• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Independence Weekend in the San Juan Mountains

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
We just got home a little while ago from spending our holiday weekend in the San Juan Mountains. We left Thursday after work and made our camp along Mineral Creek a few miles north of Silverton.

After getting a good nights sleep, we got an early start on Independence Day and made out way over to the Alpine Loop, starting with Engineer Pass.

Following the shelf road on Engineer Pass
IMG_0151.JPG

This last winter wasn't good to the Mickey Breene Mine
IMG_0157.JPG

Here's a picture of the same building from last July
IMG_5654.JPG

At the top of the pass
IMG_0206.JPG

Plenty of snow on the other side of the pass
IMG_0211.JPG

What's left of the Bonanza Empire Chief
IMG_0219.JPG

Stopped and took the short hike to Whitmore Falls
IMG_0225.JPG

Capitol City
IMG_0229.JPG

When we reached Lake City, we ended up stopping and grabbing some lunch. The town was packed for the holiday, so we waiting a bit longer for food that we had planned. After we did finally get our food and ate, it was time to jump on Cinnamon Pass and head back to Silverton.

Headed up to the pass
IMG_0238.JPG

Looking down past Cinnamon Pass. When we were here a month ago, this area was completely full of snow. Lots of melting going on.
IMG_0244.JPG

Looking down into Animas Forks
IMG_0246.JPG

We finally made it back to Silverton. We were planning on watching the fireworks here, but still had plenty of time before they started, so we decided to check out Clear Lake Trail not too far from our campsite.

IMG_0251.JPG

Headed up to Clear Lake
IMG_0258.JPG

Waterfall closer to the top of the mountain
IMG_0262.JPG

The trail up to Clear Lake is a just a number of switchbacks up the mountains.
IMG_0285.JPG

Up near the top, there were a few snow drifts that made the trail a bit narrow, but still manageable. The last 100 yards or so of the trail were blocked by a large drift still, so we had to make the short hike to Clear Lake. The lake was still a bit icy.
IMG_0276.JPG

After checking out Clear Lake, we headed back down the mountain and made our way back to Silverton to watch the fireworks display. We found some prime seats :)

IMG_0288.JPG

It was a very good show.
IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

After the show and getting stuck in some pretty bad traffic, we made our way back to the campsite for the night.

Saturday was another early day for us. Our destination was Telluride for some breakfast. We hopped onto Ophir Pass and made our way there.

On our way to Ophir Pass
IMG_0331.JPG

View from Ophir Pass
IMG_0335.JPG

Road down the other side into Ophir
IMG_0340.JPG

After some breakfast burritos in Telluride, we headed up the lower switchbacks of Black Bear Pass to checkout Bridal Falls
IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

When we are back in the area at the end of July, we hope Black Bear will be open so we can run the whole trail.

We then made our sway back down to town so that we could head up and over Imogene Pass, which had just opened two days before. (just ignore the sign)

IMG_0359.JPG

Unfortunately, we ran into a lot of traffic on this trail in both directions
IMG_0362.JPG

Another tour truck coming through the Social Tunnel
IMG_0365.JPG

Old structure at the Tomboy ghost town site
IMG_0387.JPG

Almost at the pass, looking back down
IMG_0395.JPG

The top of Imogene Pass...just as a thunderstorm came rolling in and it started to rain/sleet
IMG_0398.JPG

View up Imogene Creek
IMG_0413.JPG

Once back at Camp Bird Road, it was time to find Alex. He said he was going to spend the day in Yankee Boy Basin, so we took a quick drive up there looking for him.

Twin Falls....a lot less snow than a month ago
IMG_0418.JPG

Not only did we not find Alex there, but the trail wasn't open all the way to the Blue Lakes trailhead yet, so we turned around and headed back down to Ouray

IMG_0423.JPG

We stopped for dinner in Ouray at Maggie's Kitchen where they claimed to have the best burger in town. They had good burgers, and it is a small town...but it certainly wasn't the best burger I have ever had.

Before calling it a day, we made a short drive up to the Bandora Mine near our campsite.

Trail to Bandora Mine
IMG_0431.JPG

The Bandora Mine
IMG_0437.JPG

Sunday morning I finally met up with Alex and our goal was to check out the Red Mountain Mining District before heading home.

One of our first stops was the Yankee Girl
IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

Another mine shaft we passed
IMG_0460.JPG

Nice reflection in this pond
IMG_0464.JPG

Longfellow Mine
IMG_0468.JPG

Alex checking out the mine
IMG_0474.JPG

We completed the north section of the Red Mountain Mining District and started on the south section, however we were quickly stopped by some snow drifts and decided to turn around and head for home....after some winching, cutting, and shoveling.

US Basin
IMG_0475.JPG

Where we turned around
IMG_0476.JPG

It was a good weekend, and we are both looking forward to heading back out there in a few weeks :)

Wow, that's beautiful country! Some day I hope to get up there to check it out. Thanks for sharing the great pic's.

Great trip report as usual Randy!

How far from Grand are these trails, and can they be run in an afternoon/early evening?

nice pictures as usual!

What is the set up on your jeep?

Mtb Jak said:
What is the set up on your jeep?

Let's see what I can remember...

Approx. 5" lift with RE springs
TNT Y-Link
32x11.5 Maxxis Bighorns
4.56 Gears / Powertrax rear locker / Aussie front locker
Protofab front bumper with Warn M8000
Custom4x4Fabrication rear bumper with tire carrier
Tera 2lo
AJ's Rock Rails
etc.....

That's the basic stuff. if you have any more specific questions about the setup, let me know :)

Back