• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed adj uppers n lowers now steering probs, bumpsteer? Caster?

From your description your caster measurement is more than likely very low.
Factory Caster alignment specs are 5.5*-7.0*; depending upon model year.
When measured caster is below 4* your steering wheel will be sluggish to come back to center (as others have posted) and will cause your vehicle to track poorly and drift on the crown of the road.
Installed RE Drop Brackets a couple years ago; with 5.25" of lift and RE adjustable UCAs and LCAs and the previously listed chart is what I used to adjust the control arms. My caster measured 7* during the alignment check.
According to Roger Daniels (SoCal alignment guru) the caster should be slightly less on the right than the left and should be more than 5*.
The chart should get your caster where it's acceptable until you can have the alignment checked.

That is true. Both LCA's are set to the same length. UCA's, however, can be different lengths to set slightly different caster sweep readings.

Very very helpfull guys! Thank you.....

Moose... i have a LP 30, i want a hp and keeping an eye out.

Charles... thank you.... when i get time i will throw it on my alignment machine at work, i jsut wanted to try and get it close at home since my schedule is booked mechanical wise at work.

So moose you are telling me 4-55 * and charles you are telling me 5.5-7* so i am not sure what to shoot for on the rack or at home

According to my 2000 FSM, 7-7.5 degrees is optimal. Don't worry about caster as much as pinion angle. Get your pinion inline with the Tcase yoke. Caster varies by different years and lift heights. You're not going to damage anything with less caster, it's just going to want to wander more. like Charles said, 5.5-7.5 is fine, just don't be surprised if you end up in the 4-5 range. I've seen several guys running 3.5-4.5, just depends on what corrects your specific situation. I threw away my alignment printout, and I don't remember exactly what I'm at, but I think it was 4.6 something

Back