• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Incredibly stupid question - 30's vs 31's

we dont get jeeps to run small street tires, get the biggest tire you can fit, 31's are the smallest tire i would ever put on an xj.

If you don't have money to regear than "stuffing the biggest tire you can fit" is a dumb idea. Its not all about tire size. Larger tires combined with a lift will help with ground clearance and articulation. Just stuffing larger tires won't give much more articulation, and will slow you down if you don't regear.

Sometimes I think people believe they need the biggest tire they can find to substitute for something else that they are insecure about. hahaha

Thanks for the input guys. The end goal with this rig is general capability - I'd like to be able to wheel pretty much wherever I want to without necessarily going into the hardcore technical trails (more for camping and scenic touring). As such, 31" tires are about as large as I've ever really considered going.

In the end, I did pick up the DuraTracs in 245/75R16:

duratracs.jpg

These things are TONS quieter on the road than the MT/Rs they replaced (previous gen), but at this point they've only seen about 7 miles of asphalt so we'll see how they turn out in the end.

I just got a quote from RE for a 3.5" lift (RE6025) which should come out to ~$490 since I'll be omitting the LCAs ($95 savings, as I already have a set of adjustable uppers and lowers from IronMan 4x4 Fab that have been gathering dust for nigh on 9 months now). Now I just need to figure out whether or not I want the kink in the rear passenger side of the frame pulled or if I want to do 2.5" AALs and boomerang shackles to eliminate contact...

If you don't have money to regear than "stuffing the biggest tire you can fit" is a dumb idea. Its not all about tire size. Larger tires combined with a lift will help with ground clearance and articulation. Just stuffing larger tires won't give much more articulation, and will slow you down if you don't regear.

Sometimes I think people believe they need the biggest tire they can find to substitute for something else that they are insecure about. hahaha

I don't know, 31's on 3.55's is not all that bad. Of course 4.10's are ideal and I am getting ready to swap in 4.10 axles so it oughta do a little better. On the trip to Harlan I averaged just over 20 mpg according to my scangauge until we got into the mountains then it dropped to 19. This was toting around 350+ pounds of armor and a full cooler with camping gear in the back. At 2" with 31's the only rubbing I had was minimal with disco's and stock bumpstops, The rear has extended bumps.

I have 30x9.5 on stock rims and no lift. It has never rubbed but the swaybars have never been disconnected.

Ha Ha. I didn't read the second page so ignore the above. Your jeep looks real nice with the 245's.

Last edited:
Back