• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In Peoria for the summer....

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
I just moved to Peoria for the summer to work for Cat, just trying to see if there are any other members in the area and if there is anything interesting to do while here.

I just moved away from Peoria because of CAT, haha

There is a good group of jeep guys down there, that I still wheel with on occasion. MIJC.org They usually go on a couple trips every month, right now there is a group out in moab.

Care to elaborate on the moving away? I'm only here for an internship, so will hopefully get an idea of how cat is.

Ya not a problem, I was working in TC-L (Diesel Calibration Engineer) as a contractor working 2nd shift. My goal from the beginning was to start as a contractor and move into a fulltime position. I applied multiple times for my position to move to CAT employee. The only time they showed interest and made an offer was when I had another offer on the table, that I ended up accepting. They also didn't want to compete money wise with this other offer and benefits.

The management sucked but the people I worked with were great. Imo, at CAT you are just another number no matter what position you are in snd what you are doing.

Well thanks for the input. What's the town like? Any places to avoid or good spots to check out?

Awesome!

dont let it get you down though...peoria is a typical river town with good pockets and bad pockets. its a pretty place and theres lots of things to do. make friends with someone who has a boat :)

last time I was in Peoria I bought an XJ off some shady dude that wanted to be paid in cash, he counted it 6 freaking times on the hood of my truck and looked every bill over with a flashlight to look for the strips in the bills. He then wrapped the money in a grocery bag and aluminum foil and left on foot....it was a weird deal, but it had a legit title and the deal went through just fine. I felt like I was buying a block of black tar heroin from the mob or something. I had my kid with me and it was a bit unnerving for a few minutes, I had no idea it was going to go that way.

page 30 in the 2012 crime report will tell you where to stay away from
http://www.ci.peoria.il.us/crime-stats

I used 2011 crime report to find a good apartment to live in. The very bad area just west of downtown (knoxville ave) from the river to war memorial drive is considered bad for the most part, haha which is a good chunk of the city. I was not afraid to walk around during the day or afraid to drive thru at night, just keep you guard up. East peoria is pretty nice depending on the section. I lived by Busey back on N sheridan was I was in town.

if you have any questions post up...

Back