assuming 4.0/aw4/np231/8.25, what year? I forget) and how much longer or shorter you need the shaft to be and I can probably look up a donor vehicle for a rear hack-n-tap SYE for it. If you want to do it yourself just google for J321-CV and look through the catalog till you find the CV shaft you're trying to use, get the length measurement, add/subtract as much as it looks like you need, and look for another 1310 CV shaft with the right length.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Well I got almost everything done last night.

The perch on the driver's side has about 1.75" clearance. The pass side has about .75". The DS is nice and straight. It's all just tacked on right now. I'll double check the caliper bolts before I weld it all up.

The leafs are set on the perches and it will be a piece of cake if I just have to slide the axle over .5".

Thanks for all the help guys.

Btw, my DS does look like it's going to be about 1.5" short. I have no SYE, and don't want to drop more $ for it now. I bought the kit from ruffstuff, and the leaf pin is in the first hole. I was hoping to move my axle back to use the last hole.

Well I ended up running the diff as planned. DS straight, pumpkin off-centered to the driver's side. No problem w/the caliper bolts.

DSCN3835.jpg

DSCN3836.jpg

Nope, I haven't installed it yet - still working on getting all the stuff I need bought, shipped, fabbed up, etc. I'll be installing it centered, dealing with the minor vibrations (I can't even hear the vibes from my horribly angled 8.25, 3.5" lift, and 96+ TC output over my MTs) and using rims with less backspacing.

im assuming you cant feel them either.

Well I ended up running the diff as planned. DS straight, pumpkin off-centered to the driver's side. No problem w/the caliper bolts.

Hows it look with the weight of the vehicle on the axle and not on jack stands?

Also, did you burn those spring perch's in without prepping the axle?

Have you actually even done this or just thought you had a brilliant idea but really have no clue?

As well, the idea to run one spacer on the axle to make up for lack of proper installation is about the most hill-jack thing ive read.

Wow you really have no clue, this works and it has been done plenty of times on 8.8 swaps in the PNW. Running 1 small spacer is not going to screw with the axle, or damage the wheel studs or anything else. Maybe you can't get your caliper bolts off because you are using spring perches that are too long.

-Alex

I am not debating whether this can be done, but why would you? I am running mine "housing centered" offset pumpkin under a 91 XJ and have had zero clearance issues and zero vibrations. My e-brake was easy to set up, etc... Eventually I will do the Super 88 kit and eliminate my C-Clips as well as go Chromoly axles... none of which would be possible if the axle were offset.

Running a spacer on 1 side, that idea is so lastarakind of like changing one shock. But at least you don't have to worry about your wheel falling off of the other side.Instead of both sides, one less thing to worry about.
Oh and did I forget to mention the spring perches "welded" onto an unprepped axle? Hope I never have to follow you......Worrying about your axle coming loose, let alone getting hit with your lost tire and wheel bouncing across the highway......

Running one spacer sounds pretty sketchy to me. I don't know why you wouldn't just install it the same way it came out...

I've done 3 of these swaps and every time I have run the diff off center and have had ZERO problems. Why mess with a good thing IMHO?

My current 8.8 has a UBE kit on it that I intentionally made long. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I tried to center the diff. I still clear the caliper bolts just fine and I have a hella beefy mount and great clearance and a clean looking axle.

Wow you really have no clue, this works and it has been done plenty of times on 8.8 swaps in the PNW. Running 1 small spacer is not going to screw with the axle, or damage the wheel studs or anything else. Maybe you can't get your caliper bolts off because you are using spring perches that are too long.

-Alex

Who did this in the PNW that you're talking about? Matt?

That would really surprise me. It makes no sense to run it like that rather then having the pumpkin slightly offset.

Who did this in the PNW that you're talking about? Matt?

That would really surprise me. It makes no sense to run it like that rather then having the pumpkin slightly offset.

Didn't H do it? I thought a few guys on PNWJeep were talking about it a few months back? I'm trying to find the thread on it...

-Alex

-Alex

I have no clue? I'm not the one botching an axle install by "compensating" with lack of proper setup. Someone goes through the time and cost of swapping an axle only to hobble it together because running a bandaid fix is easier than setting up drive shaft angle is lame.

You also dodged my question. I have done this swap. Many times. You didn't answer that you have. Someone you know who did the swap doesn't make you anything more than the lacky with an opinion.

You obviously can't read either. I never said I can't get the bolts off, in any of my posts. I said there's a slight interference, NOT that they can't be removed.

uhoh, an e-peen fight between a user and a registered vendor who's been on the site for a year longer! I wonder who I'm going to trust more...

I know spacers aren't really BAD, I just... don't like them. Like I said, I am morally opposed to them ;)

Back